All reviewsroll top baththe pubburghley housecurrylovely air conditionedlovely mealpiebefore christmasscampisunday lunchseparate showergenerous portionsbed and pillowslocal villagecooked freshstaff were welcominglamb
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay in this small hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the landlord who got up early to do breakfast an hour before he would normally be preparing it.
We had dinner in the restaurant the evening we arrived which was very pleasant with polite and helpful waiting staff.
There was some road noise during the night, but the room was comfortable and clean.
Would stay here agin if in this neck of the woods.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

stayed at local caravan site and spent a nice evening enjoying food and drink. The staff were very welcoming and attentive and the food was very very generous and very very nice tasting..yummy yummy in my tummy!!!! next time I am staying at fineshades I will be popping on by for more of the same...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

For the last few months I have been a regular resident at this wonderful establishment. Working away from home can be disheartening, but the warmth and welcome of these consummate landlords, their family and their staff has more than made up for it. Unlike a chain hotel your surroundings are not sterile and cold, but create a welcoming stylish atmosphere. The rooms all have very different styles but are decorated to a high standard and are beautifully maintained. The menu is varied and well thought out, the wine list constantly improving and the standards of service exemplary, a tailored cooked to order breakfast is always a good start to any day. The sense of community in this local village pub is palpable, and is testament to the hard working, friendly team.

Room Tip: If you want an enormous free standing bath then Harrod is the room for you
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My partner and I first stayed here in Dec2013. while visiting family before christmas. That evening ourselves and our large family group (think the were around 18 of us) all enjoyed a fabulous meal there. The evening meal was wonderful and thoroughly enjoyed by all members of the family aged from 7 to 70+. The staff and owners were all friendly and very efficient, nothing was too much trouble.
Our room (double room with shower) was spotless, and beautifully presented.
We enjoyed our stay here so much that we booked again for another visit with family just before Easter. This time we had a different room, it had a Kingsize bed and an amazing roll top bath as well as a shower. Once again everything was beautifully presented and maintained to a high standard. Just hope i didn't use too much of their hot water enjoying the bath!
I highly recommend staying here if you are visiting the area for whatever reason you will not be disappointed. It really is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed and I'm really upset that the next time we are due to visit the area they are fully booked and so we have to find somewhere else to stay :(. But we will definitely go back again some time in the near future it will be our first choice from now on.
I really cannot find a fault with any part of our stay here and think that whoever wrote the previous bad review must have either stayed somewhere else or completely lost their marbles!

Room Tip: Both the rooms we stayed in beautifully presented but my favourite was the one with the gorgeous roll-top bath.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful weekend here. Room was immaculately clean and luxurious. Owners made us very welcome and were very kind to my husband who has to follow a special diet. They cooked individual meals for him. The food was excellent. Try the lemon chicken on specials board, it was the best chicken ever. Staff were friendly and helpful. Great choice on menu. A beautiful traditional inn. When we sought advice from the staff, they could not have been more helpful. The village is very picturesque and well worth a walk around. There are lots of things to do and we enjoyed visiting the magnificent Burghley House which is just down the road. a wonderful weekend at a super inn. We will be back!

Room Tip: I saw all three rooms as friends were staying there, they all looked beautiful. Ask for the room with the stand alone bath as it is a real luxury.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends