“Nice hotel if you arrive after 3 pm”
Review of Vernon Downs Hotel

Vernon Downs Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here while attending a wedding in the area. The double bed room was more spacious than expected with a couch, microwave and fridge. The 5th floor room was clean and quiet even though we overlooked the parking lot. However, the rigid after 3 pm check-in policy is a big negative that shows the management really doesn't care to provide exceptional customer service. We traveled many hours to get here and had to wait until exactly 3 pm to check in, and at that time a long line formed. Not the greatest way to greet a tired traveler. I liked this hotel but because of this policy I will not return.

1  Thank cheezit_9
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced regarding check-in time. The housekeeping team works extremely hard getting rooms ready with check-out being 11am it does become challenging and overall they do a great job with this time frame. Thank you for your comments as we continue to work hard to provide great service.

There are newer reviews for Vernon Downs Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2014

While intown for a wedding we stayed at vernon downs hotel.. Outside and inside the it looked like a very nice hotel. We checked in around 3:00 pm on 7/11/14. room. Room appeared to be a nice room, later in the evening I noticed toenail clippings on the rug between the window and the bed. The next day while we away room service was in and cleaned and vaccumed the rooms ,but still did not get the toenail clippings that were left the floor from the previous occupants. So while leaving for dinner I stopped at the front desk to let them know about the clippings.upon returning later that night, I checked to see if room service had been in. Indeed they had cleaned up the clippings, But , Now there was someone's thong laying on the floor by the bed. Which did not belong to any one in our family.. Can you say NASTY.,..This was my first stay at this hotel,and i'm pretty sure it will be my last...

1  Thank racechaser62
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and discussed this with our executive housekeeper. We take great pride providing our guests with clean accommodations and at times will have shortfalls. Once again we apologize and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel was not worth it. Called ahead, was told rooms may not be ready till 3pm, but could use the facilities after 11am.
When we arrived at 1pm we were told that the rooms were not ready, but could call the desk and check back. We were then told that we could not register until the room was ready, therefore we were not technically guests so we were not welcome to use the pool, etc.
At 2:30 we were told the rooms were still not ready.
At 3:00pm all of the rooms were miraculously available. The line of people was to the door. The manager of the hotel then stated that housekeeping doesn't let them know which rooms are available until 3pm
What's wrong with this picture folks, NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Don't arrive early, block head, the hotel manager will not permit early registration. Nor will h...
1  Thank Dennis M

Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during the check-in process. During the week when we have lower occupancy we work to get guests in early but on sold out dates we begin to have rooms available at 3pm. This is a standard in most hotels and again we apologize for any inconvenience.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Spent a Friday night at Vernon Downs for our anniversary and stayed the night in one of the suite rooms (331).

The room itself was very large and spacious. It consisted of a large, open bedroom area with a Jacuzzi tub in one corner and a king bed against the wall. The is a door off the bedroom that opens up into a living room area with couch, sink, fridge and flat screen t.v. There is also a small closet.

The room itself was pretty nice, and very very spacious for just the two of us. The room appeared clean on the surface but if you really looked at things you would notice that the bathroom floor was dirty around the toilet (which kept clogging) and there was some fuzz and other small items in the corners of the room on the floor.

The Jacuzzi was old but worked great and was very nice. Big enough for two!

But what really made this stay for me was the bed. And when you are staying at a hotel over night it's all about the bed. This bed was so amazingly comfortable that I actually pulled up the side of the sheet to see what brand it was. (It was a Simmons Beauty Rest Super Pillow Top). The bedding felt luxurious and the pillows were just how I like them. I probably got one of the best sleeps that I have gotten in such a long time. I woke up relaxed and rested so this hotel gets 4 stars from me.

The lobby of this hotel is beautiful, with a huge fireplace and nice sitting area. There is a nice place to eat connected to the hotel and we enjoyed a great meal sitting outside on the deck watching the horse races. There is also a connecting hallway to the casino. We did not hear any noise from either the casino or the races in our room.

Overall a great stay. Would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the race track. When you wake up in the morning you can open your bed...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy A

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback and I’m thrilled we met your expectations while visiting. We are very proud of our property and work very hard to provide all of our guests with outstanding guest service. Your correct about the beds being comfortable as we receive many compliments about them. Once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I just wish there was more to do in the area. But the hotel itself is gorgeous, and the second nicest room I've stayed. Bed was super comfortable... pillows are dreamy. My room had a coffee pot, microwave, and fridge. There was a half-eaten cookie in the night stand drawer, but the cleaning person wouldn't see it unless the drawer was pulled out completely. I only found it because I pulled the phone book out.

My only complaint, which requires me to dig deep, is I couldn't find a way to change the aspect ratio on the TV, so that some of the programs the images were a bit skewed. But really, who cares?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joel D
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I did let our housekeeping staff know how important it is to check all aspects of the room to avoid those types of issues. I do apologize for the problem with the television and when you stay with us again please remember there is always somebody at the front desk that will try to provide assistance with any problems during your stay. Once again thank you for your comments and I’m looking forward to you visiting us in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel and casino staff are very well trained in customer service ! Fast ,easy check in! Not a big casino, but a feeling of being safe is important ! There are several events going on every Friday,Saturday and Sunday that make it fun! The horse racing is a huge bonus! We look forward to every racing season at Vernon downs! The slots are not as tight as there competition. A few hundred dollars goes a long way when spending a weekend playing machines ! unlike neighboring casino that sucks your money up in minutes! Rooms clean and comfortable ! Have good bands on Friday and Saturday, would be nice of they added a few more nights for us seniors that go other nights! Great place to visit!

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms worth the extra money
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon S, Manager at Vernon Downs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest,
I really enjoy it when our staff provides quality service all around for our guests. We are very excited with our property and now with racing on Thursday and our party on the terrace on Wednesday starting this month we do provide more entertainment throughout the week. Once again thank you so much for your feedback and we will continue to work hard at making all our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Room was spotless and the pool was great. The Bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby. Breakfast buffet was surprisingly well equipped. All in all, THIS TIME we had a great stay. A HUGE improvement from our last visit and will bring me back to stay again when the weather is better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you from the entire staff for your feedback regarding your visit. We are very proud of our property and the service we provide and it is wonderful to know that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable visit. Once again thank you and we do look forward to you staying with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!