“Great people make a great hotel!!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Verona
keswick
“Great people make a great hotel!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

From the moment we checked in and met Trish, I knew we were going to have a great stay. Trish was so friendly right from the get go.

We were given a room on the 1st floor (105). The room was clean, the bed comfortable and pillows were comfiest. The only problem I had was getting the WIFI in the hotel. Trish was amazing. She called the company for me and before you know it I was skyping with my daughter.

We went over to the casino. We decided to drive as the shuttle only operates until 10:00 pm. The casino is great except the food. We got chicken and mashed potatoes from the food court and ended up throwing it all out. The upside is that my husband won over $200 on a slot machine!!

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Thanks Trish!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lakewood, NY
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our stay at this Fairfield Inn was very nice. The room was clean and quiet and check-in was a breeze. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the Turning Stone Casino which was awesome. Even though the casino is only across the street(1/4 mi total?), it would be a challenging walk since there are no sidewalks, especially in the dark.
Another note-worthy positive aspect of this hotel for us is that they do not use perfumed air fresheners in either the lobby area or halls and room.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Albany, NY
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We have stayed here about a half dozen times since it opened and each time is very nice. The breakfast is very good, the rooms comfortable and the location nice. To that end, the location is good because there is a Dunkin Donuts and a Recovery Room adjacent to the parking lot so it is easy to get lunch/dinner while not at the Casino. We have run into crowds of partiers that tended to be loud (Friday or Saturday nights) or clearly hung-over on Saturday or Sunday mornings at breakfast. This is clearly more a casino overflow spot vs. a stopover for travelers, hence why the higher prices. If you are staying on a weekend night, insist on a corner room as these are quieter than something in the middle of the floor corridor.

Room Tip: If you are staying on a weekend night, insist on a corner room as these are quieter than something i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank STEBAY711
Ashley D, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your response. We apologize for any issues you had with any noise. As you are aware of our location across from the casino, we try to contain it as much as possible, especially with our security present on the weekends. If there are any issues in the future please be sure to contact one of our associates for immediate assistance. We are so glad you enjoyed our breakfast as we have worked hard to make sure it accompanies everyone's taste. We hope when you are back in the area you choose to stay with us again. Again, thank you for your time in giving us feedback.
Webster, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We spent one night during a stop at the Turning Stone Casino. They were kind enough to let us check in early. Afterwards we asked for a lift to the casino. The shuttle service was fast and the driver friendly. The room itself was very clean and comfortable. The desk staff was personable all three shifts we had contact with. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Staff was great, Our rooms were nice and clean. Small pool area for the kids. They have a free shuttle van to take you to and from turning stone. Breakfast was a surprise, not your typical hotel breakfast. A+

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe10977
Albany, NY
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is a nice hotel and more budget-friendly than staying on site at the casino. They offer a shuttle and you just call the front desk when you are ready to come back. My only issue was the noise, possibly due to being close to the elevator. I stayed on a Saturday night and people came back to their rooms at all hours. You could hear people in the halls all night and I didn't sleep well. I really was more concerned with gambling than sleeping anyway so it was well worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alli217
Ohio
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Sadly this hotel has no business being listed as a Marriott level 5, which was the first question I asked when we arrived at property. The main reason it gets this rating from my understanding is because of the rewards guests who stay here - the only reason this is the case is because there is no other Marriott in this area - what I will tell you is DO NOT STOP - either stay in Syracuse or continue to Albany - you will be thankful you did. This certainly could be because we were there on a weekend (shame on us) - maybe just maybe during the weekday it might be different. The staff is truly lovely - until we met with the GM to 'address' my concerns. The below is the letter I wrote to him - as promised, here is my review. Still nothing has been done to address this..., and it's November. Beware.
*****************************************************************************************************
I am writing to let you know of a bad experience made worse, because of the response of GM. On June 15, we stayed at the FFI Verona. Walking up to the property, we had to avoid the car unloading with the all smoking group - and went to the lovely front desk staff. They were very kind- I signed the quiet weekend policy thankfully because we'd driven a long way and tomorrows drive was even longer. They even accommodated my request for a top floor. We heard a loud group coming down the elevator (which I thought was odd since we had just signed the quiet policy) and met them there - they were all decked out in party wear and drinks in hand, party clearly started...it was after 9:30pm. We came back down to the lobby soon after getting into our room, and while printing , my daughter told me how the smoke was really making her eyes itch - although non smoking, the crowd dragged in their fumes...oh well - so i can tell you already the no smoking and quiet weekend policy didn't seem to be working too well. Also, i had to let the front desk know the ice machine on 3rd floor didn't work - he said it's been broken and sorry... but by the way, the CASINO SHUTTLE runs every hour all night and is complimentary.

Then it clicked - the smoking, the party elevator, and the quiet weekend paperwork - this hotel was right across from a huge casino. And in the middle of a rather low socioeconomic area (based on the little travel we did trying to find a place to eat - do not EVER recommend the 'steakhouse' - didn't look safe enough to even drive past), I was SHOCKED this hotel was a fairfield inn level 5 (the desk said they were level 5 because they had new full hot breakfast...) then realizing it's the only hotel around aside from the casino...it made sense. Here is the worst part - we needed a good nights sleep, and all night....ALL NIGHT, these VERY HEAVY hotel doors banged shut...the groups arriving home from weekend fun continued the party through the halls into their door slamming rooms...I finally realized in the morning it was the shuttle or just weekend parties moving from location to location ..... I WAS SO EXHAUSTED the next morning.... I did say something to the front desk about the awful noise, the horrible mattress, and oh by the way the PRIOR GUEST had left a survey filled out and it was still standing my the coffee pot in the room..... the noise and disruption of sleep all night was inexcusable and they asked me why I din't call security? WHY WASN'T SECURITY DOING THEIR JOB? WARDING OFF the parties before they headed to the floors? and it wasnt' anything consistant - it was just constant blips of loudness - slamming doors - groups loudly moving about...again, I would love to know the shuttle schedule and how many drunk smokey people exited.... so... i was offered to speak with the GM who was in that Sunday.

He took me into his office, and closed the door which was uncomfy - I felt i was there for an interrogation. I explained the overwhelming disappointment with the all night disturbances (reminding i had signed a policy guaranteeing a quiet night), as well as finding past guest leftovers in my room. He proceeded to inform me they were an award winning hotel and he doesn't take off $$ for bad stays. Great - this award winning casino shuttle hotel just told me essentially too bad, your problem, we got your money have a nice day. I was told by Mr. Bates he would put some points on our account. Not what I wanted (I had wanted a full night sleep, as I had a very very long day of travel and driving ahead) - and to make it worse, i headed back out to the lobby where my daughter sat on a bench having breakfast - the torn, worn, bench of this award winning hotel, made me so angry... we had to eat breakfast out in the lobby because of the overcrowded, under fed breakfast crowd was overflowwing the breakfast cubby. By the end of the breakfast hour, the hot breakfast food still hadn't been refilled (although the staff was lovely, the property and guests were not). So we headed back to our room, and gathered our belongings, grateful to leave the rockhard mattress, and survey filled out by prior guest.... $109 poorer and exhausted we went on our way. The casino loomed large as we drove toward the turnpike, and every time I pass the verona exit now, I feel sick and angry. I have continued to check our account, and no marriott rewards points were added. My credit card however charged immediately and I'm still livid about the continued overpromise and under deliver response from GM.

I realize things happen - parties happen in hotels and the staff never knows; housekeeping overlooks things the past guest leaves in rooms (should never happen); breakfast crowds overwhelm the food volumne (if you're sold out you should plan and staff accordingly - perhaps gm could have helped cook more food); but to have a casino shuttle delivering guests who are loud and smell like smoke all night, and your heavy doors slam all night and a tired guest tells you they are miserable and you tell her you are award winning??? REALLY? I am confident Mr. Marriott would not appreciate the lack of listening, empathizing and failure to make it right.

Here's what I would like Mr. Bates; refund my $109 promptly; issue me a certificate for a comp night at 1-5 hotel; purchase my husband platinum status for life :)

I have yet to send this note to Marriott Customer Service, or Trip Advisor, but will if some gesture representative of an award winning hotel is not processed promptly.

It's absurd I have to waste more time writing this and fretting over for several months, wondering every time I book a reservation if your promise has been fulfilled and if it's been taken care of.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Laura C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Vernon Downs Hotel
Vernon Downs Hotel
#3 of 3 in Vernon
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Fairfield Inn & Suites Utica

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona? Share your experiences!