“Good Food/Great Value”

Don & Pauls Coffee Shop
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Waterford
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I do not get to Don & Paul's often enough even though it is right in my hometown. When I do go there is always a crowd of people. If you are looking for tasty food at a great price, this is the place to go.

1  Thank VickiIp

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This local eatery is offers a great breakfast at a reasonable price. It's always crowded and a popular spot among the locals. (It's a casual environment.)

1  Thank Eileen L
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I will preface my review by saying that I am sure things may have gone differently, if I were a regular here. However, this was the first time I have ever been here. This is a small place which was packed the morning that I showed up. I was with one other person and we took a seat at the counter since all the tables were taken. Since we only had two people in our party, and neither of us saw a "Please wait to be seated" sign, we figured it would be acceptable to sit at the counter.

Neither of us were quite sure what made us get the evil eye from two of the ladies behind the counter. We were wearing appropriate clothes and were very polite, albeit confused. (Neither of us had anything weird on our face, no objectionable tattoos or gang symbols... honestly, no idea what was going on here!!) I digress...the waitress took our orders. Combined, we got French toast, a waffle, and two small cappuccinos. It came out fairly promptly.

Their prices ARE dirt cheap and the menu is simple, but it had just what we wanted. Evil eyes aside, we got our food and it was delicious. However, they did not bring the cappuccinos out. When we asked for the bill, we asked if it included the drinks. We saw some odd expression cross her face, as if we were being duped. My friend asked if the bill included the cappuccinos and she said no. Since we weren't allowed to see the bill and I know how much our food was supposed to cost, I am confident we got charged for the drinks despite not physically having them. We even asked for them to go since Styrofoam cups sat next to the machine, but that didn't happen for some reason.

We were scowled at the whole time we were there. It was a very disconcerting feeling. Anyway, I ate my food, and it was actually really good. I will be wary if I go back again, though, due to the service. And seriously - their prices are so low that swindling us out of 2 or 3 extra bucks for drinks we never got ... yeah, that's pretty low. We left a larger tip than I was comfortable with, but someone behind the counter must need it more than we did, apparently.

2  Thank greenwaterbrush
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This place is a gem for any Meal of the day. Simply put... a friendly atmosphere to enjoy really delisious food at a cost that no on can match. Every menu item is wonderful.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Went to the Tugboat Festival by boat last weekend (highly recommended it BTW) and ended up at Don and Paul's. D&P is a landmark diner favored by locals who come from neighboring towns for a generous and inexpensive breakfast...$2.00 for two eggs, toast and a cup of bottomless coffee. Waitresses are very pleasant and move like greased lightening. This is not gourmet dining, but it is a touch of Americana and very convenient (short walk) for boaters coming north on the Hudson and headed through the Erie or Champlain Canals. Can't beat the price!