“5x Rating for a 5* Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort

InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Perth, Australia
“5x Rating for a 5* Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Dear Mr Arnaud,
From the bottom of our hearts myself and my partner would like to Thank you for everything you did for us during our stay,
All the Staff & Team at Intercontinental Mauritius made our holiday the most amazing experience for us and created memories that we will keep with us forever.

From the moment we arrived at your beautiful hotel we were absolutely amazed with the beauty of not only the hotel, the scenery but also the genuineness from all the staff we encountered.
Mr Cedric was the first to greet us and I can honestly say I have never met such an amazing staff member at any hotel we have ever stayed at, we were almost in tears of happiness when he was showing us around the ‘Presidential Suite’..
From the moment we walked into the suite we were overwhelmed with how perfect every little detail of the room was. My partner was particularly chuffed with the welcome note on our tv’s.
After showing us the entry/lounge downstairs we proceeded upstairs to the Bedroom where we were greeted with two beautiful swans on the bed with flower petals. Breathtaking.
Mr Cedric then proceeded to show us the balcony which overlooked the bay and hotel grounds, then the bathroom with the awesome bath, we couldn’t believe how beautiful this room was, we felt like royalty!,
When we said we couldn’t believe the room was ours to stay in he replied “you haven’t seen anything yet”, and he was absolutely right we hadn’t seen anything yet!
He then proceeded to show us the balcony number 3! Which included our own private terrace complete with our own outdoor Jacuzzi!. We couldn’t wait to relax in it.
Mr Cedric was an outstanding staff member and He was always there for us whenever we needed information or had a question to ask, he helped us with absolute professionalism and courtesy, and definitely one of the reasons we will be coming back.

How can I forget Mr Jay, Mr Jay was absolutely amazing and gave us that 5* experience we were hoping for.
From the moment we saw the swans on our bed we knew we were going to have an outstanding holiday staying at your hotel.
Every afternoon from leaving the hotel we were greeted back to where we felt at home not only with an immaculately clean room but also with a beautiful creative romantic bed layout, Night 1#- Swans, Night 2# Elephants, Night 3# Rabbits, and on the last night we were greeted with the most romantic bed layout yet, a beautiful love heart shaped flower arrangement and a lovely little note Mr. Jay wrote us. Hopefully upon our return Mr Jay will be looking after us again.

Mr Esnault you have a very dedicated team who all helped us out during our stay,
From Mr Cedric to Mr Jay, the staff at the concierge desk, all the staff who greeted us in the hallways, all the staff at the restaurants, the boatshed staff who took us on a awesome glass bottom boat ride, the waiters who kept our drinks flowing while we were relaxing on the beach or in the pools, we will definitely be coming back.
You all made us feel at home and made our 8Year anniversary holiday one we will remember always.
A thousand Thankyou’s!(Also we got engaged during out stay, my partner proposed on the beach next to segala :) most romantic beach proposal :) ) so we will remember your hotel forever.

We look forward to saving for our next holiday and staying at your hotel.

1 Thank Therese C
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Therese C,

First of all I would like to apologize for the delay in replying to your feedback.
Indeed I replied a week back but for some reasons it did not get uploaded on Trip Advisor. Strange things happen sometimes with Internet!!!

Anyway I would like on behalf of the whole team in Mauritius to thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted to find out that you had a wonderful time with us thanks to the friendliness of our people and most specifically Cedric and Jay.

We all look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Amersham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just spent a week in pure paradise, . The hotel has the wow factor, and the staff are out of this world!! really felt special, food was amazing something for everyone. Rooms are luxury and fully cleaned everyday.As I'm disabled they gave us a two roomed suite on the ground floor, so I had easy access to the decking and pool area in a wheelchair. The staff were particularly helpful to me and frequently made sure everything was OK, and if I wanted anything. Mr Arnaud Esnault, the manager went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable, and I can honestly say, I couldn't have been treated better if I had been the Governor of Mauritius.
The one negative point, I was surprised the Hotel has no elevators to access the rooms or foyer, OK if you're young and fit, good exercise. So of benefit to help lose the weight you put on overindulging.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank John A
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear John A,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It was a true pleasure meeting you and Gilles.
I am delighted to read that you had such a memorable moment in Mauritius thanks to the friendliness and attentiveness of all our colleagues.

We all look forward to welcoming you again next year!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week in pure paridise, all inclusive loved it. The hotel has the wow factor, and the staff are out of this world!! really felt special, food was amazing something for everyone. Rooms are luxury and fully cleaned everyday. Bar service is first class Steeven yes with two e's was totally amazing looked after us everyday. The staff really make you feel special, they are really genuine caring people. We go away very regularly and usually I have something bad to add to my review. But this is the first time I can't think of anything bad! Big thanks to Shane for looking after us to!! #seeyouallnextyear

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank steve1south
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Dear steve1south,

A Big thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us.
I am delighted to read that our people made the difference and especially Steeven from our Bar team and Shane, our Director of Sales and Marketing!

We all look forward to welcoming you again next year!

Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I stayed in this place from 14-May-2013 till 20-May-2013 during my honeymoon in Mauritius. Overall, the hotel experience was very good. The staff are friendly, and the hotel itself has a vast beach with activities for all ages. The room was comfortable and the food options are decent. While they have 4 restaurants inside. the restaurant named Senso offers buffet spread for breakfast and dinner. They usually have some events planned out with dinner, which makes it livelier.

I really expected the hotel to offer a free internet service in the room, for the price paid by us, but unfortunately this was not the case. Also, if you are booking rooms with terrace jacuzzi, please note that these kind of rooms typically dont have a great view of the sea. So, you might want to decide first on what is more important for you- An ocean view or the Jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Not all ocean facing rooms with terrace jacuzzi, actually have the ocean view. There are lot of tree...
1 Thank Chandrashekar S
Dear Chandrashekar S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am glad to read that overall you had a great Honeymoon with us thanks to the quality of our facilities and the friendliness of our staff.
Kindly be informed that we just installed the WiFi throughout the Resort and that WiFi is free of charge in all public areas.
Moreover as of July all Gold and Platinum IHG Rewards Club Members (IHG Loyalty Program) will receive free Internet during their stay as part of their benefits. This will be extended to all members as of 2014 so please join the Club!!!

All our rooms are sea facing. We have started a trimming program to enhance the views from our guest rooms. Our Gardeners are currently trimming all coconut trees and it will take some time before the whole Resort is covered.

Surinam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The staff was very accommodating and polite while at the same time I would have liked someone asking me if I would have some more tea or coffee. Food was awesome if you like Asiatic food. Bath room was smelly (cleaning staff came in quickly and tried to resolve but solution was short lived). The individual terrace furniture and generally external furniture not well maintained and cleaned. Cats kept coming in and out of the Senso restaurant, watching you eat, frightened my daughter when one somehow touched with her feet while passing under our table during breakfast - forced us to change table. One manager told me that they cannot do anything about that as some other customers might get upset if cats are ousted from a restaurant! My daughter saw one of these animals licking left behind plates. Observed Indian tourists getting disgusted by these cats and changing tables whereas Europian types did not seem to find this upsetting.
In general quite good quality/price ratio. Would recommend stay for Asiatic tourists for the price, the type of food and the friendliness of the staff - surely above mentioned things will soon get improved.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Audie200
Dear Audie200,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the quality of food and the friendliness of our staff.
I have well noted your point regarding the tea / coffee refill and have already passed the message to our Food & Beverage Manager to retrain his staff and make sure the Restaurant Manager is monitoring.
As for the cats, we have just started a partnership with PAWS, local association that will assist us in addressing this issue. Basically we will catch the existing cats, get them sterilized by PAWS and bring them back to the Resort. We are currently building a feeding station next to our Boathouse to gather the cats over there instead of inside the restaurant. We will politely ask our guests not to feed the animals in the restaurants but directly at the feeding station.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Intercontinental Mauritius
This is described as a 5 star resort. But it really is more like a 3.5 or 4 star. Upon arrival was shown to the room the property is huge it is a long walk to get from one place to another. Everything is spread out. I was shown to the room and told I have free wifi. I was disappointed as this is not the case. I was given room 1602 which has no wifi and no phone network. When complained they told me it is down and try later. I kept trying but none available. You cant leave food out as the room have ants and a staff member even admitted that theres ants. When i visited there was an Indian Wedding and music was playing until 04:30 in the morning was told by reception the party would be over at 02:00 it never did the party was on the beach so no matter where in hotel you go you can hear the music. These functions are regular. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere nothing nearby. I only used the restaurant for breakfast which was included in the price and that was very average, it was busy standards of the breakfast was average they have an omelette station who makes half cooked omelettes. There are other restaurants but got put off as one of them was doing a buffet charging £36 per head that was the cheapest. I had a car so it was easier and cheaper to go out to a nearby town and eat. I tried the gym every day all i wanted to do was have a peaceful workout but kept getting interrupted by the trainer who was adamant that i do one of his workout eventually agreed afterwards felt don’t know why i bothered as made no difference which explains why he has half the muscles as I do. I tried a spa treatment it which was okay but it seems the spa staff was falling asleep massaging me. My wife who also had a treatment her massage the staff seemed cant be bothered. The steam room and sauna are never switched on you have to ask for ti to be on and then wait 20 mins for it to heat up. Upon checking out there was no concierge i had to drag the luggage myself over a long distance there is no lift in the property so you have to carry them on stairs. Overall I would not stay here again there are alot of other properties for the same price with better standards.

1 Thank nad_00000
Dear nad_00000,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback with us.
Moreover I would like to present our most sincere apologies for not delivering the experience you were looking for when coming to Mauritius and InterContinental.

I have taken the liberty to share your valuable comments with our Management team and our Training and Quality Continuous Improvement Manager so that they can share it with their respective teams and implement action plans to prevent those issues from reoccuring.

I still trust you brought some fond memories back home and hope you will give us another chance to show you the real InterContinental hospitality.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

Fabulous hotel, great service, fantastic food but the evening entertainment was none existent, after 2 weeks we were bored of going to bed at 9.30pm! Therefore only 4 out of 5 stars as one deducted for the poor evening entertainment/atmosphere.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear v,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to find out that all in all you had a great 2 week stay with us.
We have animations on a daily basis:
- Monday: DJ - Music of the 80's
- Tuesday: Indian Show
- Wednesday: Mauritian night with Sega
- Thursday: Oriental show with Belly dance
- Friday: DJ Mix - Music of the 80's and 90's
- Saturday: White evening party with Fashion Show
- Sunday: DJ mix - Chill out

I have the pleasure to inform you that we are also revamping our program as of June:
- Monday: African evening
- Tuesday: Indian evening
- Wednesday: Mauritian night with Sega
- Thursday: Oriental show with Belly dance
- Friday: Latino evening
- Saturday: White evening party with Live Band
- Sunday: DJ Mix - Chill out

I trust this will provide enough entertainment to keep you busy and give us this 5th star back ;-)

Executive Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,379 reviews
The Ravenala Attitude
The Ravenala Attitude
#4 of 5 in Balaclava

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!