“Great little home away from home in Utica”

Rosemont Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Utica B&B and Inns
St. John's, Canada
“Great little home away from home in Utica”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This was the 3rd time we stayed in the Rosemont Inn. we come every winter for a week to visit parents and family and every July for the Boilermaker to get in a good run! We love "our room" at the inn, and the breakfast is most fantastic! We enjoy it in our room every morning we are there. The clawfoot tub and antique furniture just add tot he charm. Ok, yes, Genessee Street is the main drag through Utica, so you see a little bit of everything on it - BUT it's a beautiful street and great location to whatever it is you wish to do/see/explore in and around Utica NY.
The family is great - and regarding an earlier review that commented on noise - I have to say I have not experienced this at all - and mind you - I do not have any children, making the possibiliy of hearing such things even louder if they truly did exist. But you can rest assured, you will have a fantastic sleep. And morning. We are looking forward to the Boilermaker this year - room already booked.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We found the Rosemont Inn to be a wonderful, relaxing getaway for our family. Our room was lovely, with lots of space for our 20 month-old daughter. We were pleased to find the room had a fridge, quant furnishings, claw-foot bathtub and lovely handmade soap. It was also very clean, as was the rest of the B&B. Our room felt very private and tucked away, which was a nice feature. The inn was quiet, we never even heard the other guests. The breakfast was lovely, and the tea and coffee were exceptional.

I noticed some of the other reviewers had concerns about the neighborhoods near by, but we felt very safe at the Inn.

The Rosemont Inn is a charming place to stay in Utica, the building itself has such character. If we visit Utica again we would defiantly want to stay at the Rosemont Inn!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank KimberlyZ
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 May 2010

My husband and I started our honeymoon here. The house is just beautiful. The interior is decorated with antique furniture and it has an old fashioned feel. We stayed in the Chantilly room. The king sized bed was nice, it was of the sleep number variety (you could make the bed softer or firmer) which isn't my favorite, but it wasn't uncomfortable. It was nice to have our own personal bathroom. I loved the ball and claw foot tub. The breakfasts were fantastic. She uses mostly local ingredients, which was absolutely delicious.

The house is not far from down town Utica. A few reviews mentioned that it was in a bad neighborhood, I wouldn't agree. Most of the other houses in the area are renovated or being renovated into offices. I certainly wasn't afraid at all during our stay. Its in a older section of town. There are 6 children living in the house, but we were not bothered by them at all. Obsessionally, we heard them on the stairs, but our room was right next to them.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
brooklyn
Reviewed 1 April 2010

My son and I stayed one night at the Rosemont Inn B&B while we were checking out colleges. Besides being a gorgeous house, our room was lovely, spacious and clean with Turkish towels in the bathroom. Our breakfast was excellently prepared and plentiful, served in a beautiful dining room. When factored into the price - it was quite the bargain!
Why stay only in a hotel when you can have a gourmet breakfast for no extra cost!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Needed a pit stop from a 5 plus hour drive on my way upsate New York. Stayed in the "Solitude" room which lived up to its name. The breakfast was very good and the Inn Keepers were very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed 12 October 2009

My husband and I were traveling to his college reunion in Rochester, NY and decided to break up the drive into 2 days. We found the Rosemont Inn at the last minute and booked it. We are so very happy we did. My motto is not to believe everything you read or are told until trying it out yourself. Boy, are we happy we did. The previous reviews are either bogus reviews or the people that wrote them must have awful luck when traveling. My husband and I found the Inn to be spotless and very comfortable. Both Rita and Bob were so very gracious. It is true there are no televisions in the rooms. However, there is a 'family room' area with a t.v. in it. We feel that a t.v. in a room of a B&B takes away from the overall feeling that you get when staying at one. The location of the Inn itself is on the main road, however for our needs of overnight (meaning 1 or 2 nights) it is perfect! Very close to the highway for easy access. We highly reccommend the Rosemont Inn B & B and we plan to stay there again when we pass through to upstate NY and Canada. Thank you Rita & Bob for everything.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Butterscotch71
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2009

When searching for lodging for a trip through upstate New York, I found this bed and breakfast inn, which was nicely presented on the website.

The property is a nicely restored Italianate home that is poorly furnished with uncomfortable, shabby Victorian pieces in the sitting room and library. The library has bright green wall to wall carpeting, and a TV with only local channels and poor reception. The library also houses a couple of pieces of exercise equipment, including some sort of trampoline in front of the sofa. The common areas are dingy, dark and either not air conditioned, or very poorly air conditioned.

The guest rooms are small and cramped. I found the bed comfortable, but there was only one very uncomfortable small chair in the room. There was no TV in the room, but there was a small refrigerator with a microwave sitting on top of it. These appliances, like the conglomeration of stuff in the library, looked out of place.

The bathroom was clean and spacious, and did have a small shelf for toilet articles above the pedestal sink. The shower rigged up in the middle of the claw foot tub was a challenge to use.

The breakfasts are good, with a distinct emphasis on healthy, if that's what you like.

This property is more like a rooming house than a bed and breakfast inn. Except for breakfast, there is no service. The innkeepers do not have a staff to help run the inn. They do everything themselves, as well as care for and home school six children. We came back in the evening to an unmade bed and no clean towels.

The children have the run of the house, and at times monopolize the library.

Lastly, this property is in a very scary, unsafe neighborhood. The block that the inn is on consists mainly of professional offices, but the next block is a housing project, with unsavory characters hanging out and blocking the sidewalk. I thought I would walk to a nearby drugstore to pick up a couple of things I needed, but when I got one block away from the inn, I realized that it was a very bad idea to do so. I was never so frightened in my life...and I was born and raised in New York City. So, if you should decide to stay at Rosemont Inn, please be careful!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PanAm53
innkeepermom, Owner at Rosemont Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 October 2009
I am very sorry that these guests were so dissatisfied with their stay. It sounds like our Inn was not a good match for their desires and expectations.

We are located on a main street in a very urban area that I would describe as transitional. It is slowly changing for the better. However, if you are uncomfortable in a setting with many "colorful" people, our Inn would not be a good choice. We chose to be in this location in the hopes of participating in the downtown urban renewal.

We love children and welcome them warmly to the Inn. We do also have 6 of our own children, whom you will likely see at some point if you choose to stay here. They often help serve breakfast or help guests carry their luggage. Again, if you dislike or are uncomfortable around children, you will probably want to choose some other lodging option.

The average size of our guest rooms is 15x17, plus full bath. Some are slightly smaller, one is slightly larger. We recently added TV to 2 of the rooms. The microwaves, refrigerators and exercise equipment were added in response to requests from our business travelers.

All guest rooms have window air conditioners. We usually have window air conditioners in the dining room and parlor but since the summer started out so cool we decided not install them this year. We will definitely install them next year.

We do have some cleaning assistants and we do usually provide daily room service. Obviously, we failed to do so for this guest and did not remedy the situation well. We have recently started giving out a separate cell phone number that guests can call if they have after hours service needs.

Rita Sleys (Owner and Innkeeper)