“Lovely Stay!!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay!!”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed here for 4 days in March '13.

Had checked in late around 10 pm and as it was closing time for their dinner buffet, had to go directly to the restaurant after Welcome drink.

They used to have a theme after dinner every night. For the time I was there, they had an Arabian night, a Piano bar, a fashion show and Live singing. The DJ was alright but could have been better.

Was explained about the various facilities at the resort before being led to room. I quite liked the room with terrace. Well laid out and spacious with a nice ocean view and manicured lawns.

The rest of my stay was spent lazing at the swimming pool and beach. They provide beach towels which you can get changed everyday. The bar at the swimming pool used to play some good numbers. Had rented a scooter from within the resort's premises one day and went for a drive around Mauritius. They also provide some activities like glassboat ride, snorkelling, water-ski, etc. free of charge.

The service seemed laid-back and not of 5 star standard but maybe that's how things are there. Didn't bother me much as the property had made a lovely impression on me.

This resort was teeming with Indian honeymoon couples and French tourists. Overall, I had a wonderful time there and would love to go back some day again!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ricky_NewDelhi_India
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Ricky_NewDelhi_India,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I am glad to read that overall you had a wonderful time in Mauritius and that you will be back soon!

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Had amazing 7 days. The hotel was awesome, the facilities, the restaurants, the ambiance, the food spread, everything much better than expectation. They also organized events like bollywood night, fashion show, cocktail evening and candle light dinners. Couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon!!!

But... there were hiccups which cannot be tolerated for a 4.5 star hotel. We didn't get hot water the day we reached. We called the service guy and he wasted gallons and gallons of water to get us some hot water.
We saw 2 cockroaches in our room on the third night and they were big. During, my honeymoon I am running after cockroaches so that they do not bother us for rest of the night.
There was problem with the power in the room more than couple of times. And on the fourth night we stayed more than half an hour in dark and without AC, it was so suffocating and the technician didn't arrive immediately even after multiple calls. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mit B
Dear Mit B,

First of all congratulations for your recent wedding and thank you for choosing to celebrate your Honeymoon with us. I am delighted to read that we delivered a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience to you and your wife.
Being in a tropical island, we have implemented a comprehensive pest control system. However it appears it was not fully efficient in your case on one occasion.
All our rooms are inspected on a regular basis by our Engineering team. However it looks like you have been facing a few technical issues that could have been avoided. Hot water should come quickly. However I would like to reassure you concerning the wasted water as we do run a responsible business and recycle the water for our gardens. So water was not lost at the end of day!
For all the technical issues encountered, I would like to present on behalf of the whole team our most sincere apologies.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your 1st wedding anniversary or baby!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The check-in was very well organised and we've been introduced to the hotel facilities before someone brought us into our room. We#ve got an upgrade to a business room with wifi and a fruit platter, very nice. The rooms were not very huge, but very nicely designed, modern, very clean - all you need! The presentation was just good , incl. some animals build out of towels on our beds, very romantic.
They provide maps of the hotel, which helps with orientation.
The pool is alright, however i found it not so much romantic there, as there were so many small children all around. A child-free area would have been nice.
Unfortunately it is almost not possible to swim in the sea as there are too many dead coralls and rocks. Bring in any case some water shoes with you.
The food is fantastic (but also very expensive). We had a rental car and were able to leave the hotel for dinner which saved us much much money!

Dear Milkyway85,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
It has been a pleasure to have you staying with us and I am delighted to read that you had a great time altogether thanks to your upgraded room and the hotel facilities.
For those who want a little bit more privacy, we have our South pool next to the Boat House as indeed this one is a "deep" pool where children normally do not go.
As for swimming in the sea, we organize glass bottom boat trips twice a day to go beyond the reef with your snorkeling gear so that you can discover the coral reef and swim at ease.

I trust you brought some fond memories from your trip to Mauritius and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again!

Best regards,

Fornebu, Norway
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Just returned from 10 wonderful days at Intercontinental.

The propety of the hotel is simply wonderful, it has a really nice beach which is cleaned for coral rubble. It is never crowded and look pristine and wonderful with its mature vegetation overlooking the Turtle Bay. It has a house reef which is ok. The lobby is large and open with a nice view over the beach.

We were upgraded to Jacuzzi Suite (due to Ambassador status), which has an extra spacious terrace and of course a nice jacuzzi. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Sea view is limited, but nevertheless nice with lush vegetation.

Service in the hotel is layback (which is usual in Mauritius) but professional and genuine in other terms. The staff of the hotel are very polite in general, and we had only good experience with them all. They all speak English, French, Hindi and Creole!

The most important person to mention is the hotel manager Arnaud, I have never met a more dedicated manager at any hotel! He was simply everywhere to secure that the guests had a wonderful stay at the hotel. He really stood out making our stay even more special.

The food in the restaurants is of high standard. The best restaurant is in our opinion "Noble House" serving the best dessert we have had in a long time: Try the chocolate sushi!!
Price of food and beverage at the resort is at a decent level. Only a bit irritating that they only serve 0,35L beverage, so you sometimes have to order often in the tropical heat.
The price for a local beer is about 200 rupees (Phoenix or Stag) or 300 rupees for international.
For those of you that drink a lot of beer, I can recommend buying packs of 6 beers (+ complimentary sandwiches/ canapees) then it is much cheaper ;) But this was not one of those party holidays for us.

Room Tip: South if you wish picturescene mountains, or North if you wish to stay closer to lobby, bars and restaurants.

Free WI-FI in all bars/ restaurants.

The Balaclava area is a nice 5 and 5+ star resort area, I would say that this resort gives you most for the buck!

I would definately recommend this hotel, and it will also be considered for out next stay on Mauritius.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vegard H
Dear Vegard H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It has been a real pleasure meeting both of you and discussing with you on Mauritius, Hospitality and many more subjects!
I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic experience and will come back!

I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Mumbai
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We had visited Mauritius for our Honeymoon. Although the resort and location were excellent, the Attitude of the Front Office Staff Was really horrible and nowhere close to the standards of other Intercontinental hotels. The Room Service were always delayed (1 to 1.5 hrs wait for an order) and the hotel was always out of stock on basic amenities. We also had to follow up multiple times for any requests we had placed to the room service.

The front office staff was not at all aware of any facilities or services. Every time we had approached the reception with any query, we always got a different and confused answer.

The Only PRO about the hotel was the Food and beverage Section.

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean View on Ground Floor Near Boat-House
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Nish83,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback regarding your Honeymoon in our Resort.
First of all, on behalf of all our team members, I would like to present our apologies for not delivering the service you were expecting.
I have shared your comments regarding the lack of follow up and attentiveness of our team members especially at front desk, housekeeping and room service with their respective Senior Managers as indeed this is not acceptable.
I am glad to read that at least you enjoyed our bars and restaurants and brought some nice memories of your Honeymoon in Mauritius.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again to provide you with a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience.

Pune, India
Reviewed 14 March 2013

1) Room service is the worst, hotel is big and they do not have enough staff to manage the hotel.
2) Rooms are also not managed properly, bathroom fittings were broken, room had lot of ants.
3) Location of the rooms are good.
4) The room service guys suggested to go and have food in restaurant because they were not able to serve hot food in room,(Excuse room is far away from restaurant)
5) I had asked for first aid kit it took them 30min to get it. Nobody was even picking up the emergency number. If it was an real emergency than god knows what would have happened.
6) I had even spoken to Asst. Gen Manager regarding the issues but no change.
7) Only good part was the food and SPA. The restaurant managers and chef's are really co-operative and they specially prepared Jain Food for us daily. I appreciate the chef's(Vijay(Veda Restaurant) and Vedish(Noble House Restaurant)) effort and thank them for such wonderful food.
8) Last and most important this hotel is not even in the best 25 Mauritian hotel's and i am talking about the local Mauritius ratings and not any particular website.

So if somebody wants to go to this hotel the only reason would be food.

Room Tip: Rooms near boat house would be good for honeymooners are the beach is good at that point and also sw...
1 Thank aditya_mnyl
Dear aditya_mnyl,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for choosing to stay with us for your Honeymoon.
I remember we met and discussed the points listed in your post and I would like to present my sincere apologies if you did not notice any change as we did discuss it the next morning with all our Senior Managers.
I will reinforce the message with all of them to make sure that proper follow up is done.
However I am delighted to read that our Indian (Vijay) and Asian Fusion (Vedish) Chefs made the difference for you.
I trust you brought some fond memories home and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future to show you the real InterContinental Hospitality.

Best regards,

Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed 4 March 2013

GOOD's
1) Excellent Rooms with all modern amenities. We liked the TV in the bathroom.
2) Nice Food at the Senso Restaurant especially for Veggies..
3) Nice honeymoon room decoration during check in..
4) Stunning candle light dinner by the beach.
5) Helpful Staff..
6) Nice SPA treatment (Although the Fire Alarm drill were more than a nuisance)
7) Stunning view of the ocean from the Private Beach
8) Tour guides (Exotic Dreams) were very warm and friendly..
9) Friendly Guest Relations Managers and front office managers..
10) Giant Lobby..

BAD's
1) Had food at Veda's just once..but did not like it..Surprisingly, Senso was much better
2) Menu at Senso for breakfast was more or less the same every day..Especially for Veggies.
3) Hefty Charges for 1 Litre of Mineral water.. No concept of Tap water..
4) Cannot walk bare foot on beach as the sand pricks the foot..
5) No Life jackets provided for Glass bottom boat ride which is very risky..
6) We waited in the lobby from 11 AM to 2 PM in the HOT lobby for check in.. Something should be done for incoming guests who are already tired after their long journey in flights...The lobby should have some sort of air conditioning..
7) Poor Wi-fi connectivity even in the Lobby..
8) The Seat in Coach facility provided by the hotel were not up to the mark. AC's did not work in some of the coaches. It was too congested in some of the trips..
9) The TV in the room should have more indian channels.. Currently, only 2 are available. Also the range of remote control is poor. Cannot operate it from bed.
10) The concept of booking (Vedas, complimentary activities like spa water sports) should be eliminated.. Many couples who travelled with us forgot to book at vedas and could not get a chance to dine at their preferred restaurant..
11) Located in a secluded place... You need to hire a cab to go out of the hotel which would cost you a hefty amount..
12) One cannot view the Oceans/sea from their room balconies at all.. The trees block all the views.. even tried this from the second floor..I am not too sure what could be done as a workaround to this problem but certainly, unobstructed ocean view would be a cherry on top of a cake...

My Verdict: Go for it.. Every property will have some pros and cons..

Room Tip: Select rooms close to the lobby.. Select rooms beginning with the series "15" (Eg: 1512)
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear DJROCKS16,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your constructive feedback with us. As you rightly said, we can always improve and we will!
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities of your room, your Honeymoon package inclusions and the selection of veg food in Senso.
I am sorry to read that you did not like the food served in our Indian Restaurant Veda as most of the time we get great feedback. Should you have further details, please feel free to contact the hotel so that I can forward it to our Indian Chef to fine tune his menus.
We are currently setting up the WiFi in the whole resort and it will be operational by the end of March. This should make it more stable and robust.
We have had 2 Cyclonic alerts in Jan / Feb and have been working hard to resand the beach and put it back to normal shape. Now that the Cyclonic season is over we will organize another resanding to make it even nicer and softer!
I will review your comments regarding the life jackets for the glass bottom boat as they are definitely provided in the boat. I will find out why it was not explained and offered to you.
As you have seen our Lobby is massive and open. Therefore we are not able to put A/C in there. We will review with our Chief Engineer what other options we can work on.
We have put in place bookings system to avoid confusion and frustration for the guests. As we have limited seat / space, we cannot leave it as 1st come 1st serve. The fairess way was to implement a reservation system to allow each and every one to have a chance to go and taste our different restaurants and facilities.
We are constantly trimming our Coconut trees to try and keep the views as clear as possible.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again in the near future so that you can see the improvement put in place thanks to your feedback.

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,414 reviews
Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!