“Terrific day in the country!”

My Saddle Brook Farm
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Walden
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Terrific day in the country!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The last three reviews below seem to reflect impatient people who wanted a day of luxury and had little patience for the slow pace and rustic ambience a farm offers. I notice they all have one review each and are from the city, so I kinda question their motives for posting such vociferously negative reviews. This is a working horse farm that strives to expand the equestrian experience for everyone and if you have the right attitude you'll have a wonderful time, like I did.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Elektrared

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I took advantage of the Groupon deal and wished I didn't. I tried to make reservations for myself and my two daughters which was a complete fiasco. The owner who I believe was named Helen was extremely rude over the phone. We finally got reservations by contacting Groupon just before the Groupon expired.

The manner in which we were treated over the phone should have been a clue as to how the trail ride was going to go, however my daughters had their hopes up for months preceding so off we went.

The barn was dirty and nasty as was the owner. She screamed at the employees the entire time as they readied the horses for the ride. The entire procedure was very disorganized to say the least. Helen's yelling at the help was one thing but cursing (including the F word) in front of my daughters ages 9 and 12 was totally unacceptable!

The ride was about 30 minutes (Groupon said one hour) around the perimeter of the farm, one of the dirtiest, smelliest stables I had ever been to.

To sum it up... My initial attempt at introducing my daughters to horses and riding was a dismal failure! I probably should have read the reviews first. I won't make that mistake again.

I suggest that you avoid this riding stable and look into some of the more professional horse businesses in which to ride.

I certainly hope this review helps someone avoid what we have went through with My Saddle Brook Farm.

5 Thank Jamie B
NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“alright i guess”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

the owner was really rude, and was yelling at the workers/volunteers to get more people on horses, when they were already doing that. the volunteers and workers were nice and calm about it, which is nice. they were very clear with instructions.
the trail was nice, our guide was friendly. it was really pretty and lasted the full hour.
the horses seem very very tired and overworked, i felt pretty bad for them. i overheard some of the volunteers saying that one of the horses had been out 2 hours in a row and that was her 3rd hour.
other than the owner being very frantic and rude and the overworked horses, the barn was clean, instructions were clear, and trails were beautiful

4 Thank 450Beckky
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

They have zero respect for their customers, raising their voice at me on the phone when I tried to book, having tried to contact them four times by both phone and email. Incredibly rude, I could hear someone else insulting me in the background quite clearly, like on speakerphone.  If you want a bad start to your day, give them a call!

Visited November 2012
5 Thank LonyL
Washingtonville, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful Party, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We booked our son's 8th birthday party here. Unfortunately, it rained- NO PROBLEM! They had the indoor arena ready, and cleared out the covered area for picnic tables. Christina gave the kids a tour of the farm and a break-down of the safety rules. She was patient and great with the kids! We had a pair of matching grey arabian mares, Aloura and Roxcy- they were gentle and very sweet, and the kids fell in love! Christine and her mom coaxed the most nervous of the party to interact with the horses, and by the end they were mounted up and having a wonderful time! Everyone at My Saddlebrook was great- they were calm, patient and friendly- the price was very reasonable, and it was a great change of pace for us. We had a wonderful experience, and it was doubly rewarding to know that it was for a good cause. All of the animals on the farm were rescue animals, and seeing the difference Helen and her staff have made in their lives is heartwarming!

1 Thank zgab