“Great Improvement from my last visit”
Review of Vernon Downs Hotel

Vernon Downs Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Room was spotless and the pool was great. The Bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby. Breakfast buffet was surprisingly well equipped. All in all, THIS TIME we had a great stay. A HUGE improvement from our last visit and will bring me back to stay again when the weather is better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you from the entire staff for your feedback regarding your visit. We are very proud of our property and the service we provide and it is wonderful to know that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable visit. Once again thank you and we do look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is hotel built next to a harness track and casino upstate NY. It has become a tired looking place, a few years back they spent some money to try and attract events and weddings but they only spent the money on cosmetic stuff and construction of things that appear to get little use. I want my room t be nice I don't care about the lobby or unused deck.The rooms are the big issue. All the carpets, bedding and drapes look like they were designed for a motel 6 and were probably installed the day the place opened. The housekeeping staff try hard but you can't make dingy shine, even when cleaned well it looks dirty and tired. The bathroom has the most narrow tub you can imagine and then instead of putting in a curved shower curtain rod they have a straight one. As a result the gross rubber feeling shower curtain presses against you when you shower. It is slimy and gross. When we pointed this out along with a few other very small items that could make the place better the manager said there were no better options for shower curtains. Obviously he has never been to a real hotel. Recently we also noticed in an effort to save money the bath amenities consist of one tiny bottle of shampoo/conditioner combo and two dollar store bars of white soap, We have all of our own stuff so we don't care about this, its just the perception you get. With turning stone resort within 5 miles we now only stay here when we can't get a room there (and are desperate). We get our rooms free and even with that, we don't come that often. We have even stopped on the way at the dollar general and bought a cheap shower curtain to use once and toss, that's how much we are bothered by the shower. Even when you try and give actionable feedback, in a kind way, its always the manager knows best. Its too bad because we like all of the casino, hotel staff and even the cleaning staff who have the deck stacked against them. A few thousand well spent dollars could really upgrade the place. Someday and when it is done I will give them an updated review.

Room Tip: Don't even think about Jacuzzi rooms you would not use it. If you really need to stay here start...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I do apologize that your visit with us fell short of your expectations. We are extremely pleased with our new event center which has provided wonderful memories for our guests attending weddings, concerts and shows. The housekeeping staff does a wonderful job keeping the rooms clean for our guests. If you get the opportunity please join our party on the terrace during the summer on Wednesday evenings to experience good food and entertainment with a view. We are continuing to improve our property and always working hard to provide a wonderful experience for all our guests.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

A few family and friends went to the hotel for my birthday. The check in took longer than it should have but there were only 2 desk persons and a lot of check in activity going on. We all stayed in rooms with either two double beds or one king size, the rooms were nothing special, just pretty standard hotel rooms. At least there was a mini fridge and a microwave in each room which I think is a real plus. We all ate at the Friday night buffet, which for $13.00 a head was well worth it. All the steak and clams (mahogany's) you could eat and plenty more. We went to the bar at the casino after dinner to listen to the band. The dance floor could stand to be a little bigger. I found the bartenders to be pretty friendly and the service was good. After the band quit we went back to the room and I have to admit, the bed was fantastically comfortable. I slept great on it. I usually wake up with back pain but not in that bed. My brother and his wife said their bed was great too. Overall, this is a pretty nice place for an overnight get away or maybe even two. It isn't a Vegas casino, and you won't see the beautiful people gambling like the movies show, but what do you expect from a small town in upstate NY? I'd go again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments which allow us to always look at ways to continue to improve. Yes we don’t consider ourselves a large casino but we are very proud of our property and the high level of customer service. I apologize for any delay during the check in process as we do work hard trying to reduce the wait time getting guests checked in. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time and if you visit us during our racing season we have much more to offer. Once again I would like to thank you and looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel staff was accommodating. Rooms were typical for price. Breakfast had many choices.
Lobby was warm and inviting with a fireplace. Pool was ok but no where to change or leave cloths.
Lots of chorine but we were the only ones in the pool.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us. We do work very hard toward exceeding our guest’s expectations so they have an outstanding visit. We do have large bathrooms near the pool entrance but it seems most prefer to change in the room prior to going down to the pool. This is something we will consider as we continue to expand. Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at the Vernon Downs Hotel for our 1 year anniversary. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite, expecting it to be much more than it was! We had called ahead to ask about the size of the Jacuzzi and were assured that it was plenty big enough for 2 people. We both barely fit in it and it took over a half hour for the water to even get slightly warm. We actually had to let it run for an hour to get hot water and it was 7pm. In the morning the shower was the same, and no pressure at all. The shower just barely trickled. The bed was comfortable but the cable tv was so fuzzy we didn't even watch it. I had always thought hotels offered more when you pay the extra money for the honeymoon suite but not this hotel. Our room was just basic and I have seen better accomodations at a much cheaper hotel. Not very many places to choose from to eat there since some of the places are only open a few days a week. Needless to say, we wont be staying there again!

Room Tip: Don't have any tips except to not pay the extra money for honeymoon suite since they are any be...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We do work very hard to avoid any issues that impact our guest’s during their stay. Once again I do apologize and thank you for your comments as this helps us improve on any shortfalls.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at Vernon Downs Hotel In early October. Check in was smooth considering there was some sort of gathering and there were a lot of people in the lobby.We had the VIP suite which was clean and quiet. We went to the casino until 10pm then returned and. ordered a room pizza.
"excellent" Had a restfull night. We are already planning our next visit. Thank you Vernon Downs!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding you recent stay with us. I’m very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room and the service standards met your expectations. The hotel team works very hard to make everyone’s visit pleasant and enjoyable.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Always do a great job at vernon downs. My wife and I have stayed their numerous times and they are consistently very good. The only thing I would say we have ever had a problem with is the water pressure and shower size. Curved shower rods and new high pressure shower heads would fix the only only flaw we have seen. The breakfast is good not great but enough options for everyone. Keep up the good work

Room Tip: Trackside view is always nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding you visit with us. We try to stay consistent with our service standards and I do apologize about the problem with the water pressure as we have been changing out the shower heads to improve on that. Once again thank you for your comments as this is how we continue to improve on any shortfalls during a guest’s visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites Cazenovia
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!