“Good quiet hotel - will definately visit again”

Sheraton Soma Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soma Bay
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Good quiet hotel - will definately visit again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Spent a week at the Sheraton in June. Wanted to basicallt sleep on the beach and relax and the Sheraton was perfect. The hotel can only have been about a third full, as most of the loungers on the beach were unoccupied, so there was no rush to reserve your space first thing in the morning. According to my travel agent, many people are avoiding Egypt because of the disturbances in Cairo and it was at the beginning of the summer season.

Soma Bay is basically just a few hotels and marina, with Hurgadha (about 40 minute drive away) being the nearest town. If you are looking for night clubs, shops or different retaurants Soma Bay is probably not for you, but for a good hotel, with pretty good "in house" ammenities, then the Sheraton is hard to beat.

I love Egyptian and all Middle Eastern food, but that was in short supply, as the Sheraton main restaurant offers a different themed evening every night. Generally it was pretty good, but I would rate a couple of the evenings as just OK. The Italian restaurant was better with both a table d'hote or a la carte menu every evening

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Mahmoud F, Deputy Director Of Guest Service at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Doug B,

Thank you for your nice w about Sheraton Soma Bay Resort

We are happy to hear that you liked the hotel services, friendliness of our colleagues and the food.

Should you will consider our hotel for any future booking, please let me know to arrange for your next stay

Best regards from Sheraton Soma Bay

mhmoud.fathy@sheraton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We've just got back from 10 fantastic days at the Sheraton Soma Bay - an enormous private luxury development with its own marina on The Red Sea and dubbed the new Egyptian Riviera.

There are so many good things to say about this hotel and the pictures on the hotel's website really don't do justice to the hotel.

For starters the level of service is truly 5 star (international levels) - no request was ever too much for any of the friendly staff.

The common areas of the hotel are palatial, marble everywhere and everything is very clean throughout the whole hotel.

The bedroom was fantastic - recently renovated, very large with excellent air conditioning, international TV channels, new 42" flatscreen LG TV (take an HDMI cable if you want to watch your own movies from your laptop) and an amazingly comfortable Sheraton sweetsleeper superking bed. The minibar is restocked every day with soft drinks even on the all inclusive deal.

There are 2 restaurants to choose from in the evenings - one is buffet style with themes rotated every week and the other is an Italian a la carte restaurant. Breakfast is a buffet affair and there is a very large selection - pretty much everything you would expect from a 5 star international hotel. Both restaurants are included on the all inclusive deal with a set menu from the latter in the evenings. The Italian restaurant is slightly more formal (men are asked to wear trousers) and the quality of service, plates, glasswear and food (even on the set menu) etc are all premium. We went to the Italian restaurant having read a recommendation on tripadvisor and we're so glad we did - once we'd been there we didn't go back to the buffet!

The pool is large, very clean and then the beach is enormous and again extremely clean as is the sea water in the bay. There's always a breeze and lots of shady lounging terraces so even at 40 degrees celsius it's easy to keep cool.

There's just enough to do to save you from getting bored with activities every day - snorkling, watersurfing etc are included and there's a great hotel gym.

Finally the hotel was very quiet when we were there (hot summer months + Ramadam + general Egypt tourism problems at the moment) - maybe 10% occupancy but this for us was an added bonus as we practically had the hotel to ourselves...

We can totally understand why so many people return to this hotel year after year - it's safe if you've got kids and big enough to find a place all to yourself if you're after peace and quiet.

If you're in two minds don't be - we walked along and the Sheraton is definitely much better than the Kempinski which is more expensive.

We'll definitely be back again!!

TIPS:

We'd thoroughly recommend taking a trip to the Cascades Thalasso Spa. Even if you just use the Aquatonic pool for €30 pp you get to use the facilities including an outdoor seawater pool, sauna and steam room all day. The aquatonic lasts for 1hr 30 mins and gives you a full body massage section by section - amazing...

Golf cart - the hotel has one for hire at €20 per day - a great way to explore the entire Soma Bay site - we used ours to get to the Spa and take a trip round the golf course!

All inclusive - definitely go for this option, if you shop around it's not that more expensive and will end up costing less than paying as you go - beer, wine (which isn't bad at all) and all soft drinks are included with this option. If you drink spirits then you can take 1 liter pp into Egypt which you might want to consider if you're not a beer or wine drinker. The staff are more than happy to serve you a bottle of wine rather glass by glass on the all inclusive deal too.

Sea View room - forget what anyone else says, for the slight extra cost it REALLY made a difference to wake up every morning and have a coffee on the balcony overlooking the stunning bay, we're so glad we upgraded at the last minute. Also go for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor to get a great view.

Wifi - this is free in the reception and bar area but €15/day for access in the rest of the hotel - as it happens we opted not to take the wifi deal and as a result we found ourselves checking email a lot less which really helped us relax a lot quicker!

Shop around - you can get some great deals online especially is you buy the hotel and flights separately - much better than booking through the hotel direct.

Room Tip: Sea View room - forget what anyone else says, for the slight extra cost it REALLY made a difference...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LiveForHolidaysLond
Mahmoud F, Deputy Director of Guest Service at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear LiveForHolidaysLond,

Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we wish to see you back as soon as possible

Please let me know whenever you will decide to come back to arrange for your next holiday

cairo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was always interested in this hotel but the location being near Hurghada made me not to try Soma bay before since I never liked Hurghada for being too busy and not having any good coral reef for snorkeling.

This time I decided to give it a try and went for 3nights from 15th June with a friend of mine.
and We really liked the hotel very much !
All staff at the hotel seems to be nice, friendly and professional.

As soon as we arrived, the reception was very welcoming with proper 5star staff. Nice smile and very professional. Lets say the service of staff at this hotel was the best in Egypt I ever experienced meaning there was not a single thing I would complain about which is unusual. Hotel itself was in good condition and the room was very comfortable.

We booked a partial sea view room and it was nice room but for Sea view I think one better book direct sea view room since Partial means really partial.

Beach was very relaxing, enough sun beds, no need to go early in the mornings to find beds. We did not try swimming pool but looked very good.
The beach is not really for swimming since it is very shallow but I could imagine it is very good for kids.

Jetty was very far as many people mentioned here. and because that Jetty is shared by many hotels, Jetty gets quite busy with scuba divers and snorkelers from several hotels(I think) in Soma bay and one afternoon I waited almost 30minutes to get into the sea for snorkeling. Many scuba divers were there. One can jump in I guess but since I had a camera I waited to use stairs.This is the only thing I did not like about since I had never experienced that busy Jetty at any other resort hotel in Red Sea. Only for this reason, I rated Very good but otherwiseI would rate Excellent .
On the last day the sea was rough and almost nobody was snorkeling.
Shallow part on the left did not get busy at all though.

Coral was much better than I expected. Quite colorful and in good condition. Since the hotel being near Hurghada I did not expect the reef to be that good so it was a nice surprise !
All red sea fish were there except Sharks which I don't think I want to encounter. I actually liked it more than Sharm el Sheikh.

Food was very good. We were on Half board and Breakfast was very good, well, better than Sheraton Montazah in Alexandria for sure. And dinner buffet was very good also.

We needed late check out and the lady at Guest relation was really helpful.

Well, if one wants proper 5star service and relaxing resort in Red Sea, I recommend this Sheraton Soma Bay.
I think I want to stay in this hotel again for sure. Now I understand why this hotel seems to have many repeaters.

Room Tip: If you want a seaview , go for Direct sea view rather that Partial sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank worldtraveller1a
Mahmoud F, Deputy Director of Guest Service at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear worldtraveller1a,

Thank you for your nice review which reflects who much you enjoyed your stay at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort

It is always our pleasure to hear that our guests are enjoying their stay at our hotel

Also we are glad that now you know the reason of the increasing number for our repeater guests which is the excellent service and friendliness of treatment which we think that our guests deserving them from us and we are investing the efforts and resources to improve them as much as we can.

We promise to keep the same level of service and we will be happy if you will visit our hotel again to experience the same level of service or even better than your previous stay.

Should you wish to come back and wishing any further questions or assistance, please let me know

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have just returned from our third consecutive holiday at this hotel. I cannot praise this hotel enough.

The position of the Sheraton in Soma Bay is unrivalled, as it has the house reef immediately infront of it. Other hotels in Soma Bay which are more expensive, do not have such an enviable position. The beach area is kept exceptionally clean and is peaceful and idyllic.

Accommodation at The Sheraton is of a very high standard. The rooms are tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean. The beds are very comfortable, with pillows and linen of the highest standard. There are plenty of white, fluffy bath towels and flannels, It is such details as these, that contribute to the general comfort and consideration that is evident everywhere here.

The food is of the highest standard and the catering staff are exceptional in their attentiveness, efficiency and friendliness. The local wines are extremely drinkable and good value.

The staff could not try any harder to please their guests and their outstanding professionalism and service greatly contribute to making this one of the best hotels we have stayed at.
There is a happy and enthusiastic feeling amongst the staff at the hotel, which permeates through the entire holiday, helping to make it a happy and enjoyable vacation. The manager deserves congratulating for achieving this standard of service and contentment amongst his loyal staff.

We would particularly like to praise the wonderful tennis coach, Ibrahim. He is one of the main reasons why we returned to the Sheraton initially because of his encouragement, friendliness and enthusiasm.

I think that the fact, that so many guests return to the same hotel again and again, is the best endorsement. It deserves to be awarded five stars because it really is an exceptional place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are all in a good position and nowhere is noisy. The sea views are beautiful, so definite...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewEllinas
Mahmoud F, Deputy Director of Guest Service at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear AndrewEllinas,

Thank you for your nice review and being a true loyal friend of our house

We are very pleased to hear from you after your departure and we are happy with all the nice comments you stated in your review.

We agree with you the points you stated are key elements to satisfy our guests especially our colleagues friendliness and service efficiency.

We are proud with performance of our colleagues because we believe at Sheraton Soma Bay that our guests deserve to innovate and working hard to reach the service that they expect.

We promise to save no efforts to please you whenever we can

Once again thank you for your high loyalty shown towards our resort and we remain at your service shall you need any assistance related to your future booking at our hotel

Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was probably great when first built, now it needs some restructuring or at least better maintenance, it also needs to improve the service.
Some of the rooms, not all rooms, still have good standards and confortable beds, the room cleaning service is good, but it is annoying to see the empty dishes from room service lay in the corridors for such a long time.
The common areas, for example the lobby, with broken chairs and broken coffe tables, are not up to 5 stars or Sheraton standars. It is sad because the structure could be really stunning.
The bay, the sea, the beach are very beautiful and generally clean, although beach beds and the area around the beach umbrellas should be cleaned better (clients also could use better manners and use ashtrays and garbage cans), it is not nice to see the area under the umbrellas often full of cigarette stubs and othe litter, like empty plastic bottles,
Even though the sea is quite beautiful, unfortunately the coral reef has seen better days, I would recommend going to other places in Egypt, if you want to see a reef worth it.
Quality of service is average, sometimes bad. This is particularly true for the restaurants and bars, For example there is nobody to greet you at the entrance of the main restaurant, you basically go in and find yourself a place, even at dinner. When a sort of seating service was organized, this created even more confusion, as it was poorly organized and precedences were not respected. Breakfast runs till late, 11 am, which is a great if you want to sleep in, most people however eat early and reserve a place on the beach with their towels before breakfast (I do not think this should be allowed). Dinner also is served until late and often has theme nights, but if you go in after 8.30, you can't find a lot worth eating. Quality of food is good to very good.
I went there April 2014, weather was perfect, warm and just a bit windy, some people found the sea a bit chilly to swim, but for me it was just the perfect water temperature. Beautiful sandy beach, no need to wear special shoes for corals, but definitely a sun lotion with high spf needed.
At the time I was there the clientele was a good mix of europeans and some locals, only a few russians.
No concern for safety issues at the time, even if it was just before a big election, I felt vey safe in the hotel, we even took a day trip to Luxor and no concern about safety there either.
As of now I would not particularly recommend this hotel, if they improved maintenance and service I probably would.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second or third floor, view is generally better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucy913
Dear Lucy 913,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort

Happy to hear about enjoying some of our hotel services and we are sorry if there were some of our services were not as you expected.

As your last stay was in April, I would like to withdraw your attention that the hotel started some remedy actions like improving the water supplying network in our east wing.

Also we have just finished the hotel lobby furniture maintenance.

Our colleagues in the concerned department s will consider all your comments related to them for any future improvement.
We believe at Sheraton Soma Bay that our guest comments are the best way to learn and improve our services which will impact our future guests.

Once again thank you for telling us how to satisfy you and wish to see you next time to experience the changes which have been done in the light of your comments.

Please let me know if you will decide to come back to arrange for your next holiday
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Never been to Sheraton soma bay before, we were a group of 10 (adults and kids), did our bookings through Internet. Reservations team accommodated to our requests with extreme professionalism, very friendly welcome and staff. Staff at the restaurant and beach are just amazing. The breakfast and dinner buffet are full of fresh varieties that suite everyone and all dietary requirements. Lovely staff who kept our table at the restaurant and lit candle lights! It was just amazing. I can keep on recommending it forever and ever.
I have to admit my previous experiences with Sheraton in Egypt were not pleasant but this just made it up for me!
One piece of advise for hotel management is to make the best use out of the kids club they have and make it more engaging for children. And another tip- animation staff. This is crucial to make the beach more lively for tourists. On a personal level I enjoyed the quiet beach which was relaxing.
Thanks for making out visit a new start with Sheraton Egypt. You rule!

Stayed June 2014
Mahmoud F, Deputy Director of Guest Service at Sheraton Soma Bay Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Dinagh82,

Thank you for your nice review and complements you stated towards our colleagues

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay after having the right picture about Sheraton Hotels service.

We will consider your comments regarding the activities for children and adults by reviewing our animation team programs which of course a learning opportunity we gained from your review.

We will be glad to welcome you again to enjoy the high level of service that Sheraton Hotels are providing it to our guests who deserve to do the best to please them.

Wish to be on contact with you whenever you will think to come back

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The only negative.....we had to leave!!!
This is our 10th, 11th, 12th....can't remember how many times we've been, and every time....it feels wonderful, like home to home! Dr. Franz and his team really make this hotel unique. The atmosphere is very special.....elegant, classy but comfortable. The staff are ALL very friendly and helpful! The mornings start with a breakfast for everyones taste....the choice is great! Next stop the beach...clean, comfortable, the walk to the snorkling reef is not too far, the beach bar always welcomes one with a smile and a cool drink!! At lunch time, the beach restaurant also has a good choice!!! There is entertainment if one wants but not pestered if one doesn't want to take part!
After a day on the beach....back to the comfort of a spacious room with a very luxurious bathroom. Then off to dinner......this is the highlight of the day! The welcome from the staff in the restaurant is amazing! The waiters are so friendly and always have time for a chat......the food, delicious from starters to dessert....Chef Omar and his team are really the best! Omar, we miss you!! Then a relaxed evening in one bar or another before returning to our room for a good nights sleep.....and this day in, day out, for us, a week long! Paradise!!
Thanks to everyone for making our week so enjoyable!!
Yes, we will come again and we hope soon!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Marina K,

Thank you for your great review and high rating to our hotel

We are pleased to know that your stay was as you expected from Sheraton about all the services you stated like the food, the hotel conditions and the treatment of our colleagues.

We wish to see you back soon at our hotel to enjoy the same level you experienced during your last stay at our hotel