“Staff is mean and customer service doesnt exist”
Review of Vernon Downs Hotel

Vernon Downs Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Vernon
Utica , NY
“Staff is mean and customer service doesnt exist”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

First its like a tooth pull trying to get someone to answer the phone and you always seem to be bothering the desk person. The rooms rugs and carpets in hallway are 20 years old. No attempt at accomodating minor requests. The casino is a money pit and their computers go down all the time without paying customers or honoring their coupons. Go to the horse track if you must hit this property up.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KayDubya66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Springville, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have stayed here about 5 yrs in a row now and may not be returning. The prices keep going up during the antique shows in Madison. The weekend especially is too high. The rooms are ok, and I agree with others that they could be cleaner. Our bathroom counter was dirty.
Their breakfasts have not improved over the years. For the price of these rooms, breakfast should include better choices: waffles, scrambled eggs, better bagels, fruit, etc. and 2 toasters. {this place has to have slowest toasters] The pastries cone out of the fridge and are cold. worst breakfast around, and they do not offer it on weekends. Coffee is weak and awful.
I stay here only because few choices in the area.
Staff is pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel. I'm pleased that you have continued to stay with us over the years and I apologize the room fell short of your expectations. We have made many improvements as our rates are very competative to other hotels in the area. Your comments regarding the breakfast is not typical and I will review this with our food and beverage department. We have since changed our coffee both in room and in the restaurant which you would be pleased with. Once again I would like to say thank you for your feedback as we strive to meet all of our guests expectations every time they visit us.
fishkill, ny
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My stay at the hotel was pleasant. The room was clean, comfortable, and well-ventilated. I had a very comfortable king-sized bed and slept like a baby. My room overlooked the racetrack and it was wonderful to watch the horseman work out their horses in the morning. Mr. G's restaraunt was also very good and I was surprised to find that the prices were reasonable. You could eat trackside or in the air-conditioned dining room. From your room, you are a short walk to the casino where the slots are fairly "loose" meaning that you actually can win sometimes.Some nights there is live entertainment and there was a great "early bird" deal at the buffet. But go early because lines form. The racetrack is a short walk or shuttle ride away and it is a good bet. It is a family place to go and on Thursdays, it's dollar day for hot dogs, popcorn, and beer.

Room Tip: Get a room on the racetrack side. Also, there is a gym and a pool so bring your gear. There is a d...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bravefilius
Dear Guest,
I would like to express my appreciation for your response regarding your visit with us. I'm extremely pleased that our hotel and restaraunt met your expectations providing a wonderful experience. All of the departments work hard toward providing outstanding service for our guests and I'm pleased you had a wonderful time. We do offer many exciting as well as relaxing things to do while visiting our property and we are looking forward to your next visit with us.
Trumansburg
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I played slots here once, then they sent me a coupon which we booked for 6/28/12, a Friday night. The hotel has a nice walkway to the gaming floor, which is slots only. However, they also have a nice bar area and had some live music. The hotel room was nice and clean. A nice feature was a small sink outside the bathroom with a coffee maker and the fixings.

We got up the next morning and the restaurant (Champions) for breakfast was running 1/2 hour behind for their opening (not a great breakfast there, by the way, okay but not great). So, we went to our room, made coffee, then sat outside watching the horses exercise--this was a fabulous area to sit and become very peaceful, before the hubabaloo with all the races later in the day. It was cool on the patio area and we enjoyed sitting there sipping our coffee and watching.

Would we stay here again, even if we had to pay? Yup. I'd pay $95 for this room.

Room Tip: I'd personally like a room on the horse track side next time, just to see the difference. We ha...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grammygail
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your visit. I was very pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your stay relaxing watching the horses work out and entertainment at Ring Eyed Pete's. I have also shared your feedback with my hotel staff regarding the rooms meeting your expecations being comfortable and clean. I would like to apologize for the delay with breakfast at Champions which has been reviewed and is not the standard for us. Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I'm looking forward to your next visit with us.
Seattle
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

It was difficult to come up with a fair rating for the hotel at Vernon Downs. Their beds were comfortable. Despite thproprty being full and our room being right next to th elevator it was actually very quiet and I slept well. The cleanliness (or lack of) was what made me rate this at only two of five.
I notified the front desk after the first night that thee bathroom was not thoroughly cleaned. Dust and hair were on the baseboards and notable when the bathroom door was closed (I assume housekeeping cleaned the room with the door opened and never thought to look behind it). The floor was clearly unclean and the wall next to the commode and the shower had obviously not been thoroughly cleaned. Given that I mentioned the problem before we left for the day - giving them ample opportunity to clean it while we wer're out for the day - I'd say this was a FAIL.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Fulton, New York
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Our group had 3 rooms just for the night everything was fine from check in to check out.
Nothing fancy but clean and the workers were very nice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MimiLS
Binghamton, New York, United States
Reviewed 25 December 2011

My wife and I went there on Christmas Eve with the intentions of staying till December 27, 2011. We booked the room a few days in advance and spoke to a girl by the name of "Tammy." Which if you do book a room there, which I don't recommend, do it through Tammy, because she is very pleasant to talk to and really is the only one there that knows what she is doing. When the room was booked, we told Tammy that we would be paying cash for all 3 nights but would not be doing so till about 11:30 pm that night of arrival due to we had other people that was arriving late and was splitting the bill. She said no problem. So we gave her our debit card number to hold the room even though when we got there we were going to pay cash. When we got there, it was not Tammy behind the desk, for which I will not mention who she was, but hope you never get her, cause she is the one that caused the problem with our bill. She told me that she needed our card that the room was booked under to put a "HOLD" on it but nothing would come off the card. WRONG!!!! She charged our card $295.70 when after our coupons should have only been $151.72 for all 3 nights. This "HOLD" was not suppose to take any money from our account but because it did, caused us to have an overdraft charge on our checking account that has never had an overdraft, ever! They told me that it will take 5 days for the "Extra" charges to be credited back to our account and they would not pay the overdraft fees of $70.00 when it was their fault. When we approched the supervisor the next morning, he was absolutly worthless. We talked to him at 7:00 am and he said he was going to call the general manager and get back with us. Come 11:30 am, we still did not here from him, so we called him. He said that the general manager would not do anything about the situation. We wanted to speak to him, who he was not there, and the supervisor in charge would not disturb him on Christmas anymore. But you know what, it was our Christmas that was being ruined.
We stayed on the second floor, and all we heard all night was doors slamming. When we first checked into the room, we had to call maintenance cause the toilet was leaking. They sent housekeeping up to mop it up. Then there was hair all over the floor and on the hair dryer. The piece of floor molding between the bathroom and hall was cracked in several places which had very sharp edges and you could possibly be cut if you hit your foot on it.
When we went to the continental breakfast, which was not bad, the girl does a really good job with that, there was other customers up there telling us of their experience they were having. One lady was being moved from the fourth floor to the third floor, cause her room had BED BUGS. We were talking to this women when the manager brought them the new room key. So we know what she was telling us was true. We got on the elevator to go to breakfast and there were other people complaining that they had no hot water and they had to switch rooms, cause due to the holiday, they had no one there to fix it. Now mind you, the hotel was far from being booked to capacity. They only had 16 rooms booked. We were so upset, we checked out the Christmas Day when we planned on staying till Tuesday.
I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYBODY!! VERY, VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NOT CLEAN UNLESS YOU LIKE BED BUGS AND HAIR FROM THE PREVIOUS PERSON IN THE ROOM ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Signed,
A very unhappy couple who had their holiday ruined by people who really did not care!!

Room Tip: In my opinion, there are no good rooms!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Gary-Denise L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Super 8 Oneida Verona

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!