“It's all about the bed!”
Review of Vernon Downs Hotel

Vernon Downs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Endicott, New York
“It's all about the bed!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Spent a Friday night at Vernon Downs for our anniversary and stayed the night in one of the suite rooms (331).

The room itself was very large and spacious. It consisted of a large, open bedroom area with a Jacuzzi tub in one corner and a king bed against the wall. The is a door off the bedroom that opens up into a living room area with couch, sink, fridge and flat screen t.v. There is also a small closet.

The room itself was pretty nice, and very very spacious for just the two of us. The room appeared clean on the surface but if you really looked at things you would notice that the bathroom floor was dirty around the toilet (which kept clogging) and there was some fuzz and other small items in the corners of the room on the floor.

The Jacuzzi was old but worked great and was very nice. Big enough for two!

But what really made this stay for me was the bed. And when you are staying at a hotel over night it's all about the bed. This bed was so amazingly comfortable that I actually pulled up the side of the sheet to see what brand it was. (It was a Simmons Beauty Rest Super Pillow Top). The bedding felt luxurious and the pillows were just how I like them. I probably got one of the best sleeps that I have gotten in such a long time. I woke up relaxed and rested so this hotel gets 4 stars from me.

The lobby of this hotel is beautiful, with a huge fireplace and nice sitting area. There is a nice place to eat connected to the hotel and we enjoyed a great meal sitting outside on the deck watching the horse races. There is also a connecting hallway to the casino. We did not hear any noise from either the casino or the races in our room.

Overall a great stay. Would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the race track. When you wake up in the morning you can open your bed...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy A
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback and I’m thrilled we met your expectations while visiting. We are very proud of our property and work very hard to provide all of our guests with outstanding guest service. Your correct about the beds being comfortable as we receive many compliments about them. Once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I just wish there was more to do in the area. But the hotel itself is gorgeous, and the second nicest room I've stayed. Bed was super comfortable... pillows are dreamy. My room had a coffee pot, microwave, and fridge. There was a half-eaten cookie in the night stand drawer, but the cleaning person wouldn't see it unless the drawer was pulled out completely. I only found it because I pulled the phone book out.

My only complaint, which requires me to dig deep, is I couldn't find a way to change the aspect ratio on the TV, so that some of the programs the images were a bit skewed. But really, who cares?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joel D
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I did let our housekeeping staff know how important it is to check all aspects of the room to avoid those types of issues. I do apologize for the problem with the television and when you stay with us again please remember there is always somebody at the front desk that will try to provide assistance with any problems during your stay. Once again thank you for your comments and I’m looking forward to you visiting us in the future.
fulton, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel and casino staff are very well trained in customer service ! Fast ,easy check in! Not a big casino, but a feeling of being safe is important ! There are several events going on every Friday,Saturday and Sunday that make it fun! The horse racing is a huge bonus! We look forward to every racing season at Vernon downs! The slots are not as tight as there competition. A few hundred dollars goes a long way when spending a weekend playing machines ! unlike neighboring casino that sucks your money up in minutes! Rooms clean and comfortable ! Have good bands on Friday and Saturday, would be nice of they added a few more nights for us seniors that go other nights! Great place to visit!

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms worth the extra money
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I really enjoy it when our staff provides quality service all around for our guests. We are very excited with our property and now with racing on Thursday and our party on the terrace on Wednesday starting this month we do provide more entertainment throughout the week. Once again thank you so much for your feedback and we will continue to work hard at making all our guests have an enjoyable stay.
West Yarmouth, MA
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Room was spotless and the pool was great. The Bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby. Breakfast buffet was surprisingly well equipped. All in all, THIS TIME we had a great stay. A HUGE improvement from our last visit and will bring me back to stay again when the weather is better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you from the entire staff for your feedback regarding your visit. We are very proud of our property and the service we provide and it is wonderful to know that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable visit. Once again thank you and we do look forward to you staying with us again.
Mechanicville N.y.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is hotel built next to a harness track and casino upstate NY. It has become a tired looking place, a few years back they spent some money to try and attract events and weddings but they only spent the money on cosmetic stuff and construction of things that appear to get little use. I want my room t be nice I don't care about the lobby or unused deck.The rooms are the big issue. All the carpets, bedding and drapes look like they were designed for a motel 6 and were probably installed the day the place opened. The housekeeping staff try hard but you can't make dingy shine, even when cleaned well it looks dirty and tired. The bathroom has the most narrow tub you can imagine and then instead of putting in a curved shower curtain rod they have a straight one. As a result the gross rubber feeling shower curtain presses against you when you shower. It is slimy and gross. When we pointed this out along with a few other very small items that could make the place better the manager said there were no better options for shower curtains. Obviously he has never been to a real hotel. Recently we also noticed in an effort to save money the bath amenities consist of one tiny bottle of shampoo/conditioner combo and two dollar store bars of white soap, We have all of our own stuff so we don't care about this, its just the perception you get. With turning stone resort within 5 miles we now only stay here when we can't get a room there (and are desperate). We get our rooms free and even with that, we don't come that often. We have even stopped on the way at the dollar general and bought a cheap shower curtain to use once and toss, that's how much we are bothered by the shower. Even when you try and give actionable feedback, in a kind way, its always the manager knows best. Its too bad because we like all of the casino, hotel staff and even the cleaning staff who have the deck stacked against them. A few thousand well spent dollars could really upgrade the place. Someday and when it is done I will give them an updated review.

Room Tip: Don't even think about Jacuzzi rooms you would not use it. If you really need to stay here start...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I do apologize that your visit with us fell short of your expectations. We are extremely pleased with our new event center which has provided wonderful memories for our guests attending weddings, concerts and shows. The housekeeping staff does a wonderful job keeping the rooms clean for our guests. If you get the opportunity please join our party on the terrace during the summer on Wednesday evenings to experience good food and entertainment with a view. We are continuing to improve our property and always working hard to provide a wonderful experience for all our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Cassville, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2014

A few family and friends went to the hotel for my birthday. The check in took longer than it should have but there were only 2 desk persons and a lot of check in activity going on. We all stayed in rooms with either two double beds or one king size, the rooms were nothing special, just pretty standard hotel rooms. At least there was a mini fridge and a microwave in each room which I think is a real plus. We all ate at the Friday night buffet, which for $13.00 a head was well worth it. All the steak and clams (mahogany's) you could eat and plenty more. We went to the bar at the casino after dinner to listen to the band. The dance floor could stand to be a little bigger. I found the bartenders to be pretty friendly and the service was good. After the band quit we went back to the room and I have to admit, the bed was fantastically comfortable. I slept great on it. I usually wake up with back pain but not in that bed. My brother and his wife said their bed was great too. Overall, this is a pretty nice place for an overnight get away or maybe even two. It isn't a Vegas casino, and you won't see the beautiful people gambling like the movies show, but what do you expect from a small town in upstate NY? I'd go again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments which allow us to always look at ways to continue to improve. Yes we don’t consider ourselves a large casino but we are very proud of our property and the high level of customer service. I apologize for any delay during the check in process as we do work hard trying to reduce the wait time getting guests checked in. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time and if you visit us during our racing season we have much more to offer. Once again I would like to thank you and looking forward to your next visit.
Tully, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel staff was accommodating. Rooms were typical for price. Breakfast had many choices.
Lobby was warm and inviting with a fireplace. Pool was ok but no where to change or leave cloths.
Lots of chorine but we were the only ones in the pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us. We do work very hard toward exceeding our guest’s expectations so they have an outstanding visit. We do have large bathrooms near the pool entrance but it seems most prefer to change in the room prior to going down to the pool. This is something we will consider as we continue to expand. Once again thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!