“Interesting wine but not so sweet people”

Demarest Hill Winery
Ranked #15 of 19 things to do in Warwick
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I've been to Demarest twice now, so I don't feel like it was a one-time thing. The wine isn't bad, and I do have their Apple wine (it's in my fridge now, and I was drinking it with lunch - a very light beverage that's great with lighter fare), but this was the only bottle that any of us had bought on our visit. The people seemed a little less happy to have us in the shop. Also, important note - they don't take credit cards, so show up with plenty of cash!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"treasure"
"proprietor"

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have been to wineries all over the world, and I have NEVER had an experience like this. I typically like the "cozy home-like" atmospheres, so when we drove up and I saw the tasting room was attached to the owner's home, I assured my friend traveling with me that these types of wineries are usually the best to visit. Boy was I wrong. We rang the bell, and a few minutes later a woman comes over from the house to unlock the door and let us in. She never greeted us, nothing. It appeared as though we were a bother. Inside, the tasting room was FREEZING cold. I couldn't stop shaking. She proceeded to pour us wine, never telling us exactly what she was pouring or anything about what we were about to taste. I had to keep asking, and she would mumble what we were drinking. I tried to make small talk- asking her where she was from, telling her where I was from, but it was pretty clear she wanted NOTHING to do with us. It was very awkward to say the least. We were supposed to get 7 tastes, but on the 6th one she said "ok, last one". The wine itself may be decent when freshly opened, but the reds tasted like wines that have been opened literally for weeks. VERY sour and disgusting. The place itself also looked very unprofessional- with handwritten notes taped all over the place, and used looking trinkets scattered giving it an appearance of a garage sale.

Would not return. Ever.

5  Thank iamaskibunny
Reviewed 28 October 2012

It might not be a big and flashy as some of the other winerys, how ever it will give you a great wine for your money and the owner is worth the trip just to talk to. We have driven from Brookly, NY just to go here for wine. One thing to keep in mine cash only.

2  Thank KathyMike89
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

Although it doesn't have the food service, their wines are superior to most of the wineries. Pleasant outdoor and indoor setups. Great love and care created vineyard. You may still have a great picnic at a beautiful area. Bring your own picnic food and enjoy the superior wines.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The sales/tasting room is part of the home of the owner and we weren't sure if it was open by the looks of things. Once inside, the owner offered us the tasting for $5 and proceeded to pour the different wines in rapid succession, we would still have wine in our mouths trying to get a sense of the flavor and he would be pouring the next taste into our glasses. We didn't have much time to enjoy each offering. The wines were not outstanding. We don't plan on including this stop on our next trip to Warwick.

1  Thank TnD80