“Excellent food and service”
Review of Nhu Y

Nhu Y
Ranked #71 of 98 Restaurants in Vestal
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Binghamton, NY
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

First things first: I wouldn't know a bowl of pho from borscht, BUT, I had a lovely dish of shrimp pho and shared probably the best Vietnamese spring rolls I have ever had anyplace (and that includes some Vietnamese restaurants in Seattle). My big 'beef' with most asian restaurants of any sort is that all soups are just filled with salt; the pho was not. It was very delicate and tasty. we were very impressed. I know 'cash only' is an annoyance for people; so be it. We thought the food was excellent and the service quick. Our host was a bit quirky (aren't they all) but spent a lot of time explaining 'pho' and the differences depending on where in Vietnam you are from.

• Visited March 2014

New York City, New York
“Just say "no" to this faux pho”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had a work meeting with some gastronomically adventurous colleagues one evening. All of us have traveled extensively and 2/3 of our crew has eaten its way across Asia. While Man Nam is our favorite local Korean place, we had hoped to find "our" vietnamese place to keep things fresh.

For starters, cash only. Seriously? Go to Target and pick up a cube. This isn't a legacy business. It opened up in the last few years. They did so, however, without planning to take my plastic so I need to run across the lot and pay foreign ATM fees. Strike 1.

Two entrees and a few appetizers for four people cost around $100. While we did get the pho, we also experimented with a BBQ pork loin (which I cannot recall the name of). We got a fair amount of food. But a hundred bucks goes a lot farther at other local ethnic eateries. Strike 2.

Our food took 45 minutes to prepare (for a to go order). We were starving. The pho was adequate. There is better pho to be found in Endicott (or preferably, Ithaca). The rest of the meal was a severe disappointment. Imagine eating a summer roll with a large prawn visible in it. Now imagine that each bite finds you struggling to taste that big prawn. But you can't. All you get is a mouthful of veg and the knowledge that this prawn's ultimate sacrifice was wasted.

The pork was covered in a sauce that tasted exactly (not "reminiscent of" or "similar to") like the BBQ ribs at any Chinese takeout place. The difference was that these pork loins were nearly three times the price, twice as fatty and lacking a good sear to give them a desirable texture. Strike 3.

All in all, we would have done better with a Chinese takeout. And we don't like Chinese takeout.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Tim O
Ithaca, New York
“Fresh and flavorful”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Have visited twice in the past month, has been good quality food on each visit. Is cash only, so bring cash, no lunch menu so lunch prices are a little higher than to be expected.

• Visited April 2013
Binghamton
“Happiness is in a hot bowl of Pho”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I'm a regular to the nail salon next door and accidentally found this little place. Doesn't look too inviting from the outside, but do go in, especially if you want to warm up from the inside with comfort food. (though, the door is right there so you may need to keep your coat on :) Finally a Vietnamese restaurant in Vestal! Yeah!

I ordered the Tai Chin Bo Vien (rice noodle soup with eye of round steak, well done flank and meatball). The soup was mild but very tasty with all sorts of spices(which makes a part of my brain tingle with joy), the noodle firm and hot, the side dish filled with fresh bean sprouts, Thai basil and a lime wedge. I did put some chilli and Hoisen sauce on the rim of my bowl to adjust the taste as I proceeded.
It was evident that the simple dish was made with care and a sense of pride.
There was only one waiter, but he quietly cleared the dishes after the guests left, prioritized his present guests, and his calm but friendly demeanor added to the quiet comfort the place provided. As I did that night, international students from many Asian countries (I heard Korean and Chinese) and their American friends took comfort in the simple warmth and comfort of the affordable and healthy food that came close enough from home.

Cash only ;)

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank foodie92
Binghamton, New York
“Tasty, casual, local restaurant”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Last night was our first visit. We were pleasantly surprised. This is a casual alternative to the other Vietnamese restaurant in the area. They offer appetizers such as spring rolls, summer rolls, egg rolls, and a shredded pork salad. Their menu is a bit limited - only pho, vermicelli, and broken rice - but there are multiple options of each.

The restaurant has a maximum occupancy of 28 so needless to say there aren't many tables, maybe 8. There was only one waiter so at times we waited for a water refill.

It is cash ONLY - no credit, no checks. They offer dine in or take out. I can easily see us ordering a lot of take out summer rolls in the future.

It was a nice casual restaurant, with friendly staff, and good food. We will gladly go back in the near future.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank dandy_warhol

Been to Nhu Y? Share your experiences!