“Good but with reservations”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Soup Spoon - CLOSED

The Soup Spoon
Price range: US$2 - US$11
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Cafe, Soups, Cambodian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Description: Welcome to The Soup Spoon, where we are so much more than your average bowl of soup! Here, we specialize in what we like to call Cambodian comfort food, and while very similar to Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, our dishes are very unique. The majority of our dishes are family recipes that have come straight from Cambodia, and how we prepare and serve our food here is just how our family enjoys it at home. It is our sincerest hope that you enjoy it just as much as we do! We pride ourselves on meticulously making every batch of soup, sandwich, and spring roll, and our main goal is to provide you with an amazing experience combined with a unique array of menu options and flavors. To achieve this, we have partnered with other local businesses to ensure outstanding quality and support of our local economy. We thank you for your patronage, and look forward to sharing a taste of Cambodia with you!
Canandaigua, New York
“Good but with reservations”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Others have described the menu so I wont go into details. The soup was quite tasty and steaming hot but got cold very quickly (maybe heated in a microwave oven?); the hot tea came in a pot that apparently did not retain heat. The service started out great but deteriorated quickly. The owner (manager?) was very friendly and helpful at first and even offered a free dessert for my friend whose birthday we were celebrating - but when we were done with our main dishes, we waited 45 minutes for the dishes to be removed and dessert brought. The owner appeared to be talking to salesmen and forgot about us; the kitchen staff ignored us. The restaurant was also freezing; I felt like keeping my coat on while I ate.

• Visited February 2014

Rochester, New York
1,910 restaurant reviews
“Very good food, walk-thru service”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I ate at the Soup Spoon today, and I did enjoy it although I'm not going to end up giving it a '5,' as have most people. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. It just means that I found no "wow" factor here, but it was still a very good lunch.

The Soup Spoon is a "natural Cambodian" restaurant that features Pho, a noodle-in-broth soup that can have shrimp or other meat served in it for an extra cost. There are also many other items on the menu, which you order as you go through the serving line. You do not order at your table, but at the counter as you walk in.

I ordered a bowl of Pho, to which I added the shrimp. I also ordered some shrimp Spring rolls, which came served on a plate with two kinds of dipping sauce; a sweet-and-sour sauce, and a peanut sauce. I found that the peanut sauce was rather thin for my likings, although I may be used to the peanut sauce served in Thai restaurants, which is darker and with a much more pronounced flavor. (Perhaps that is Thai only, though, so I'll reserve judgment.) Regardless, this peanut sauce wasn't bad, and it did have a nice spicy bite that I enjoyed. Besides that, the Spring rolls were also tasty, but not really unusual or unique. But I did enjoy them.

The Pho was exactly what I expected; noodles in broth with the extra shrimp added. An extra tray (photo included) contained cilantro, green onion, bean sprouts, and lemon, which you could add to taste. Another tray held salt, pepper, and dried toasted onion, which I used to enhance the flavor. It was pretty good, but being honest, I could have made the same thing myself without much thought.

The beverages were also self-serve, from a machine against the back wall of the restaurant.

As far as atmosphere, the Soup Spoon is an aesthetically pleasing room inside a small indoor mall in the middle of town. There are only seven tables in this place; four elevated "bar stool" types, and three actual sit-down tables with real chairs. Because of this, this restaurant must fill up quickly at meal time, and getting a seat for a handicapped person must be challenging.

In summary, I did enjoy my lunch here, and there certainly is nothing wrong with this restaurant (unless you insist on a full-service meal). I just wasn't as "wow"d as many of the other diners.

• Visited November 2013
Buffalo, New York
“Totally different experience!:)”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

It's place is excellent. I've never had anything like it. You get a basic soup and get to add items that you want to change the flavor. The ginger chicken was also spectacular!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Misspickyeater
Western NY
“Excellent lunch or simple dinner choice...”
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Something new to try in Victor. Pretty easy to find, convenient parking and a concise , flavorful menu. We have been ther for lunch and early dinner, and came away very satisfied each time. The pho and curry soups were flavorful and filling, as were the teas and spring rolls. Well surely go back for this healthy fare!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DonB100
NY
“Simple and Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The inside of the restaurant looks modern and clean. It seems like "starkness" is a requirement for most Vietnamese restaurants I have visited and The Soup Spoon breaks that mold with leather chairs, a flat screen TV and high chairs and tables.

The menu is pretty straightforward, a nice selection of teas, pho and num pang (bhan mi). And when I visited, I had all three : Jasmine green tea, Pho w/ meatballs and pork num pang. All three were excellent. I especially liked the pho...with a dash of Sriracha, there was a perfect blend of pepper, hot and broth flavoring.

Reasonably priced, nice decor and great food. I'll will return soon to what I think is a contender for the best Vietnamese in the Rochester area.

• Visited March 2013