“Good food, great view!”

Dining options: Reservations
Syracuse, New York
“Good food, great view!”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This is the second time I have visited this restaurant. Friends we were with are regulars, but it's the first time they have been there this season.

Four of us went for dinner on a Saturday night. We arrived just as the sun was going down, and were seated within 5 minutes. The place was quite busy, but the serves did a great job of tag-teaming to make sure that we were greeted and our drink order was taken. They have a full bar and a small, but very good.

The food was exceptionally well prepared and the selection was very tasty. Nothing too adventurous - fairly typical restaurant food around here. The tables are beach-themed display cases - glass-topped with shells and other attractive beach flotsam underneath.

The main feature of this restaurant is the view - most tables look out over an attractive lawn, to a dock and Oneida Lake. The sunset on the night we were there was absolutely spectacular.

Apparently this season they have a new chef, and changes have been made to the menu to get rid of the sandwich-style dishes. The whole group felt that this was an improvement over the old menu. One of the guests had a steak and said it was very good, another had a chicken francaise special, yet another the clams with linguini, and I had the chicken riggies.

Definitely one of the better restaurants on the east Oneida Lake shore.

• Visited May 2013

St. Petersburg, Florida
“nice view,...outdoor seating”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

nice place, nice wine list, good food and nice view...only wish it was open for lunch?
I had pasta and my husband had the fish special and love it

Visited May 2012
Sylvan Beach, New York
“Great place to dine”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The food is excellent. You have a nice view of the lake and sunset. Depending on the time you arrive you may have to wait as they do not take reservations. The greens are so good and you can order them with or without hot peppers. Servers are pleasant.

• Visited August 2012
Canastota, New York
“Great view, good food.”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My family went here for an enjoyable dinner 5/24/12. The restaurant was a little slow as the season has not hit yet. We sat in the main room with an excellent view of the lake. The seafood bisque was reccomended highly by our waiter and my wife and I took his advise. The bisque was all he said it was and more. We had the haddock which was very tasty not overly breaded, our daughter had the fried shrimp (very nice size). All in all a very pleasant evening cost was about $70.00 for 4 with appetizers but no cocktails.

• Visited May 2012
New Hartford, New York
“Soooo disappointed”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We have been to the Sea Shell twice this summer before this recent visit. Unfortunately we won't be returning.
We arrived at 7:15 and took a drink outside to enjoy the view and wait for a table. Told it would be about 30 minutes and had no problem waiting.
We were seated at 7:45 and order was given. App's came out about 15 minutes later which was fine as it was busy. Soup was delicious as was calamari.
No bread, no checking on drinks but again they were busy. Then we noticed that other tables were being well served. Someone always checking on their drinks, bringing bread, etc.
Brian, our server, never came by to ask about refills or to explain the delay. Another table of 12 was seated after us and served their dinner. We kept waiting for Brian to return to ask about refills. He never came. We politely asked a different server to speak with a manager. None came out. My husband went to the bar to try and find someone and he asked again for a manager. No one appeared. When we were finally able to flag down our server and ask why we were still waiting-especially since a large group had already been served. His response was dull - "I have no control over what goes on in the kitchen." Obviously he forgot to put our order in and wouldn't it have been better for him to just say that and apologize? We would have understood.
I'll give you a dessert he said-no thank you-by now we just want to eat and get out.

Our dinners finally came out at 9:30.

As for the meal. My daughter's fish looked like they had just thrown it on the plate. My husbands supposed fisherman's platter would have been better presented had it been from Friendly's. My swordfish was tasty and my daughter in law's chicken was very good. The side dish, which was suppose to be green beans, was unrecognizable. For me not a problem, but for my husband very much a problem as he specifically had a conversation with the server about the side dish. He only eats a few types of vegetables and when Brian said green beans he was happy to choose them. Keep in mind that a dinner at this restaurant is not super expensive but certainly not super inexpensive. One should expect to get what they ordered and if the kitchen runs out it's up to the server to communicate that. Don't just substitute something without an explanation.

Server never returned to ask about our meals or to check on refills. Brian seemed like a nice enough young man but needs to be re-educated on how to serve.
Then we waited and waited to get our check. Brian never came by. Another server did come over to see if she could help. She had been watching us patiently wait and really did want to help. She was very nice but after this debacle and no attempt by management to speak to us, we just wanted out!
So we went to the bar to try and find someone. My husband explained that he had tried to speak to a manager and he also tried to speak with our server.
I understand that sometimes things go wrong. However, we are 30+ year business owners ourselves and only wanted a moment to speak with someone of authority.
Again, this was maybe just a bad night but my husband - generally a very amicable and easy going guy-was so frustrated by their lack of management that he won't return. There are many restaurants in the area to choose from. Sorry to say that this one is now off our list.

• Visited September 2011