“Evicted for singing campfire songs too loud.”

Wildwood State Park
Farmingdale, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Evicted for singing campfire songs too loud.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Mistreated from park police, treated like teenagers !! Our group was ages 40-50 gettingthrownout of a campground for having fun. Will never go back there, you have to be quite at 10 pm...too many rules, not worth it. They Werent even going to here's out ! Then they weren't going to give us a refund !! Well they gave us refund and said we can stay, and we told them o stick it M!

Visited September 2013
5 Thank chante2812

long island, ny
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Away from the crowd..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

The park is nice for barbeque and play ... clean ... but when you walk down to the beach ... omg... you fell like awesome ... u can sit hours and enjoy the view... and perfect for family beach and for Honeymooner who want to get away from everyone.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank susi23
Smithtown, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“The Negative Reviews are not warranted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Please read this review before passing judgement based on previous reviews. I would like to address a few of the complaints. We are Suffolk County natives. Wildwood is a short 45 minute ride from my home. This review comes from a very seasoned camper. We currently have a Class C 34 ft. motorhome with all the amenities. We camped in the trailer section which has 30 amp hookup, water, and sewer. We found the camp area to be clean and free from trash. We did not experience loud parties till the wee hours or loud music. We made friends with the people next to us whom also had toddlers.

The ticks were a non-issue but let me address this problem head on. One of the best parts of the park is its easy to bike/hike trails. They take you to some very peaceful and scenic areas of the park but be sure to take tick precautions. When you take refuge in this park be sure to understand that you are in the tick epicenter of the world. We have the highest concentration of tick borne illness in the western hemisphere. Common sense dictates that you take precautions. Here is the bare minimum that is required. Permethrin containing spray on your shoes, socks, and shorts. Shirts are unnecessary because the ticks will take cover under your shirts before they hit your shirts. DEET containing spray on your skin. Preferably buy and apply the 100% DEET spray such as OFF Deep Woods. For young children I make an exception and use either a Wintergreen or Eucalyptol containing product. We also watch them like hawks and do not let them enter the underbrush areas. Be sure to do a full body tick check before bedtime.

The beach is far. Very far. You would best be advised to drive or bike as close to the beach as possible and then be ready for a steep walk to the beach. While this is fine for the seasoned hiker if your beach experience requires fishing poles, shelter, and various amenities for a toddler be prepared. The beach is a north shore beach, this means the following. Stinky low tide due to the organic material contained on the rocks and lots of rocks. Did I say rocks? I mean a beach full of smooth, small, half inch rocks mixed with sand. This is the North Shore. We do not have the picturesque sand beaches of the south shore. Take it for what it is. There is no danger of a current and waves are about six inches to three inches high.

For fishing, I recommend a short pole. Seven feet is plenty. You are going for inshore fish that include, scup, blackfish, flounder, bluefish, and other various shallow water breeds. Your best bet is to fish a bucktail, 1/4 to 1/2 ounce tipped with a pork rind. Search for John Skinner videos on youtube for some more tips on fishing the north shore.

Hits/Misses: Hits: Paved roads keep down the dust. Most campsites are grassy, ours was not but we camped near a wooded edge. For the best trailer sites, aim for the middle of the T area. Our neighboring campers were courteous, offered help, did not pollute, did not make a lot of noise and were very friendly. RV sites have 30 amp service and 20 amp service at the pole, sewer and fresh water hookup. There is no cable TV hookup (a plus in my book). Site was clean with a paved pad for the RV and a table was provided. There was no visible trash at all to speak of. I found one lost paper plate the entire weekend. Trails are easily accessed, the beach is serene with a world class sunset (do not miss it!). Fishing can be red hot on an outgoing tide and around structure. I have a fat bike (google it). You are in fat biking heaven at low tide. Ride the beach and enjoy the mecca of fat bike's.

Misses: There is no pool. Most county campgrounds do not have a pool, they are basic campgrounds so this is not really a miss with exception to the comparison between county vs. private campgrounds. Fire pits. There is no fire container provided. You are responsible to either rent or provide your own fire container that must be six inches at least off of the ground. You must provide or buy your own wood. Please not the DEC rules of not transporting cut wood from more than 50 miles away. The beach is far. It is a small journey to get to the beach, please be prepared. Lack of playground facilities. We have toddlers, toddlers like playgrounds. We would like to see more playground facilities, we could not find one within easy access within the park. Lack of a fire ring. It is a pain to bring your own fire ring in addition to wood. Ugh. Electric hookup: If you have an RV you should be advised to have a surge protector at a bare minimum for your RV. They range from $75 to $300. We have a costly RV and opted for a $275 model which was worth every penny. I can monitor the amps going into the RV, as well as faults on the pole etc. This facility had some electric problems while were there. A transformer blew knocking out power to a half dozen sites, my father who was camping with us had electrical problems that damaged his Class A. We were fine the entire weekend and Dad ended up plugging his RV into our pole.

The bottom line: The bottom line comes down to one single question. Would we camp there again. The answer is an overwhelming yes. We had a great weekend of wholesome family fun. We rode our bikes, had a camp fire, etc. If you need a pool, an ocean front beach, or scheduled activities, this is not the park for you. I did not comment on the tent sites but they too are nicely maintained although the rumor is that the noise and party level is very different. Take of it what you will. Final note, the campground is easily approachable with an RV by taking 495 to the William Floyd Parkway North to 25A east to Sound Avenue east.

Visited August 2013
31 Thank Joseph D
Flushing, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Lots of ticks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We booked 3 nights but stayed only one as we got lot of tick bites. The bathroom is overcrowded and dirty but I can bear it. But the dear ticks was what scared us away. Will never go back

Visited July 2013
9 Thank Rex C
Moriches, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Do not be fooled with false reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I reviewed this park on yelp and it was filtered because I mentioned they have a terrible tick infestation. I also can not believe what I have read on this site. These reviews are not true. I have lived on LI 53 years and have camped here before. It used to be a decent place. Now it is horrible. The bathrooms were disgusting. You had no chance of getting any sleep as the noise lever was unbearable until 2 am. My party left days early as we were so totally disgusted at pulling tickos off each other. I had 12 and saved them for my doctor to examine. I have since been tested for lyme disease. The campground store is so overpriced that they suggested we get wood down the roas as they sold about 7 pieces for more than $8. We got 12 pieces for $5 3 blocks away. You have people trampling through your sites non stop. I will never go back there. I wanted to saty local this year and it was not worth it.

Visited July 2013