“One of our staples”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We live fairly close to the NuCavu and frequent it regularly.

When you first pull up to the place, depending on the day you go, there will be a lot of cars in the parking lot. Summers tend to be the busiest because they have an awesome outdoor area and on Fridays you can watch skydivers. They also have bands/music in the bar area on weekend evenings. In the winter, they have a gorgeous fireplace in the main dining room. This restaurant really has great ambiance.

We find the food to be really good. They always serve you a bread basket with olive tapenade. They have a decent wine list too. Sometimes we like to go there and order a bottle of wine and a few appetizers (for our dinner). The mussels, fried calamari, and cold antipasti are all really good and more than enough for two people. As for the entrees, we find they do not disappoint. We never get to order dessert because we usually eat all of our dinner and the portions are not small! (We are piggies!)

The service is very good, they are pretty on top of the orders and clearing of the plates. I rarely ever have to ask for refills on my drink. They also have a water person who is always filling up on water.

In my opinion, the worst time to go is on a Friday night (especially if you get caught sitting inside). On those nights the staff seems to be frazzled which counteracts our wanting to relax and then with a full dining room its very difficult to hear the person next to you. I find those evenings to not be great. We find one of the best times to go is on a weekend afternoon in the summer, like a Sunday. You can usually see several airplanes arrive and take off from the runway which is right there and it is very relaxing.

I definitely recommend this restaurant and think it's worth a try and your own evaluation.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

This is hands down the best food I've had in the Hudson Valley. I only think to go on days they're closed, however, so it's unfortunate they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Go on Fridays! You can watch skydivers off the back patio just feet from where you sit, and there is also a raffle for a free tandem skydive. The menu is SO good. I've never been dissatisfied with the food.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I'm an airplane owner and my wife and I fly in regularly -- you can taxi right up to the dining patio. But I would drive an hour if I had to. This is the greatest restaurant. The food is varied, exquisite, and reasonable. Wait-staff are all professional and friendly. Views on a sunny day are uplifting. Owners are great too. You cannot leave disappointed. Wednesday nights they offer Mexican specialties like a big, perfectly spiced grilled Mexican steak for under $20. Large portions, top quality. I'd give it six stars, but the ratings only go up to five!

1  Thank skymanbob
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

We went to New Cavu because we had a gift certificate but will go back because we had a great experience! They squeezed us in on a night when they were completely booked and served us in a timely manner. Our server as attentive but not intrusive. Although they were out of my husband's 1st choice the food was wonderful! A good time was had by all!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Mexican night on Wednesday evening is nice. Food is very good. The atmosphere is always great and very friendly staff. Have been here before for a private function and it was very nicely done.

Been to Nu-Cavu? Share your experiences!