“Best place to stay in Utica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre

Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Utica
New York, NY
“Best place to stay in Utica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Radisson in Utica is centrally located, clean, safe, and reasonably priced. Nice restaurant, lovely pool, pleasant and helpful staff. I am in Utica frequently for personal reasons, and this is my go-to hotel because of its convenience and comfort. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel before a court hearing at the federal courthouse in Utica. I cannot remember the last time I stayed at a hotel this bad. I checked in fine, went up to my room. Outside the door to my room was a tray from someone's room service. Given where my room was located and the tray was placed, it could have been from the room next door. It was 4:45pm. The likelihood was that the tray had been there for some time. If it was put there by the previous inhabitants of my room, it was there before the maids came and made up the room. I figured someone would be by to pick it up. I settled in to do some prep work before dinner. I went to dinner at 7:30pm (The Tailor and the Cook was actually quite good for a small town in upstate new york). The tray was still there. When I returned from dinner - around 9:30-9:45 pm, the tray was still there. Closer to the elevator were two new used/spent trays outside of rooms. That means that room service personnel came up to the floor and ignored the tray that had been outside my room for at least 3-5 hours and probably much much longer. In the morning, I left at around 9am. ALL THREE TRAYS WERE STILL SITTING IN THE HALLWAY UNCLEARED.

That was not the only problem. The sleep number beds don't work. So the bed is terribly uncomfortable. There is no changing the sleep number (not that sllep number beds are ever good anyway, but a non-functioning sleep number bed is atrocious).

The rooms were also filthy and dated. The windows are ringed with grime. Thick layers of dirt showing that they have not been properly cleaned in YEARS. The bathrooms are dated. The shower didn't drain. The valve for the shower was a plastic knob that probably hasn't been produced since 1985.

One criticism of this review could be that I did not say something. But if any one of these conditions are present in any room in a hotel, does the hotel not deserve a poor rating whether you say something or not? When they all exist, it's "terrible." Many of these problems are structural. The service trash and failure to clean rooms are unacceptable and no one should have to complain about them to have them remedied.

Stay away from this hotel. There are other options. I can't imagine they could be worse.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Patrick M
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Dwayne Spitzer, General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Utica hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice with a great downtown location. But we had to call for maid service two out of three nights. Sleep number beds are great. But the control for one of our beds wasn't working. The pool was closed for repair and we weren't notified ahead of time. Big disappointment for the kids! The bar is good with much better than expected food quality. Rates are reasonable. But don't expect perfection!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pam W
Manchestder, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stay at this hotel regularly (5-9 times per year because we have family in Utica. The staff could teach Disney or Nordstoms a few tips! Excellent customer service, everytime! The Building is in great need of decor update but have been working on it for the last year. The new rooms are modern and comfortable. I would recommend that if you travel to Utica this should be the only place in town to stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Buffalo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Odd hotel in the middle of a downtown that looks as if it had been chewed up and spit out like most upstate cities. Knew I was going to be breaking my trip back from Massachusetts into two parts due to drowsiness, just was having a hard time finding a place in Eastern and Central NY probably because of racing season at Saratoga and the Baseball hall of fame inductions. Booked this on Priceline as an "Express Deal" and pulled into the registration parking slot in the midst of a completely deserted street around 10 at night. Walked to the desk and the young lady, I think her name was Lauren, was extremely quick, efficient and friendly. She gave me the lowdown on parking in the adjacent city owned lot (7 bucks, very reasonable) and the wifi password for internet access I wouldn't be needing. I asked her what time the lounge closed and she said 11pm and I figured great, I had time for a couple beers after a long drowsy drive before I hit the hay. So I went to my room, threw my stuff on the bed and headed to the lounge only to have the barmaid curtly tell me "sorry we close at ten." When I told her the woman at the desk told me 11 she said it was ten on Sundays. And that was it. No recommendation on where to get a drink within walking distance. Fortunately this is the age of the smart phone and I was able to find a cool little bar district on Varick street which was a short drive but the fact is I didn't want to drive. Anyways got back to the hotel around 1130 only to discover I had left the key card in the room so I went back to the desk expecting to see the same perky friendly blonde clerk but instead came across a guy with glasses who was obviously annoyed about something and looked like he just woke up. I told him the situation and he programmed another card and said "that is three twenty six" and the manner in which he put it made it sounded like he was gonna charge me that amount. When I responded somewhat incredulously "you are gonna charge me for a duplicate card?" his next response left me off balance "did I say I was gonna charge you? That's the room number." After that exchange I wanted to change the topic and I asked him what time breakfast was and he warily responded 630 to 930. So I head to my room down a brightly lit hallway with many splotches on the garishly designed carpet to get ready for bed. I feel like a snack from the vending machine so I head down the hall with bills in hand and it won't take any of them. Three separate trips back and forth and I finally found a bill the machine would accept. Later on I climb into bed and notice this is one of those places with a sleep number bed. My sleep number is 70, something I didn't think I would ever know. Had an ok sleep in spite of a difficult time adjusting the climate control which remained on freeze most of the night.Woke up the next morning disappointed to find out there was only one regular coffee pack and two decafs. Got into the shower to discover no shampoo. Was really getting ready to despise this place place but the most excellent breakfast buffet the next morning made me reserve judgement. All in all ok I guess but I'm sure one can find better accommodations elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tsar811
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Nicely equipped rooms. Clean. Avoid eating at this facility. Check in was very pleasant and efficient experience. Location is very good. Easy to get around town and to the major highways in the area. Convenient location near many restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank williame43
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My daughter and I rented a room at the Radisson Hotel to go to the Great American Irish Festival on July 25th and left July 26th. The parking garage we had to park in was not very big. When you park and go into the hotel, they give you a parking voucher to show the attendant when you leave (to pay the ticket you get when you go into the parking garage). They charge $7.00 a day for the parking. You have unlimited access to the garage when you park there for the time that you stay there. Also, there's suppose to be complimentary internet access. I went to go online on my laptop, I wasn't able to go online, even though I had the info to use their internet access. After about 10-15 min., I stopped trying to get online in my hotel room. The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. Also, there isn't any complimentary breakfast on the weekends. The prices are pricey. One of items-a continental breakfast, consisted of coffee, orange juice and a pastry for $9.00. We ended up going somewhere else for breakfast. I know a couple of other people who have gone there and none of them were exactly thrilled with the hotel. Also, when we got our bill, it was bad enough to pay $7.00 for the parking, but there was a .61 cent tax on the parking on our bill. I would never go there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hampton Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
#4 of 13 in Utica
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford

Been to Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre? Share your experiences!