“A good hotel with issues”

Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Some issues. The room was cold and a bit damp, probably a factor of the weather, and the heater wasn't working. I called the front desk for a space heater, which was supplied. When I went into the room I couldn't find the light switch - it was a bit hidden, and when I did I realised the bedside lamp and alarm clock had been unplugged. At check-out there was a response problem with the billing system, and I left before the process had been completed. I received a call when I arrived home to tell me the issue had been resolved.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Good: Location is easily accessible from the highway; selection of places to eat nearby; quick wifi; decent-sized room; free hot/cold breakfast; friendly morning desk staff; average price for the area/travel season; clean.

So-So: A/C worked but clunky-noisy; not so friendly/helpful check in staff; room needs a reno in the near future.

This Best Western is easy to find, right off the highway on the main motel drag. It’s far away enough from the roads so that the street/highway noise wasn’t noticeable (the loud A/C kind of helped with that).

I was surprised to find that there’s actually two separate buildings that make up the motel: a single level strip just off the main lobby and a multi-level building to the side across the parking lot. We were given a room on the top floor of the separated building. Top floor is fine since I don’t have to worry about above-floor noise.

The afternoon check-in woman certainly gave us the feeling that we were bothering her (she wasn’t at the desk when we came in and strolled in from where we eventually realized was the breakfast area) based on her expression and dry comments towards us, but the morning staff were very pleasant greeting us for breakfast and during check-out.

The room was clean (kudos to the cleaning staff) but it does look a bit tired and is probably a year away from a major refresh or renovation before I’d call it grungy. Everything from the carpet, walls, and furniture to the bathroom is starting to look a little worn out. A/C worked but clunked and chugged a bit too loudly. The wifi worked well, though.

Breakfast had the full, typical hot/cold selection. Not crazy about the “egg rounds” but everything else was fine and the eating area is nice and bright and relaxing. If you can’t stomach motel breakfasts, there are a couple of restaurants on the road in front of the motel.

This particular Best Western is decent for a motel and one night stay if you can get a discount rate. There’s a lot of other motels in the area, so I’d check around before deciding to stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms extending from the main lobby seem pretty good: single level, parking right outside your r...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Was very pleased with the room and the front desk staff was great. Was on a motorcycle trip and knowing that Best Western is a motorcycle friendly hotel made choosing this hotel easy. The staff was extremely helpful in providing directions and information on the local area.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Chat P, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Adirondack Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for a wonderful review.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by our room. we earned a free night and fell in love with our room. we were there several years ago and didn't remember it much. lots of restaurants in the area. right off the highway. easy off and on.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Glad to hear you had a good stay with us. Our location is very convenient because everything our guest need is in walking distance from our hotel.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The rooms are very tidy and the beds are very comfortable. Bathrooms are a bit small. Breakfast was very good with the availability of eggs and sausage. I did have to search to find the fruit. We were on the second floor of an adjacent building, so very happy it chose not to rain too hard the evening of arrival. Overall, it was an excellent place to spend the night and close to the I-90 exit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel needs some updating but generally I found it just like my title says and the breakfast was also decent. I booked through Priceline and paid about a third of what the Hampton and Holiday Inn Express wanted so I was happy happy happy!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a wonderful review and I am also very happy to hear you got a great value by staying with us.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This motel is a hidden gem. It is located behind a retro McDonald's ( yes golden arches). I was pleasantly surprised that the motel was very clean, modern, and quite, all so near downtown Utica NY. It is very close to the NYS Thruway. The staff at check in was friendly, helpful, and cheerful. Breakfast was standard breakfast fare. I will stay there again if I am in the area.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for a wonderful review and we hope to see you again soon.