“Don't stay at this hotel out of choice!”

Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Utica
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Don't stay at this hotel out of choice!”
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

I had to stay at this hotel because my meeting was here and it was booked through others. But this is such an outdated hotel. There is radiators in your rooms that will bang all night to heat your room. The room I had was so large, unnecessarily so, considering that the bathroom is ridiculously small that the door just misses the toilet. And my floor had toilet paper bits on it that I didn't notice until later. And then when I flushed the toilet I knew why. The toilet kept backing up. Fortunately it was a quick stay and I am now about to check out. But it seems that unless the room wasn't cleaned they would have known. There is also old beds with some control for firmness of mattress that didn't make it comfortable. But the only good thing I can say is the staff were pleasant and kind.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Martha G
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the problems you encountered while staying at our hotel. We take your comments very seriously and will use them for training and improve our standards and address areas that need attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Lockport
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed here for a few nights in connection with a college program that required me to be in Utica for a few days. The college offered a special rate, so I'm guessing this was probably the best deal for decent lodging in the area.

I was initially OK with the $7 parking fee being tacked onto my hotel bill, seeing as how it was covered parking, with the going rate posted at $12/day (cash -- no credit cards). However, after noticing each morning that the parking lot exit was unattended, it didn't seem like such a great deal. I believe the parking fee is primarily aimed at downtown workers who need to park in the garage during the normal 8-5 workday hours.

My room was fairly comfortable, with the exception of the heating/cooling system. I had no problem adjusting the room temperature, but the fan was rather loud, and there was no way to completely turn it off. I ultimately decided to set the fan to low, so that it would run all the time, instead of the "auto" setting, which disturbed my sleep as the fan noisily turned on/off throughout the night.

I had 2 minor issues regarding cleanliness of the room: When I first arrived, I noticed a leftover cardboard Bud Light box sitting under one of the chairs that was apparently overlooked by housekeeping. I also noticed that one of the drinking glasses that was replaced in the bathroom on my second day there had some stuck-on stuff on the outside.

I was happy with the selection of TV programming in my room. So often at moderately priced hotels the selection of TV stations is extremely limited, but this was not the case at the Radisson.

I did use the pool during my stay, and it was fine. The pool temp was nice and warm, with depth ranging from 3-5 feet. There is also a hot tub and a fitness room, neither of which I tried.

I did not eat at the restaurant or drink at the bar at this location, so I cannot comment on those. There is a very good restaurant/pub about 2 blocks down the street (Swifty's) that has a great selection of beers. I also enjoyed happy hour at Griffin's (Irish) bar, only about half a block away.

All in all, I would certainly consider staying here again if I need to visit downtown Utica, but based on my experience (as well as listening to the experiences of my colleagues at the college), it seems to be hit and miss in terms of cleanliness and quiet.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I certainly appreciate your honest and fair response regarding your recent stay. I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper and we are going to continue to make room inspections our number one priority.

I am happy to see you that you enjoy some of the local eateries within walking distance of the hotel.

Again thank you for taking time out of your school schedule to reach out to us.

Enjoy your day,

David Cocomazzi, General manager
Westerly, Rhode Island
Reviewed 31 December 2012

One night stop for my wife and I. Being a Radison, I thought we were safe. The lobby was elegant as are most Radisson hotels I have stayed in. I did not read the fine print in my reservation and was annoyed at the $7 dollar parking fee. There is no where to park except in the city gagage next door. The desk clerk said he would be happy to add it to my bill. Why wouldn't he? The room was small. They only had sleep number beds. Not my prefered choice. I finally arrived at my sleep number of 35. Whoopee! The bathroom was one of the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. Not clean either. The outside of the toilet had some kind of crud on it. I did not see it until my wife pointed it out the next moring. She also found dust and dirt around the beds. All was not bad. The flat screen TV had excellent programing and there was a refrigerator. We ate in the hotel resturant and found it reasonable and good. For the money I paid for this room, I could have done much better elswhere. I did not mention any of this to the staff as I was not planning on ever staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freddy_t000
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
We understand how important a comfortable bed and room are during your travels. We apologize we did not meet your expectations. We have shared your comments with management to make them aware.

Travellers are raving about these Utica hotels

Rochester, NY
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel with our daughter, son-in-law, and their two children ages 4 and 5. We stayed at this hotel to go on the Polar Express. The hotel itself is nice. There were no problems with the rooms. The hotel staff was able to give us rooms next to each other. The room size was average. The hotel is very close to the train station. I am not sure the city is safe enough to walk to the train station. You can hear music in the room from a nightclub nearby. You might want to request a room that is not street side. The service at the restaurant was slow. Give yourself plenty of time. The prices seemed a little high and the quality of the food was average, not great. The fitness center was large and very nice. There was a nice variety of exercise equipment.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear lynne R,

Thank you for taking the time to respond about your recent stay here at the Radisson in Utica. We truly value our customer's responses.

We are working very hard to elevate the level of food and staff to match the great successes we have with our weddings. In fact we have a new Food and Beverage manager on the team who is focused to the challenge.

The fitnes center has been renovated and we are getting very positive feedback.

Again thank you for your time ,

David Cocomazzi, generral manager
Upstate NY
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding in the area and a block of rooms had been reserved. Our price was very reasonable for a king room to begin with, but we were also lucky to get bumped up to a larger room with a sitting area for the same price. (I'm not really sure what the normal rates are like.) Our bed was great, and I loved the little overhead reading lights on the headboard. Room and bathroom were clean and spacious. Breakfast buffet was pretty decent although I think it was a bit overpriced. I agree with another reviewer that the parking situation is a little weird; I'm not sure what my parking fee was for if there is no parking attendant on the weekends anyway. We did not use the pool or fitness room, although a friend indicated that the fitness room was not too great.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Krisitn L,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a response about our hotel. On behalf of the team we truly appreciate it. I wanted to apologize for the confusion regarding city owned parking garage.

We are pleased to let you know our Fitness Center renovation will be completed by the end of the week.

Again thank you and enjoy your day.
maine
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This was our third weekend stay at the Utica Radisson when visiting our daughter at Hamilton College. The hotel is basic but clean, reasonably updated, with comfortable beds and adequate service. Choices are very limited in this area, and we had considered the Radisson an acceptable choice. It is not, however, a very good value. The prices are higher than they should be for a hotel of this quality in a place like Utica. It turned out that our room had no exterior window and virtually no natural light. I would never have accepted this room, but we were not aware of this until we opened the curtains the first morning and saw people eating breakfast below us. Given that the weekend was half over and the hotel was sold out, we did not ask to be moved. Because but paid retail and booked directly through the hotel almost a year in advance, it's hard not to feel taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms without exterior windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I truly apologize for recent stay. I understand how frustrating it is when you have an expectation of a type of room and then when you check in it is not what you anticipated.

Please understand we would like to the opportunity to make it right. I am more than willing to personally make your accommodations for you on your next trip to the area.
Peru, NY
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I have mixed feelings about my 10/29/12 stay at the Radisson. Upon arriving at the hotel, one had to walk through a haze of smoke from a group of smokers. The front desk fella was friendly, in a distant manner. The room was fine. One sleep number bed did not work. Upon telling the front desk about it the next morning (the same fella that was there the night before...how long are their shifts anyway?), he asked if we had reported it (no), and then okay, we were all set. Really no concern at all that a person in our party had to sleep on a very soft, not inflated at all, bed. Maybe we should have reported it, but the little one was sleeping by the time we discovered it and we did not want him woken up. One pays for parking in the garage on a Saturday night, but then upon leaving finds that the gates are up and parking must be free on Sunday, so why does one have to pay on Saturday night?
We swam in the pool after dark on Saturday night and the lighting is almost non-existent in the pool area.
AND, no continental breakfast on weekends was the icing on the cake.
I will not frequent this hotel again and I am a frequent visitor to Utica and enjoy the downtown scene.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Margaret R,

I appreciate you reaching out to us regarding your recent stay here in Utica. It lets us know where we need to focus our coaching efforts.

As the team leader of the hotel I apologize for the response you recieved from the front desk. Also I spoke to the Municipal parking authority about not having an attendant on the weekends and how it affects our guests.

We are in the final phase of planning the renovation to our pool area. If you like you can contact me directly and I will give you updates on the renovations.