“Perfect Place for College Drop-off, Meetings, or Travel Breaks”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Massapequa, New York
“Perfect Place for College Drop-off, Meetings, or Travel Breaks”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is a lovey, relatively new hotel. It is clean, modern and the service is excellent. We stayed in a king suite which was large and comfortable. The bathroom was a nice size and there was an additional "bar" sink in the room which allowed two people to groom at the same time. The bed was comfortable and the sofa bed was as expected. The hotel has an indoor pool, a fitness center and they offer some additional off-premises perks. Breakfast was a bit above the usual morning fare only because the attendant was so dedicated. She knew many of the guests' preferences and she was exceptionally attentive. In the evening, they have trays of cookies and cheese, crackers and pepperoni. The service is extremely friendly and accommodating. The reason I say it is good for short stays stems from the area, not the hotel. I hear there are some great restaurants nearby, but we did not have the opportunity to try them. We did drive around to see what was nearby since we just dropped off our daughter at college. Downtown Utica was not a place I would want to explore on foot. There were times when we were uncomfortable in our car waiting at a red light. The atmosphere seems to change block by block. Therefore, this hotel does not qualify as a vacation spot for me, but as a hotel near my daughter's college, it can't be beat. The only fault with the hotel itself is that the doors closing are very loud. Every time someone near you enters or leaves, you hear the door closing. This is due to the style of the doors, not the guests. Also, it is not cheap to stay here. Rooms average around $180.00 to $220.00 per night during college activities.

Room Tip: End of hallways, away from elevators.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Lee A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear deedeelongisland,
Thanks so much for your detailed review! We've shared all your comments with our staff, and we'll continue to stress the importance of great guest service for all our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Canton, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at this particular hotel because they advertised queen sized rooms. The room was a suite and was very large with a sink and cabinets separate from the bathroom area. The beds were truly queen sized and not some scaled down mattress that somewhere between queen and full. We had four adults in the room and it was very comfortable with the amount of space. There was also a small sofa in the room that could convert to a bed.

The breakfast was awesome with pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, breads, fruits and juices. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

We did not use the pool or the exercise room but they both looked very nice. My son was told that if the exercise room did not have what was needed, he could use a nearby gym.

The hotel is also located within walking distance to Delmonico's Steakhouse where we have eaten in the past. The food there was excellent. We also loved the novelty of the old style McDonald's located beside of Delmonico's.

We would love to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend the suite if staying for more than one night with a family or if staying with adul...
1 Thank Cathy H
Lee A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Cathy H,
Thanks for taking the time to give us your review, I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed one of our two queen bedroom suites. We always recommend Delmonico's next door and are happy to give coupons for a free dessert with dinner.
Utica, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My daughter and i had an amazing stay because of these two attentive, resourseful , knowledgeable and insanely gracious young women... Karin was thorough, courteous, gracious, and went out of her way for every customer to provide service with a smile the likes of which you usually see at 5 star hotels and restaurants! Give this girl a raise, as she is the type of emplyee that is hard to find and she does her job spendidly...not only was the food properly serviced and attentively cleaned and prepped, but she went above and beyond the call of duty to specifically key into every diners needs and wishes. SUPERB! When we had a glitch that no one could have predicted ( noisey clanging, late night firemen banging around on the upper floors til all hours of the night) the staff- under the sage guidance of Ana sprang into action to do all they could do to abate the troubling problem...and they most astutely made accommodations to al those guests who were affected. my son is a new College student at a prestigious college nearby and i will be visitng a lot from Los Angelels... and you'd better believe that , largely because of the intensly well executed hospitality of both Karin and Ana, that my family will be back here consisitently for years to come. I will gladly recommend this fabulous " family" home away from home to all those visiting the stunning Utica area. Thanks for the chance to offer my thoughts and I will hopefully get a rroom next thursday when I return for another Freshman orientation! Cheers! v

Room Tip: go for upper floors in case people upstaire are noisy
1 Thank MOXIEmamma
Dear MOXIEmamma,
Thanks so much for your great review, we agree, Karin does rock! We're always encouraging great customer service so I'm glad to hear Karin and Ana really stepped up to take care of you!
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I rated the stay here at Holiday Inn Express highly because of these following employees Karin, Breakfast Attendant, Jennie, Dana, Omayra and Desiree House Keeping, Jeff and Scott in maintenance and housekeeping and Anastasia and Anna at the front desk. These employees made my stay for 3 weeks comfortable and pleasant even with the loud and obnoxious guests that came and went. These employees are the most loyal and caring bunch of employees for their guests that I have ever met at any of your IHG hotels. My husband stays 100 to 150 nights a year at the IHG hotels and this by far is my favorite hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear lauralee,
We're so happy to see you naming all of our associates that made you feel at home. We'll be sure to share you compliments with our ownership!
Fort Worth
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here July 16-20, 2014 for educational purposes (I had a test that lasted the entire weekend). When we checked in they offered us a complimentary bottle of water and had complimentary snacks available. Everyday they had some sort of late afternoon snack in the lobby. Front desk personnel were friendly and we had no issues. My husband asked for late check out just in case my test ran over & they were happy to accommodate us (we didn't have to use late check out, but it was good we had the option). The room itself was a great size (we had a King Size Suite) and had modern décor. This hotel is still new so no major issues with the room. The bed was a little harder than what I cared for and we had some house keeping issues, but I would stay here again if traveling to Utica. Happy Traveling!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mrslovestotravel,
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback! I'm so happy to hear our staff made you feel at home and that you enjoyed some of our amenities. If there's anything that you think we could do to help with sleep experience, please let me know.
Valley Stream, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Breakfast attendant Karin was excellent at her job. She always made you feel welcome. The staff was great too, I have stayed at this hotel twice already, and I would surely stay again if I am in Utica. Thank you

Room Tip: Any room you choose will be excellent.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear SuzannaDurr,
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback! We'll be passing on your compliments to the rest of our staff, and our management.
Babylon NY
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Breakfast attendant Karin was excellent ! The hotel staff was very attentive to all of our needs. I was traveling with my family on business we had 4 king suites that were just great ! This is the second time in the past 2 months that I needed to stay there and will surely be going back in the next month or so. Highly recommend this hotel.The Manager Lee was very accommodating !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank schshlpres
Dear schshlpres,
Thanks so much for coming back to stay with us again. We always enjoy hearing how friendly Karin is in breakfast. Hopefully we'll see you again soon!