I can't speak highly enough of this hotel. Unlike many of the more recent huge monster hotels on the Red Sea (!), it's small -about 170 rooms on 3 floors, grouped in a square round the pool. This is quite small but who cares as the reef is fabulous. Unfortunately there is no sandy beach but you can walk out on the long jetty and then snorkel or dive to see the usual suspects- parrot, butterfly and surgeon fish, tangs, etc and the coral gardens really do look like gardens as they are relatively intact and wonderful blues, greens and yellows. There are plenty of sunbeds with proper big straw shades on the artificial beach built on rock overlooking the sea. There is a proper sandy beach near the Sheraton hotel about 5 minutes walk away for people with children. Food is delicious--plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner. Lots of nice little touches like a daily newsletter giving the weather, wind etc throughout the day as well as useful information about Egyptian life and history. Also a roof terrace to gaze at the stars and on some nights at the film shows- good choices eg 'Life of Pi', 'Inception'! Spacious bedrooms with comfy beds, soft pillows and immaculately clean.
When we went we were the only English people there; the other guests being almost entirely German. But staff speak English as well as German. Lovely cool breeze in May. This can make the sea a bit choppy at certain times of day but it is calm at other times. There is a current but not too strong, especially if you have flippers. Most of the guests are there to dive or snorkel and so there don't seem to be noisy late night revellers! As other people have said, it is quite isolated in the sense that Soma Bay is entirely constructed as a resort with golf course and various hotels. So you would have to go to Safaga or Hurghada for any proper shopping.
But we had a great, restful week there and we thought this was really good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Breakers is a novelty a water sports hotel, a home for demanding individuals who want to relax completely. With lots of high quality interior design, excellent cuisine, friendly service, and direct ocean location it is a delight to stay at the Breakers for all senses. You will have a lifestyle experience, supported by a casual lounge atmosphere, friendliness and high quality. Here you can enjoy an easygoing lifestyle at the house reef by diving, kiting at the new "Kitehouse", or just reading and hanging out in the beautifully decorated lounge areas that are overlooking the red sea. Spend an unforgettable time in an El Dorado of the simple pleasures of life - surrounded by a lot of style and service, but still very relaxed and in your personal daily rhythm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick, Expedia, Hotelopia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HRS and Ebookers so you can book your The Breakers Diving & Surfing Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Breakers Diving & Surfing Hotel Soma Bay
- The Breakers Diving And Surfing Lodge