“Excellent Pastry and Friendly Staff”
Review of Cafe Caruso

Cafe Caruso
Ranked #2 of 4 Dessert in Utica
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Did not care for my is it to Utica but Cafe Caruso was the one good thing about the visit. I stayed at the nearby by Hotel Utica and went out for a run in the morning and ran by here and thought it would be worth a visit on the way out of town. First off, it is not in a great area but as soon as you walk in you can see the regulars all visiting there, family photos up on the wall and the lady who greeted me was friendly and patient as she answered my questions about the different pastries. I selected two different pastries a lemon tart and ......sorry, I can't remember the name of the second one. They were wonderful treats that we enjoyed on our journey. If you must go to Utica, this place is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

If one ever has reason to be in Utica, New York a visit to the Caffe' Caruso is more than worth the time.

This is a real Italian bakery, doing business out of the same storefront for nearly sixty years. The coffee and pastries are wonderful, with the many varieties of biscotti our personal favorite. Carm Caruso carries on her late father's commitment to authentic, quality Italian baking. Mike Paniccia is a master of creating and decorating cakes as near works of art.

And... these are wonderful people.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Had a mini ricotta cheesecake baked in a crispy pastry crust, drizzled with chocolate and topped with toasted almond slivers. Divine! And the sfogliatelle is a work of art and so yummy. Cappuccino and pastries are a Sunday ritual for me and my husband and we've tried other places but this is the one to beat! Great atmosphere. We feel like family when we are there and we're not even Italians! And by the way, the name has changed to Caruso's Pastry Shoppe! Attention, tripadvisor!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had Caruso's make our wedding cake and although we were having a destination wedding in Old Forge NY (from Memphis TN) Carmella, who took the order-and Michael who designed the cake where spectacular to work with. I sent them a "partial" cake topper and they worked their magic. The cake looked spectacular and the taste was incredible. Many in attendance, including the folks who ran the restaurant were asking where it came from. They were so professional to deal with and they really did all they could to ensure it was successful (including delivery and assembly to the resort an hour away).

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I've been going to Caruso's ever since I was a kid and their pastries are amazing! The Cannolis are the best thing you'll ever eat in Utica and the rum cake is the awesome! Skip Florentines and check out this family owned and operated Café, you won't regret it!

Been to Cafe Caruso? Share your experiences!