“Fine choice if you have to be in Utica”

Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Utica
PA
“Fine choice if you have to be in Utica”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

A utilitarian, busy, somewhat worn Radisson in downtown Utica. Geared for business travelers during the week, they seem to cater to weddings and parties on the weekends. We stayed 3 nights, with a very good value pre-pay rate. We were in town for a music festival and most of the musicians seemed to be staying there as well, which was fun!

What we liked: Sleep number beds, feather pillows, comfy chair and ottoman in the room, mini-fridge, large absorbent towels, lovely indoor pool and whirlpool at perfect temperatures and not overly chlorinated, free parking in city parking garage right next door, nice lobby business center with comfortable desks and fast computers and free printing. The front desk approved our late check out request with no hassle. The hairdryer in the room did not work, and the maintenance engineer cheerfully got us a new one in less than 5 minutes.

What we didn't like: Stained, worn carpeting everywhere we went, stained desk chair in our room, our room with two double beds was pretty cramped, extremely small bathroom, very noisy in the halls to the point of waking us several times on Saturday night. The elevators require a room key to access guest room floors - that's a nice safety feature except the room key reader in one of the two elevators was not working intermittently throughout our stay and that was a real hassle. The front desk reported the problem several times in my hearing, but it was not successfully fixed during our stay. The fitness center was closed for a maintenance issue. Breakfast is included in room cost Mon-Fri, but not on Sat and Sun - boo!

Overall, would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at the hotel. I appreciate your feedback and we will use your comments to fine tune our operation for future guests. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to the Utica area
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Elk River, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at this location for three nights, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Given it's a convention hotel we expected a great deal of professionalism. Thursday and Friday, nice, quiet place with an excellent breakfast buffet. Saturday night, though - it's Party Time in the hallways. Our family needed to get sleep that night because we had to be up and gone early. But for three full hours a wedding party yelled, screamed, yelled "Jiiiimmmmeeee" a half dozen times, was told her brother loved her because he brought playing cards, and all sorts of other non-sense - as loud as loud could be. A call to the front desk did no good. My entire family got three hours of sleep. The next morning I told the front desk person expecting at the very least some minor help on the bill. Instead we barely got a response, a sort of "that's too bad". I emailed the hotel (the email address on the Radisson website page for this hotel) and heard nothing.

I'm usually pretty tolerant of these things because I know a little noise in the hall will happen and it's not usually going to last long. But three hours, and no help from the hotel, and definitely no one who seemed to give a rip, that's not something I'm going to tolerate. For a hotel chain that's worked hard in our area to generate a stellar reputation, this sure isn't what we expected.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Utica hotels

Orange County New york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

A very nice hotel. Great staff that was extremely responsive, Nice size roon. The restaurant was also very good. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

From the outside, the hotel appears so-so but once indoors this hotel is sure to please. Stayed here for a local wedding. Rooms are spacious, clean and have comfortable beds. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Food was okay. Only major complaint was the smell of cigarette smoke on the main floor was overwhelming due to people smoking just outside of any door. Otherwise, great hotel!

• Stayed May 2011
, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear A2Trvlr,

Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay at my hotel. I appreciate your comments and I am very sorry about the smell of smoke. The hotel is 100% non smoking but people do insist on smoking right outside the entrance.

Thanks again and I hope we see you back again soon

Sincerely

Mark C
Pinnacle, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

I arrived at the Radison Hotel - Utica Centre on Sunday afternoon for a week long stay / series of meetings at the hotel. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk was very nice and upgraded me to a business class room. There are several items about the hotel that I liked; however, there are some items that I disliked about my stay. Please see below:
Liked:
-Upgraded my room to business class
-Free Internet
-Free Parking
-Nice Meeting Rooms onsite
--I asked house keeping to change the bed linens because they smelled musty. I noticed a red dot on the bottom of my duvet before I called for service. Late that night when I returned to my room, they left me a note stating that they changed the linens; however, I noticed that the red dot was still on the duvet - meaning they did not change all the linens. I called and reported this and the housekeeping manager appoligized and gave me a voucher for a free dinner- nice.

Disliked:
-When I got to my hotel room there was not an internet signal in my room and after several attempts and phone calls to the front desk, they finally agreed to move me; however, they said "go down the hall with your phone and let me know when you get a signal and I will see if we have a room in that area". I found a signal and called the front desk back and got a new room. They did not offer to bring up the key, send a bell hop to move my luggage, etc.- Had to do it all myself. Not even a sorry when I went down to the desk to get a new key.
-Hotel was hosting a teen sporting team on my floor (business class?) and the noise was a bit much. I called the front desk and they stated that they would send someone up to the room across the hall from mine to say something about the noise. I am not just talking about light noise- I mean radio turned up with the door wide open with a strobe light in the room. I was watching out of the privacy viewer in my door when the "security guard" came up to the room across the way and knocked on the open door and stated "sorry folks you have to turn it down- the guest across the call complained about the noise". I was done - no sense of ownership!

I have an office in the area and stay at this hotel 2 to 3 times per year. Sadly to say, over the years, the service has fallen off and is subpar. With a new Hampton Inn down the street, I am considering relocating my clients to another hotel with better service.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank David P
Fort Lee, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

On December 5, 2010 gmarjohn, Coxsackle, NY wrote "Room & Restaurant exceeded expectations, but front desk staff not so much." On January 18, 2011, mwilli5, Albany, NY wrote "Fire some of the staff and you will have five star" and went on to pinpoint
"...this hotel was much better, with the exception of the front desk, I found some of the staff were pretty rude."
My February 13 experience exponentially echoed these guests’ experience: The young gentlemen working at the front desk defied belief: Because I told him that we planned to use the pool he refused to register me, insisting that he was following Kathryn Arcuri, the front desk manager, instructions. Ms. Arcuri was not on the premises.

It was only after I asked to speak with a manager and Mr. Torraco, Director of Food
and Beverages was called that I was able to register.

When two weeks later I returned to the Radisson I was surprised to learned that Ms.
Arcuri had banned me from staying at the hotel. The conciliatory letter I wrote to
Ms. Arcuri on February 27 with what I thought were helpful suggestions -- During our February 26 telephone conversation Ms. Arcuri had described the young gentlemen at the front desk as “mildly autistic” while also saying that he had been chosen “Employee of the Month” last December -- was “filed” away and Ms. Arcuri stated that she had talked to members of her staff individually and they were all in agreement that on February 13 I was rude to the young gentleman. Ms. Arcuri insisted in banning me from
staying at the Radisson Utica Centre.

My interactions with the young gentleman at the front desk (whom I initially mistook
for a first-class hotel concierge, famous for being extremely courteous and aiming to accommodate their guests’ wishes one hundred percent) were brief:

1). When the young gentleman told me that only one week ago his manager had sent
a memo to the front desk staff with instructions not to rent a room to anyone who
intended to use the pool, I asked to see the memo. The young gentleman then said
that his manager had not sent a memo, but had given verbal instructions to the staff.
I asked the young gentleman whether he quizzed prospective guests and refused to
rent them a room if they answered that they were going to use the pool. He did not
answer. I then requested to speak withwith a manager. Mr. Torraco, Director of Food
and Beverage, after a brief conversation with me and the front desk staff told the young gentleman that he had done well, then instructed the front desk staff to rent me a room and told me that as a hotel guest I was free to use all hotel amenities, including the indoor swimming pool.
2). I then requested an early check-in. The young gentleman at the front desk flatly refused ?! Again Mr. Torraco was summoned. I asked Mr. Torraco if he would extend me the courtesy of an early check-in as we had 11:30 am reservations for Sunday brunch and expected to be finished by 12:30 or 1:00 pm. He graciously agreed.

A few days later I received two surveys via email from Thorsten Kirschke, Vice President
and CEO of Carlson Hotels, Americas, requesting feedback on my February 13, 2011
stay at the Radisson Utica Centre but I decided to write a letter instead commending
Mr. Torraco’s handling of a difficult situation and objecting to Kathryn Arcuri’s banning
me from staying at the Radisson Utica Centre.

Yet I believe that were it not because a couple of days after mailing the letter I
accidentally stumbled upon this website and learned that other guests had recently had
very similar experiences with the Radisson Utica Centre front desk staff, the outcome of
my complaint might conceivably have been different.

As it happened I was able to send a second letter to Mr. Kirschke with the Jan. 18, 2011 and The Dec. 5, 2010 Traveler reviews, which my experience had echoed exponentially.
Mr. Kirschke forwarded my letters to Mark Cherry, General Manager of the Radisson Centre. and a short time later I received a phone call from Mr. Cherry. During our conversation Mr. Cherry reassured me that I was a welcomed guest at the Radisson Utica Centre. I now have a confirmed reservation for a courtesy overnight stay at the Radisson Utica Centre in April.

I look forward to many pleasant stays at the Radisson Utica Centre.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Bronxville, New York, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

Nice hotel. About what you should expect in an off the main drag city like Utica. Utilitarian. Staff was helpful and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Dear Sport10010,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I especially appreciate the positive comments and the fact that you will recommend our hotel to your friends. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future

Sincerely