“Ideal for secluded, relaxing stay and for families” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort

InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Mumbai
“Ideal for secluded, relaxing stay and for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

We have been staying here for the past four days and checking out tomorrow - has been time very well spent indeed and wish we (my pregnant wife and I) could extend our stay in ICH and Mauritius for some more time. My wife found it very relaxing - the main reason for our visit. One of my nicer vacations, the hotel offers a host of activities thru out the day - we enjoyed the Aqua Gym a lot (Alan made it fun). The rooms are spacious, most have a view of the ocean and easy access to the pools. Only thing we did not like was that the white sandy beach we associate with Mauritius was missing in front of the hotel - but the lovely crescent shaped island made up for it. Nashreen was another of the staff who was super helpful!! We hope to be back soon - a bientot, on esperons!

4 Thank drbalajiprasad
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear drbalajiprasad,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us while still in the Resort.
I am delighted to read that you and your wife had a relaxing time, which is exactly what you need before having a baby. Trust me it is my 2nd one!!!
I am thrilled to find out that some of our colleagues made Aquagym even fun for you! I will make sure both Alan and Nashreen get complimented for the exceptional & personalized service delivered.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dammam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just I would like to sharing my experience @ intercontinental & to extend my appreciation to the reception concierge team (Kevin, Noor Aldin, Arun) for their help, advising & welcome. They also organized a good trip for me to private island. Thank you so much & thank you intercontinental. you are always my choice.
The hotel was nice and beautiful you can hear the big waves of indian ocean through your room

Room Tip: Rooms near to the reception are more noisier, Bar included with the reception
1 Thank Abu_Lama
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Dear Abu_Lama,

What a pleasure to read your comments about our Concierge team that was able to deliver an In the Know experience to you!
I will make sure I share your wonderful feedback with them!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Greater Noida, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This is not at all value for money hotel.. no 4.5 star standards... They promise lot of freebies to honeymoon couples but when u approch them to avail the same lot of terms and conditions are attached...

extremely unhygenic.. On the very first night of our stay (honeymoon trip) there were cockroaches all over in our room. Since the hotel was 100% occupied we were not shifted and they registered our request to change the room. Next day without any intimation our luggage was packed, kept in luggage room and our room was issued to another guest.. Had to struggle a lot to find our luggage as nobody at the front office was aware abt this. BREACH OF PRIVACY BY HOTEL STAFF. WE WERE NOT EVEN INFORMED THAT WE WERE GOING TO BE SHIFTED AND ON THE TOP OF IT FRONT DESK STAFF WERE NOT INFORMED. Doesnt make any differnce even if u your a priority club member... no member privileges were extended to us.. extremely discourteous staff.. lot of discrimination.. could literally see the difference in approaches on how they were indiffernt to the concerns/ issues raised by Indian National guests vis-a-vis Non-Indian Guests!!!! Very disappointed

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ritu_Rawat
Dear Ritu_Rawat,

Thank you for taking the time to share one more time your experience with us.
Indeed you already replied to our online guest satisfaction questionnaire a week back.
On behalf of the whole team in Mauritius, I would like to present our sincere apologies for not delivering the quality of service you were expecting.
Being in a tropical island, we have implemented a comprehensive pest control. However it appears it was not efficient in your room.
There has been some communication gap between our services as they definitely should have inform you prior to moving your bags.
However I would like to stress the fact that we treat all our guests the same. Mauritius is a melting pot of various religions, ethnies and origins and all live in harmony.

Best regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed for 6 days at the Intercontinel hotel and we had a fantastic time. The room is really spacious with a kingsize bed, a wonderful bathroom and ocean view. The staff is friendly but not everyone speaks very good English but that was not a big problem. The beach is great and very good for relaxing in the sun or at the pool. Don't expect much if you want to go snorkling because there is not so much to see at this beach besides a few cute fishes.The food was overall good, don't expect any luxury food but it was fine. Two times we had dinner on the beach which was lovely. Luckely the weather was very good during our stay. The spa at the hotel is nice, we had a full body massage.
Wifi connection at the lobby was good.
We made 1 trip to Grand Baie during our stay but that was disapointing. Grand Baie is busy and the people there do not speak English very well and the shops were also a bit disapointing.
When we ever go back to Mauritius we will go to this hotel again. We had a lovely and relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean view.
Dear G L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us thanks to the friendliness of our people, the special evenings on the beach and our relaxing beach.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon in Mauritius!

Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

Having been in the InterContinental Resort Mauritius for one week I have to commend the resort for outstanding aspects concerning my stay there: an attentive reception, a wonderful room (where admittedly it probably helps to be a long time member of the group's free customer relations program called Priority Club) and a perfect resort with, believe it or not, 4 different theme restaurants in which the half board packages are mostly credited in a very generous way unknown to me from other places.
The main breakfast and buffet diner hall could be a touch brighter and/or with more attractive interior design but, again, very good buffet food and a dedicated staff make you still feel comfortable.
Special highlights in the resort's evening entertainment are the huge open air party buffet diners in an attractive on-the-beach atmosphere - heaps of work before and after the event for the staff...
The internet (WIFI with a router in my room) worked well - different from many other expensive hotels worldwide where the rates are sometimes ridiculous and sadly the WIFI reception is, too...
Management is always present, attentive, charming and thus also provides a good host and hospitality model to their staff. So alltogether a very nice place run with much professionalism and dedication from everybody involved, where you feel appreciated and all that in a wonderful resort ambience.

Room Tip: Depends on your taste: near the pool rooms are a bit louder and the remote ones are remote, of cours...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Easy_Flying
Dear Easy_Flying,

First of all I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our Brands and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a wonderful feedback.
I am delighted to read you had such a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience with us thanks to the attentiveness of our staff, quality of our facilities, variety and quality of food served in our 4 restaurants.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Mauritius in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed here for 4 days in March '13.

Had checked in late around 10 pm and as it was closing time for their dinner buffet, had to go directly to the restaurant after Welcome drink.

They used to have a theme after dinner every night. For the time I was there, they had an Arabian night, a Piano bar, a fashion show and Live singing. The DJ was alright but could have been better.

Was explained about the various facilities at the resort before being led to room. I quite liked the room with terrace. Well laid out and spacious with a nice ocean view and manicured lawns.

The rest of my stay was spent lazing at the swimming pool and beach. They provide beach towels which you can get changed everyday. The bar at the swimming pool used to play some good numbers. Had rented a scooter from within the resort's premises one day and went for a drive around Mauritius. They also provide some activities like glassboat ride, snorkelling, water-ski, etc. free of charge.

The service seemed laid-back and not of 5 star standard but maybe that's how things are there. Didn't bother me much as the property had made a lovely impression on me.

This resort was teeming with Indian honeymoon couples and French tourists. Overall, I had a wonderful time there and would love to go back some day again!!

1 Thank Ricky_NewDelhi_India
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Ricky_NewDelhi_India,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I am glad to read that overall you had a wonderful time in Mauritius and that you will be back soon!

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,

Pune, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Had amazing 7 days. The hotel was awesome, the facilities, the restaurants, the ambiance, the food spread, everything much better than expectation. They also organized events like bollywood night, fashion show, cocktail evening and candle light dinners. Couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon!!!

But... there were hiccups which cannot be tolerated for a 4.5 star hotel. We didn't get hot water the day we reached. We called the service guy and he wasted gallons and gallons of water to get us some hot water.
We saw 2 cockroaches in our room on the third night and they were big. During, my honeymoon I am running after cockroaches so that they do not bother us for rest of the night.
There was problem with the power in the room more than couple of times. And on the fourth night we stayed more than half an hour in dark and without AC, it was so suffocating and the technician didn't arrive immediately even after multiple calls. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mit B
Dear Mit B,

First of all congratulations for your recent wedding and thank you for choosing to celebrate your Honeymoon with us. I am delighted to read that we delivered a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience to you and your wife.
Being in a tropical island, we have implemented a comprehensive pest control system. However it appears it was not fully efficient in your case on one occasion.
All our rooms are inspected on a regular basis by our Engineering team. However it looks like you have been facing a few technical issues that could have been avoided. Hot water should come quickly. However I would like to reassure you concerning the wasted water as we do run a responsible business and recycle the water for our gardens. So water was not lost at the end of day!
For all the technical issues encountered, I would like to present on behalf of the whole team our most sincere apologies.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your 1st wedding anniversary or baby!

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,380 reviews
The Ravenala Attitude
The Ravenala Attitude
#4 of 5 in Balaclava

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!