“OK short stay hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Cassville, New York
“OK short stay hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

A few family and friends went to the hotel for my birthday. The check in took longer than it should have but there were only 2 desk persons and a lot of check in activity going on. We all stayed in rooms with either two double beds or one king size, the rooms were nothing special, just pretty standard hotel rooms. At least there was a mini fridge and a microwave in each room which I think is a real plus. We all ate at the Friday night buffet, which for $13.00 a head was well worth it. All the steak and clams (mahogany's) you could eat and plenty more. We went to the bar at the casino after dinner to listen to the band. The dance floor could stand to be a little bigger. I found the bartenders to be pretty friendly and the service was good. After the band quit we went back to the room and I have to admit, the bed was fantastically comfortable. I slept great on it. I usually wake up with back pain but not in that bed. My brother and his wife said their bed was great too. Overall, this is a pretty nice place for an overnight get away or maybe even two. It isn't a Vegas casino, and you won't see the beautiful people gambling like the movies show, but what do you expect from a small town in upstate NY? I'd go again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments which allow us to always look at ways to continue to improve. Yes we don’t consider ourselves a large casino but we are very proud of our property and the high level of customer service. I apologize for any delay during the check in process as we do work hard trying to reduce the wait time getting guests checked in. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time and if you visit us during our racing season we have much more to offer. Once again I would like to thank you and looking forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Tully, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel staff was accommodating. Rooms were typical for price. Breakfast had many choices.
Lobby was warm and inviting with a fireplace. Pool was ok but no where to change or leave cloths.
Lots of chorine but we were the only ones in the pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us. We do work very hard toward exceeding our guest’s expectations so they have an outstanding visit. We do have large bathrooms near the pool entrance but it seems most prefer to change in the room prior to going down to the pool. This is something we will consider as we continue to expand. Once again thank you for your comments.
Wellsville, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at the Vernon Downs Hotel for our 1 year anniversary. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite, expecting it to be much more than it was! We had called ahead to ask about the size of the Jacuzzi and were assured that it was plenty big enough for 2 people. We both barely fit in it and it took over a half hour for the water to even get slightly warm. We actually had to let it run for an hour to get hot water and it was 7pm. In the morning the shower was the same, and no pressure at all. The shower just barely trickled. The bed was comfortable but the cable tv was so fuzzy we didn't even watch it. I had always thought hotels offered more when you pay the extra money for the honeymoon suite but not this hotel. Our room was just basic and I have seen better accomodations at a much cheaper hotel. Not very many places to choose from to eat there since some of the places are only open a few days a week. Needless to say, we wont be staying there again!

Room Tip: Don't have any tips except to not pay the extra money for honeymoon suite since they are any be...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We do work very hard to avoid any issues that impact our guest’s during their stay. Once again I do apologize and thank you for your comments as this helps us improve on any shortfalls.

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Skaneateles, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at Vernon Downs Hotel In early October. Check in was smooth considering there was some sort of gathering and there were a lot of people in the lobby.We had the VIP suite which was clean and quiet. We went to the casino until 10pm then returned and. ordered a room pizza.
"excellent" Had a restfull night. We are already planning our next visit. Thank you Vernon Downs!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding you recent stay with us. I’m very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room and the service standards met your expectations. The hotel team works very hard to make everyone’s visit pleasant and enjoyable.
Oneida, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Always do a great job at vernon downs. My wife and I have stayed their numerous times and they are consistently very good. The only thing I would say we have ever had a problem with is the water pressure and shower size. Curved shower rods and new high pressure shower heads would fix the only only flaw we have seen. The breakfast is good not great but enough options for everyone. Keep up the good work

Room Tip: Trackside view is always nice
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding you visit with us. We try to stay consistent with our service standards and I do apologize about the problem with the water pressure as we have been changing out the shower heads to improve on that. Once again thank you for your comments as this is how we continue to improve on any shortfalls during a guest’s visit.
WALTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is the Hotel that is attached to the casino and race track at Vernon Downs. Being a mature couple we appreciate the friendly atmosphere. Have a beautiful indoor pool, hot tub, exercise room, free wifi in room, Loads of tv channel etc...The rooms are quite spacious. We have stayed in one with a Kingsize and also others with 2 Double beds. We have never been disappointed in the look and how clean the rooms are. The ladies that take care of them are excellent and very attentive. The staff is very friendly and the buffet is EXCELLENT! as are the other eating places there. There is also a basic continental breakfast and even outdoor terraces to eat and drink on. Prices in restaurants and buffet are very very reasonable Nice to have other activities besides casino,

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding you visit with us. I’m extremely pleased when we meet or exceed our guest’s expectations. The hotel team works very hard always trying to make everyone’s visit the best experience ever and once again thank you so much for your comments. I’m looking forward to your next visit with us.
Endicott, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at Vernon Downs Hotel on 9/1/13. I was very disappointed in it. It was my anniversary so I was hoping for a wonderful stay. We waited in a very long line to check in at 3:00. We stayed in the Jr Jacuzzi Suite. Our 1st impression was that it was very outdated. The carpet was old and stained & the walls were scuffed up in many places. The Jacuzzi tub was not big enough for 2 people which was disappointing and the shower was also very small. The wall behind the toilet was gross. There were pretzels pieces left on the floor at the edge of the bed from previous guests and even though it was a nonsmoking hotel the room smelled of cigarette smoke & a musty smell. The breakfast did not offer many items and there was not enough seating for all the guests. The coffee was horrible. I was so looking forward to this trip, but left disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tony9Rose1
Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize for any delay you experienced during check-in as the front desk team works hard to keep wait time down. The room you booked did have a personal Jacuzzi but we do have two personal Jacuzzis available. I do again apologize for what you experienced as we do work hard to improve in all areas of service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!