“My definition of "suite" must be off ...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vernon Downs Hotel

Vernon Downs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Stevensville, Maryland
“My definition of "suite" must be off ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

Well, like some others have said, they aren't many other options around unless you want to spend a small fortune at Turning Stone (though the Microtel seemed to be an ok option). So, we booked here at a rate that seemed on par with the other budget hotels around.

The outside of this place fools you - the hotel looks pretty new. I knew as soon as I walked in the front door that the newer outside was a facade ... the interior is in definite need of an overhaul. They say "171 Room All Suite hotel" ... but, to me, a suite isn't simply a room with a bed, a sofabed, and a fridge that can fit a 6-pack of coke. A suite, to me, is something like an Embassy Suites, or something in that category. Wrong. The only thing that was probably replaced since the early 1990s was the TV. The carpeting was a nasty dark green, the bedspread was the typical dark color that probably hides any number of stains, and the shower was straight out of a dorm room. And this was a Comfort Suites back in the day, by the way, as the sticker they afixed over the Comfort Suites name to indicate the new name had fallen off the door placard.

The "business center" was comical ... simply a desktop computer stuck out in the lobby. The hotel does have free wireless, though, and worked fine.

Will those issues said, it wasn't visibly dirty ... it was fairly quiet ... and we had a view of the track. The food is average at best, but it is available. I didn't think the casino was bad, but it was packed.

So, understand that this place is no better than roadside quality, and that using "suite" to describe the place is them really saying "outdated hotel room." Should have read the earlier reviews a bit more carefully - they ones that give the place subpar marks are spot on. And I also agree with another review - everyone that works here seems miserable and downtrodden. Wonder why?

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank cne24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Ithaca, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

We have stayed here numerous times. We are frequent travelers to casinos, including atlantic city and niagara falls, and you need to keep in mind where you are. you are not in vegas. you are not going to get vegas style rooms,vegas style food , or anything else. it is a small venue. vernon is a nice getaway, a quick getaway and it delivers. we have almost always have good service, free , clean rooms, and always had a good time. yeah, there is work that needs to be done, but isnt there always? it is different in a small but satisfying way. we are going for new years eve. good luck and best wishes to you all!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank donaldtodd
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2009

Full disclosure - there are 2 hotel/casinos within a few miles of each other in this area. If you're looking for the "Vegas-style" hotel, this is not the one for you. The Vernon Downs hotel is more value based. And what a value it is! The rooms are spacious and clean, the staff has always been friendly and welcoming, and the ammenities are excellent. The pool/hot tub area is always clean, the exercise room has all the machines that you'll need, and the continental breakfast is not fancy, but enough to get you started for the day.All are included in the room price (unlike some others in the area) **My secret tip** Whether you are booking on-line or via telephone- ask for the "Post-time Rate"- the rate is reserved for the rooms on a specific floor facing the parking lot, but when the hotel has other vacancies you may automatically be upgaded to higher floors possibly facing the horse-racing track. All-in-all: my wife and I have stayed here many times and would never hesitate to return. It is all the hotel that the other "Vegas-style" hotel is at a fraction of the price and every time we return they keep improving little things that make a big difference.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjones69
ithaca, new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

Stayed one night - October 18-19 - with family. Rooms were large and fairly clean - casino ok - pool and hot tub nice - breakfast enough to get you up and going. After returning home I realized my brand new Columbia white winter jacket was missing - after searching I found my coat had been left behind - my error because I trusted someone to take my luggage and coat to our vehicle while I returned to the casino with others - he said he could not remember if he left it in the room or the lobby but was positive he did not put it in the vehicle. I called both the cleaning service and security but no coat - was so upset because it had been a gift from my granddaughter.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dadscat
Fayetteville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel at Vernon Downs over Labor Day weekend. We were greeting at the front desk by Patty who was very friendly and happy. She upgraded us to a room with a veiw of the race track on the 6th floor at no charge and provided us with all the information we needed for our stay. To our pleasant surprise, we were told that there is a free continental breakfast Monday through Friday. This was a nice extra. The rooms were clean and very spacious. The view of the race track and the surrounding countryside was great. Each room has a mini wet bar areas with sink, small refrigarator and microwave. The televisions in the rooms are all newer 32" flat screens. We really enjoyed using the pool and the hot tub each day. The area is nicely kept with wicker chairs and lounges. You do have to sign a waiver for the pool use, so I do suggest if you think you might use the pool ask to do this a check in time, just to save a little bit of hassle doing it later. The continental breakfast is the usual fair of danish, fruit, yogurts, and bread items to toast. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. It is not a place to go to if you are thinking Vegas style casino and hotel, but for a couple days to get away and relax it is great. We are already planning a trip back at Thanksgiving. Oh and there is a slots casino. The casino is open from 10 am to 2 am and there is a race track, harness racing with racing until early November. And if you don't mind a short drive there is shopping and restaurants in New Hartford.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank irelandgirl
Utica , NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

The rooms are ok for the price. The issues are the staff. The THUGS from the casino come into the hotel to smoke near the pool and throw dirty looks around at the guests
I wanted to pop a couple of them in the head and say 'what the hell you looking at?' customer service just doesnt ring through at this place. From the hotel to the casino no one is properly trained. I was in the hotel lobby with a 'hotel' styrofoam cup and one of the casino THUGS asked me what was in it??? The Nerve!!!! So if you have a strong stomach to be harassed by casino employees on their smoking break and dont mind incompetence and being treated like an intruder, sign up!! The general manager Jeff has contempt for you if you complain.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

We stayed for two nights for Hamilton College commencement and had a most enjoyable stay! The staff was very pleasant, the rooms were very clean, the buffet food was fine.

Best part was our room overlooking the harness racing track - we enjoyed watching the races at night and the practices during the day (some drivers were even texting - there should be a law!)

It seems like the recent complaints I see must have been a very off day. We highly recommend this as a reasonably priced choice,

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome

Been to Vernon Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!