“Bettered my expectations”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Bettered my expectations”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Just back from a short 5days stay at this beautiful, new, picturesque property. Frankly speaking, I was a bit concerned after reading some reviews here though I noted that the negative ones were in tiny minority. But let me tell you you will not be disappointed at all at this property considering all other factors most importantly the amount of money you spend here as compared to some other highly rated hotels on trip advisor.

First thing first, at check in, I hardly had to wait 30 minutes considering the fact that I knew in advance that I will reach at 11am and check in time is 2pm. We had two jacuzzi rooms and one family rooms. Was given all 3 at same time, in same block and what lovely rooms they were. Special thanks to Vandana for all the hard work considering it was a long walk from lobby to rooms. Some small hiccups at this juncture but all taken care of with a smile by Vandana and her team. Contrary to some reviews here staff was very courteous, smiling and willing to serve. Guys you have to show some love and affection to get more in return. We all are human.

Rooms were large, spacious, well done and good ambiance. Jacuzzi rooms are a treat for couples and kids. Our kids were using family rooms and they loved it. Room service, table cleaning was bit slow but bearable considering we were on a leisure trip. But food was good. I would suggest them to keep mini bar well stocked as if we want to use, we will pay!! House keeping was prompt and efficient..

Swimming pool was ok, would have loved to find a deeper one but still enjoyable. View from lobby and pool is breathtaking. Sugarcane bar at pool makes some nice cocktails though I had to miss my favourite beer brands. But those were not available even outside hotel too. Parvez at sugarcane was so nice. Boathouse was kids' delight. They pampered them with snorkelling lessons, kayaking etc. sorry don't remember names but thanks guys.

Coming to dining, first two nights went to Veda. Lovely food and excellent service. Staff here made some extra efforts for social needs of kids and ladies. Thanks to Nresh, Lobeen and Khushboo. Next two days tries Senso which had much wider choice but same good quality and taste. Special thanks to Kessen and Pam (hope am right). They even surprise me with a birthday cake and song!!

Breakfast at Senso was also delightful. Well spread and so many choices. But guys your tea was always not as hot as we like it....

Wanted to experience Yuj spa but couldn't. It was always full and I never bothered to book a day in advance as advised. My fault!

Special mention about Mr Asnaud EAM.. Ever smiling! Also Satyam at concierge for going that extra mile..

All in all, guys just compare what you pay at Oberoi et al and what you pay at Intercontinental.. Satisfaction per dollar or per Rupee will be certainly same or may be higher.. I would surely come back here.. And yes, there was a wedding during my stay too but I did not even realised until I was told about that by some staff member.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank sanjaybansal
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear Mr Sanjay Bansal,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding your family stay in our Resort.
It is with great pleasure that I have shared your feedback with our team members and specifically the one you mentioned.
It is our greatest satisfaction when we receive such fantastic message and I am very proud of our team.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This was a beautiful property, all-inclusive. It was amazingly picturesque. The presidential suite was unbelievable, huge and comfortable, spread over 2 floors with an unbeatable view. The food was good and service was good as well. Only a couple of criticisms:
1. The hotel does have a slight ant problem
2. They're a bit ridiculous about their dress code in the a la carte restaurants.
3. The a la carte restaurants don't have many vegetarian options.
4. WiFi was only available in the common hotel areas.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with small children or elderly people, request a room on the ground floor a...
Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank megagarwal
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Megagarwal,

It is with great pleasure that I have shared your comments regarding your family vacation with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed the facilities of our Presidential Suite.
Being in a tropical environment, we have a comprehensive pest control system in place. However we take on board your comments and will reinforce our daily controls.
We do have a smart casual dress code that applies to all our specialty restaurants for dinner time.
We are in the process of changing our menus in 2 of our specialty restaurants, i.e. the Noble House, our Asian fusion restaurant, that has been launched on the 1st of August and the Veda, our Indian restaurant as of the 15th of August and both include more vegetarian options.
Wifi is available in our Executive rooms (20), in our Presidential Suites (10) and in all public areas. Otherwise we still have the internet in all other guest rooms via an ethernet cable.

We hope to see you again soon with your family.

Best regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My family and I went to Mauritius during our winter holliday. We chose The Intercontinental Mauritius. Everything was very satisfying; from the start with a nice welcome, a well prepared room and the splendid service.

We had the all inclusive package, that really included all the facilities such as: all meals in five different restaurants, sports and water sports, state-of-the-art gym with instructor and evening entertainment.

The rooms are spacious and they are furnished in a contemporary way, but they still have the mauritian style. The restaurants are specialised in Medeterranean sea food, Indian dishes, International cuisine and Asian fusion. You find the best breakfast at Segala, try the Ambassador breakfast and you will return for sure.

Remember to reserve a table in advance for the restaurants, hence they quickly get fully booked. Something that may be annoying in the beginning if you don't know it.

A very positive point is that the beach never get crowded, and the hotel was 95 % full when we were there.

Finally, I do strongly recommend this hotel and I will return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Viktor D
Dear ViktorD,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your family vacation in our Resort a few months back.
We are delighted to read that you had a memorable time with your time as this is what we strive for on a daily basis.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again during your next winter in Sweden!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Nothing exiting, nothing too irritating- a very average experience. Except for the food, which I thought was far below Five Star. Serving a $13 single scotch in a plastic glass in their Coco Bar gives you an idea of their pricing and their taste.

Room Tip: All rooms are sea-facing and fine, if somewhat dark and sombre.
1 Thank tolmay
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear tolmay,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We are disappointed to read that we did not deliver on our promises to provide you with a Memorable experience.
We have shared your comments internally and will use them for our Continuous Quality Improvement plan.
I would like to inform you that for safety reasons, we are not allowed to use glasses outdoor, but only plastic ones.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again to deliver a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience.

Best regards,

UK, Mauritius
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed here for DH's birthday weekend on PC points.
Good resort let down by some staff. Check in and housekeeping good but front desk staff seem inexperienced.
Beach lovely but too rocky for swimming here. Lots of space and sun loungers well spaced - no sardines here. Lovely decking area overlooking sea with sunbeds.
One heated pool which can get busy and a pool by the deck - shallow though.
Good gym with fabulous views overlooking the sea and pool.
Room well furnished with complimentary tea and coffee, very comfy bed and pillows, large LCD TV and balcony overlooking sea and mountains. Complimentary water every day.
Lovely bathroom with Elemis toiletries and its own TV.
Mozzie mats on request - unusual for a Mauritian hotel.
Food and drink expensive as you would expect at a 5* hotel in Mauritius.
All in all not a bad weekend. DH got a cake but no sparkly wine.
Niggles were dealt with very quickly.

9 Thank bronia
Dear bronia,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your week end stay with us and for your loyalty to IHG.
We are glad you were able to enjoy DH birthday with us and enjoy the facilities of the hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for DH next birthday!

Kind regards,

India
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The resort is great. All the rooms technically face the resort but not an awesome view I would say. The beach is not that good here and the breakfast spread is I believe not upto the price they charge. Maritim, nearby has similar prices while better beach, breakfast and golf course. Though the hotel is new and fresh.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Chandan M
Dear Chandan M,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.
All our rooms are sea facing and we have a stretch of 600m of beach, providing shallow and safe swimming areas.
We offer 2 breakfast venues. Senso with an extensive buffet and Segala with an A la carte concept.
We have shared your comments internally as it helps us improving our services on a daily basis.

Pori, Finland

Presidential Suite – great
Beach – very good
Restaurants – meh
Location – not great
Nearby - Port Louis 15 minutes south, Grand Baie 25 minutes north, Bagatelle Mall 25 minutes south.

After a 25 hour journey from Finland, we drove in through the gate, parked up and walked up the driveway to reception; we were each given a cool towel to freshen up whilst the chap on reception fetched our papers and then showed to our room (1623).

This 13 night stay was a PriorityClub Points Break (a mere 5000 points per night!) so the room we were supposed to get should have been fairly standard, but with Platinum Ambassador status you are entitled to an upgrade if available... we were not expecting a Presidential Suite (rack rate €400 per night).

The resort has 10 apartment buildings, the Presidential Suites are on the top floors of each block. The suite was split over two floors and was surely in excess of 100 sq metres, perhaps 120 square metres?. The main floor has
- a lobby with a sofa, closets and chest of drawers
- a WC and sink / large mirror
- a kitchen with a sink/draining board, a kettle, microwave/grill, family sized fridge/freezer with some cool-drinks & tea making facilities
- the main living area with sofa, 4 easy chairs, bar and 3 barstools, dining table and 4 chairs, gigantic flatscreen TV (60" ?)
- a balcony overlooking the sea with two sun-loungers and a large day-bed.

The upper split-level overlooks the living room and has a great view out over the sea from the king size bed. The view would be even better if they cleaned the upper windows occasionally!
There are more closets and two large, private, walled rooftop terraces
- first terrace with second with sofas & sunbeds, a table and 4 chairs is a nice place for breakfast.
- the second terrace with sunbeds and a Jacuzzi to unwind in after a hard day of tourism / sunbathing / snorkelling :-)
Both upper terraces have spectacular ocean views, but only when you are standing up.

Bed, nice and comfortable, the duvet was too small, pillows a bit soft. The toiletries were good, the aircon very effective. Sofa in the living room was a bit low and not very comfortable.

The WiFi is slow – it’s Mauritius and quite remote, so understandable. I got 100-150 kbps with speedtest.net early evening. WiFi was free in our suite, but the prices being charged looked incredibly high. Had it not been free for us, I would not have paid the prices they were asking.

Others have already noted the problems with the short range of the Digi-box remote control, ours had a clearly broken sensor cable. Many of the TV functions don’t work, for messages I was variously Mr Nair and Mr Gupta :-/ that is sub-standard for a 5*. I gave up with the digibox in the living room. Fortunately, the living room TV had a side HDMI to attach your PC/tablet so bring a suitable HDMI cable as the TV channel selection is pretty ropey.

There were some minor problems, a loose shaving mirror, an unwanted creepy crawly which I splatted, broken bulbs which were repaired after asking, but overall the room was pretty good.

The hotel’s beach is nice & long, spectacular views of the mountains and Port Louis to your left (the south). Sun loungers are nicely spaced in pairs every 5-10m with their own sunshade. The sand is pretty coarse with a lot of volcanic grit and coral, but staff rake the main parts of the beach and make an effort to remove the larger pieces. Still, for going in the water, I recommend a pair of snorkeling shoes / water shoes, you can get cheapo pairs for around 200 rupees.

The man-made island infront of the beach offers protection from up to 6 foot waves and the swimming area immediately infront of the beach is usually lovely and still, perfect for shallow snorkeling, there’s a fair number of places around the rocks that have tropical fish I saw perhaps 10 different species, crabs, sea cucumbers, eels, urcheons, and some fish species which fishermen were landing to the beach appeared to be purchased by the hotel were apparently snapper.

The gym / fitness centre is modest sized, e.g. compared to the IC in Malta, but good, use the same entrance as the Spa, the sea view from the fitness machines is pretty spectacular.

Restaurants, there are a number of places to eat at the resort … in order in which we tried them…

- Noble House, Asian “fusion” had a poor choice for vegetarians, (surprising when the hotel is frequented by so many Indians) the only dish which sounded appetizing… I was told after 10 minutes that they have no broccoli and it will be cauliflower based, ok? No, not OK, I love broccoli, I hate cauliflower! I changed to something which was an arty pseudo-maki roll, made with a rice tortilla, wouldn’t have fed a budgie on a starvation diet. An example of a chef who clearly hasn’t tasted what’s he’s making. I left hungry.

- Veda, Indian restaurant, the food here was pretty good, the chef came out to talk with us, but sadly was running a set menu with a very limited choice of dishes. Particularly annoying if like me you would never eat a 4 course meal, and you pay for a course or in this case courses which you haven't taken (I didn’t take the soup or the dessert).

Had there been an a-la-carte, we would have eaten there every few days, maybe four or five times, as it was we ate there once. Their loss.

- Senso, the main breakfast area which we tried just once as reviews weren't very positive, there was a huge choice of dishes, but you have to share the pastries and the cereals with sparrows and the fresh fruit with clouds of fruit flies – which is ever so slightly... well... revolting. At the least there should be appropriate mesh lids to keep the birds out of the croissant baskets instead of loosely draped napkins and the same for the fruit instead of cling-film. Sub-standard.

Palms – is beachside and has cocktails – my wife really liked the coconut smash, good service from the lad who brings your drinks. Very good.

Location: there is little in Balaclava around the hotel complex except other hotel complexes. The nearest shops are at Arsenal 5 km back towards Port Louis, and it really isn't the sort of place you want to spend time: there are just outlet shops selling fake designer gear. Paul Smith would be turning in his grave, if he was dead.

If you are willing to drive, hire a car and then you’ll have 3 more choices.

- Bagatelle Mall of Mauritius, 25 minutes south from the hotel (don’t go at rush hour), on the south side of Port Louis. The Chinese restaurant there “Xia” was sooo much better than Noble House. Amongst the steakhouses, & grills, Indian and burger joints, there’s also an Ocean Basket (South African chain) and a Nando’s (another chain from RSA) which are a bit “cookie cutter”, but both do great food. 9/10
- Le Caudan waterfront in Port Louis, about 15 minutes south of the hotel 5/10
- Grand Baie – 25 minutes north of the Intercontinental in the opposite direction from Port Louis 7/10

It’s hard to be too critical of the hotel, it was essentially free for us, we had the best category of room and loved the holiday, so it has to be at least a 9/10 for us.

Room Tip: We can only go by the standard of a presidential suite (1623), as Ferris said ... "It is so cho...
3 Thank mhbarker
Dear mhbarker,

Thank you for your very exhaustive feedback and your loyalty to InterContinental Hotels Group.
We are delighted that you could redeem your points and still get upgraded to one of our Presidential Suites.
We would like to inform you that we have just changed our A la carte Menu in the Noble House restaurant on the 1st of August with a larger variety of vegetarian dishes.
Moreover we ran an Indian Festival with set menus showcasing different regions of India until mid August when the new A la carte will be launched. Our Executive chef is always willing to prepare something special should you wish.
We are also reviewing technical solutions to prevent birds from coming into the buffet area.
Our IT Manager is currently reviewing the guest name issue you mentioned in your feedback and we should be able to correct it quite easily.

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!