“Unexpected surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
West Virginia
“Unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I went to India House for lunch. The host welcomed me and said I could take any seat. The buffet was plentiful, fresh, and varied. Although perhaps not fair I compare Indian restaurants based on their tandoori chicken. The dish at India House was smoky and moist, nested in roasted vegetables. Great. Dal was a stew (done right). Nice selection. Reasonably priced at $10 plus tax and tip. I didn't drink, but their wines by the bottle were affordable. Clean and foods replenished.

Visited April 2014

Rochester, NY
“Second the Last Reviewer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We arrived at 5:10 on a Wednesday night. Lights were out, but the doors were open. No one at the desk to greet us. Finally had to knock on the kitchen door to inform the cooks we were there. A cook came out, turned on the lights, and gave us menus. Shortly afterward, the waiter, whom I think might have been the manager, arrived at the restaurant and greeted us and took our order. That is the last of the negative stuff. Food was great and service was good. We ordered a bread--Onion Kulcha as an appetizer. It was excellent and filling. Then the entrees---Chicken Saag and Chicken Makhani---arrived. The Saag was great, as usual (We have eaten here several times before). The Chicken Makhani was a little too buttery for my tastes, but my wife liked it (I don't like buttery tastes in my food.). Portions were very large, and when the waiter brought boxes for the left-overs, he gave us extra rice. As I said, we have eaten here before, always fairly early, and the dining room is either empty or almost empty. I don't see how they stay in business. People in the area are missing out on some great Indian food.

Visited January 2014
Rochester, New York
1,884 restaurant reviews
“Great food, but restaurant needs help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We ate at India House last night, and were amazed at how empty the place was. It was out first visit to the restaurant in 3-4 years, since we've begun to patronize another Indian restaurant more. We arrived at 5:00 PM on Saturday, which was when the place opened. We were surprised that we were the only diners there, which we chalked up to being early. Yet, as we dined, no one else appeared to eat, and it was only when we left (around 6:15 PM) that the next table of diners arrived. Strange...they can't stay in business long a that pace.

Anyway, we received our food promptly after ordering, and it was as good as it's always been. I ordered seafood makani (spelling?), which was primarily shrimp in a really rich, tomato-based vegetable sauce that was really tasty. It was a bit spicy, although I would have preferred it to be a lot hotter. Still, it was very good. My wife and daughter ordered Tandoori chicken, which they said was also quite good. the restaurant gives you complimentary side dishes; in this case a spicy cabbage and tomato dish, along with another one which I didn't try, but appeared to be a potato dish...all very tasty!

One other thing; if you are a fan of naan bread, and always get the traditional white variety, you should try their other varieties. Last night I tried one that I cannot recall the name of, (something like preshwani?), that was stuffed with coconut, raisin, and perhaps some cinnamon. It was bursting with flavor, yet not overly sweetened. I highly recommend it.

The service was also attentive and prompt, although I cannot recommend the rest of the restaurant as highly as I can the food or service. The atmosphere in here has never been the greatest, (it is an old converted church building), but since our last visit is has gone downhill a bit. The carpet is now sticky, (yup, sticky), as though it has accumulated years of food and dirt, and the entire place smells a bit musty. It did not detract from our enjoyment of the food, but I can understand how it may turn off some potential return diners.

If you don't mind the sticky carpet, the musty smell and the lack of anyone else dining around you, this is still a place to get good food. I may return...the jury is still out.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Harvard, Massachusetts
“Super good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

We just happened to stop by here to get some food to bring to our hotel room after a long day of flyball racing and it didn't look very impressive on the outside but we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The Chicken Tika Masala was cooked perfectly and was not too spicy, the Nan bread was very soft and also cooked perfectly. The staff was friendly and the dining room looked nice even tho I didn't eat in.

Visited December 2012
Pittsford, New York
“Great food-Great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I love the food at India House. Service is fast and friendly. Ambiance could be enhanced by breaking up the expansive dining room into smaller sections as it's rarely full. Overall, great place for a quick Indian bite.

• Visited November 2012