“Good hotel”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Soma Bay
Cairo
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

First it is not inside soma bay that Egyptians know it is 5 more kilos after it :)
It is new hotel with good and clean rooms
I lost my mobile and the housekeeping found it :) I am really very thankful for them. And they refused to take any rewards
I was making my reservation from booking.com and the hotel gave me room with very bad view and I had to pay more to make upgrade but it is was only 100 pounds
As usual comment on movenpick the staff is helpful and polite but again never smile for Egyptians and I don't know why !!!!!
The food quality is good but with little varieties

Room Tip: Sea view or pool view !! Garden view verybad
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mohamed A
Mövenpick R, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Soma Bay, responded to this review, 15 August 2015

Yousry Ali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Loved this hotel, beautiful, well layed out, amazing pool and water features, great loving and smiling staff! We came as a group of 4 to learn kite surfing and the kite school which is part of the hotel was great place to learn. The rooms are great size and the beds were so comfortable fell asleep instantly, I would recommend this place to anyone it is great value, make sure you visit Mustafa in the bedouin tent at the end of the hotel by the beach he is a great guy who will make you amazing tea and shisha and just make you smile!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank fawad b

Reviewed 21 June 2014

5 nights on half board basis
Parking with sun shed, due to security obligation you have to stop and drop you luggage 15 meters away from main entrance, Check-in was fast, receptionist where helpful and co-operative, reception clean with marble wall and sun lighting, restaurant was cosy, clean and organized but lighting wasn't enough, breakfast and dinner where good along with service team, long beach but water wasn't good, they have 3 pools, rooms was clean and medium size with no view, pool side bathroom wasn't clean and with bad smell, animation team was friendly.

Room Tip: Go for pool room and avoid desert and sea view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Beautiful resort with a very nice beach front with great rooms , good food in the open buffet area, average in other restaurant outlet , service is average, rooms are amazing and ver confy where u get a great quality of sleep.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AliAwadi

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was traveling with my wife & 11 months baby along with some friends. I'll try to put as much details as possible:
If you're driving & coming from Hurghada,the hotel is not in Soma bay itself, so don't follow the signs of Soma bay, instead continue on the way to Safaga & you'll find signs for the hotel to guide.
Hotel is 15 minutes away from a big shopping mall in Hurghada that has a super market & a pharmacy, hotel itself has a pharmacy but I never saw it operating.
We arrived at 2 PM, my check in was pretty fast, my friends' check in was a little slow though, the reception staff were friendly & we were offered welcoming drinks.
Our room was a"classic" room with pool view & side sea view from the balcony, its view was really nice as the blue color of the pools is really stunning, room space is OK. We had a daily refill of a big bottle of water "Hayat" & the usual tea & Nescafe.
The staff over all are very friendly although I faced a very rude situation on our arrival day from the beach towel guy who advised he's out of clean towels although this was not true, I escalated this to the on-duty manager right away who apologized & promised that this will not happen again.
The beach is nice, you have to walk 20 or 30 meters to be able to swim, bring your snorkeling equipments as there are some corals that you can see.
Spending time by the pool is also enjoyable, with DJ music & the activities of the animation team. One of the best things in this hotel is their animation team, very active & at each time of the day you'll find them doing some activity.
There's a small stable at the left side of the beach that has some horses & a camel if you're interested to take a ride.
Breakfast & lunch buffets were good, not lots of variety but food quality was good.
The spa is awesome, spacious & smells very good, Sauna & steam are for free.
Hotel lobby is very well designed with lots of couches spread everywhere.
At the night usually after 20:30 there's usually a show like belly dancing, tanoura or a singer.
Overall & except for that rude incident on arrival day, we enjoyed our vacation & enjoye dthe premises.

Room Tip: Classic rooms have pool view & side sea view from the small balcony, standard rooms overlook at...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Moustafa_Hanafy
Mövenpick R, Manager at Movenpick Resort Soma Bay, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Mr. Moustafa_Hanafy,

On behalf of the entire Team, let us seize the opportunity to thank you for the review submitted.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated as it enables us to evaluate the facilities and services provided to our esteemed Clientele – certainly leading to improvements.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mövenpick Resort Soma Bay again in the future.

With Best Regards,

The Management
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The beach .. Shallow water till 20 mtrs where you meet lots of weeds on the ground .always . Food is always fresh .. No variety Isolated so you have to spend the whole night in the hotel .. The hotel facilities are enough to entertain you at night The "Orca" dive center is terrible!!!! May every one should try it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Heba A
Dear Ms. Heba,

With regards to the kind review submitted to TripAdvisor (and to our attention), we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the positive notes shared with the traveler community concerning your sojourn with us.

We, at Mövenpick Resort Soma Bay, save no effort in order to satisfy our Guests at all time.
Let us convey our deepest appreciation for the compliments you have exerted, and please rest assured that it will be passed to our Diving Center accordingly in recognition of their performance.

We - all - look forward to welcoming you at Mövenpick Resort Soma Bay in the nearest future.

Kind Regards,

The Management
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am reluctantly writing this review, as prior to visiting here, I had enjoyed an amazing 10 days along the Red Sea and don't want to remember the worst part.

Usually I book at small boutique hotels and B&Bs, because the people are friendlier and the places warmer, but my husband I decided to book this to try as there was a deal on booking.com and we don't know the Soma Bay area that well.

We had been traveling for 2 weeks in Gouna, Marsa Alam, Wadi Lahami area, and were on our way back to Cairo and my husband wanted to kite surf in Soma Bay. We arrived at the Movenpick at approximately 10pm, exhausted from our drive from Wadi Lahami. While my husband parked the car, I went to check in. The hotel staff at check in were incredibly welcoming and friendly and the experience was fine. I showed them a photocopy of our marriage certificate, as was necessary because my husband is Egyptian. This was fine.

Then my husband came in. Their attitude completely changed, which we both felt. He did not have his national ID, as he forgot it in Cairo, but had his driver's license. This had not been a problem at any other hotel. They were extremely rude to him and told him they needed his national ID.

We were at a loss, but luckily he had a photo on his phone of his ID, which he showed. Then they said okay, but that he would have to email it. His phone died at that moment, and they did not have a plug adapter, so he went out to the car to email it with his phone charging in the car. Additionally, he remembered that he sometimes has a photocopy of his ID, so he looked for one and found it. In the meantime, I was in the lobby and a group of staff were discussing us in Arabic, but my Arabic is poor and I couldn't understand. My husband returned saying he had emailed the photo, and also produced the copy of his national ID. The staff accused him that he had been witholding this copy from the beginning. Then they said they needed the original marriage certificate. Which we did not bring with us, because we didn't think it necessary (and up until this point it had not been), and in particular as it is a precious document that we do not travel with on beach holidays.

We asked them what we could do, and they told us we could not stay at their hotel. This was after 1 hour of fussing about with IDs, phone chargers, bringing out bags in, etc.

I was and remain incredibly outraged and disgusted at this behaviour and will never again stay at this hotel chain.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Steigenberger Makadi Hotel
Steigenberger Makadi Hotel
#1 of 30 in Makadi Bay
The Westin Soma Bay Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Movenpick Resort Soma Bay? Share your experiences!