“Out to please”

InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great location and great staff. Staff were very attentive to your needs. Fabulous rooms and beautiful gardens and surrounds. Dinner at the Indian Restaurant in particular was excellent. The highlight however, was the spa - they really go out of their way to make you feel special and the treatment I had was simply heavenly. You have to try the young coconut water... A great short stay. The internet connection left a lot to be desired - then again, I guess you go to Mauritius to get away from it all!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Helene E,

Thank you for your review of our Resort, and I hope you had a safe journey back to Sydney!

I will make sure the team at the Yuj Spa know that you had a great time at there, and also to the team at Veda, it really is our Indian jewel in the Indian Ocean.

I will pass on the feedback regarding the internet to the concerned party, and it's an area we are continuing to improve on.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

nice and cool place to stay with origin of sea and enjoy the sea view and be on beach that island beach personal island of hotel and must go once for stay an food is also good so once must prefer this .

Room Tip: every room is good but suggestion for suite room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear brijesh2013

Thanks for your nice review of our Resort, it's been some time since you were here, but we hope to welcome you back soon.

I'm glad you liked the food offering and a good room tip for the Suites, they are lovely!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The stay was alright, the rooms are comfortable and the food is good if repetitive. YOU NEED TO LOCK UP EVERYTHING THOUGH. A FEW STAFF ARE DETERMINED TO GIVE THE HOTEL A BAD NAME. THEY STOLE MY PERFUME AND MY WIFE;S CIGARETTE LIGHTER. Attempts to report this to the person checking the quality of the room cleaning proved unproductive.

Dear couple68,

Greetings from the InterContinental, I'm glad you arrived safely back in Nairobi.

I am saddened to see you had some problems with some items missing from your room. We do take this matter very seriously.

Please contact me on shane.jameson@ihg.com so we can follow up with the matter.

I'm glad the room and food and beverage offering was to your liking.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed at the intercontinental, August 11 - 21 All Inc, which is a must unless you are teetotal. Cocktails are £8-10 but good. Staff were great, my wife has a bad back & neck, we asked for firmer pillows at the front desk, less than half hour they were in our room. The rooms were cleaned every day, & spacious, room had fan & A/C. The boys at the pool bar were great at making cocktails for us, always with a smile. Food selection in the main Senso restaurant was varied, fresh & good, never got around to the desert section, too full. We also used Segala restaurant for the occasional breakfast lunch,& evening meal. Also very good.
By the beach beds there are red & blue flags, my wife said to me, what are these for, picked one up playing with it, half joking said " maybe it's to get a waiter" & within a minute he came over, rather embarrassed we had to order some cocktails.
We only went on one trip, that was on a catamaran. Picked up & returned to the hotel, food & drink provided, booked through Clark, a very nice local guy on the beach.
Didn't use the spa/Gym
A very relaxed stay

1  Thank John D
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear John D,

Thanks for your review of our wonderful resort, glad the flags worked for you!

Will make sure the pool boys know that you enjoyed their service.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Currently out here having a relaxing family holiday. Our company use Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza constantly, both in the UK and in New York and America, so we expected a high standard. We have not been disappointed by IR Mauritius. The welcome, the staff, the service, the rooms, indeed everything has been outstanding. The food is exceptional and the staff really cannot do enough for you. These hotels are always a reflection of their management and it is clear that an outstanding management team is at work here. Well done, a smashing holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Ocean, so unaware of any bad rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tony01UK
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear Tony01UK,

Thank you so much for your review, it's a comfort to know that we're hitting the mark against brand consistency.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to Mauritius.

Thank you again for such a positive review.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I were initally concerned about our choice of our hotel due to the reviews we had read on Trip adviser however we loved the IC in Balaclava. It was big enough to have your own personal spot in paradise but small enough to navigate easily. We enjoyed breakfast in the Segala, lunch on the beach and dinner in the main restaurant. The food was lovely, plenty of choice available and plain chicken,lamb fish etc for those who do not like spices or herbs. We had dinner in the Segala on one occasion and would highly recommend the crab broth it was sensational. We also ate in the Noble house on one occasion which was nice as an alternative to buffet and being served but the food was just as good in the buffet area. We often return from holiday craving vegetables but in this case we did nto miss anything as there was plenty of vegeatables and salad to choose from. We found the Poolside bar staff really friendly and the wait was not an issue for us they worked hard serving the beach walking up and down to ensure its customers were happy. The bar staff woudl concot a cocktail for you if you coudl not make up your mind what you wanted and I was always pleased with the result. I liked to idea of the red and blue flag again ensuring you had privacy and was not disturbed by showing the red flag or asking for service by using the blue flag, however we did not feel the need to use this service as it was not required as we found the staff attentive enough, I have stayed at hotels where the staff are so 'in your face' asking if they can help that I find it most irritaiting however here for us, they had the level of attentiveness just right. Initially I was worried we may not find a sunbed as it seems like there are not enough when you first walk round but we always found a bed and there were always spare ones around so it was an illusion that there did not seem to be enough, plus they had lovely round whicker furniture you could lay on as a couple or just if you wanted lots of space to yourself dotted around the resort.. The towel cabana was great too and supplied as many towels as you wished the staff were always friendly and soon recongised you and your rom number was not requested. My husband and I normally like to venture out on holiday and rarely go all inclusive howver we just chilled and completely swtiched off, did not bother to leave the complex as we did not feel the need to bar one trip on a catamaran which was great. My husband had warned me that the beaches were better on the east side of the island but because we were going in winter we wanted to make sure it was nice enough to sit out at all times so chose the west side of the island. For us the weather was just right and we sat out all day and watched the wonderful sunsets each evening with one of the lovely cocktails from the beach bar.On our last day we watched an 'anti cyclone' against the beach which was amazing to see. There was entertainment available and I sometimes felt for the entertainers at the lack of people attending to entertain which to me indicated that this was not really what people were there for so in previous reviews where there are complaints about lack of entertainment I'm not sure what the hotel can do about it, it's there if you want it?!!! Also the daily activities board was updated and again the activiites were available if you wanted them but due to lack of participants did not always run, again I'm not too sure what they can do about this, the staff tried to get people involved but I think they also tried hard to recognise people wanted privacy, a fine line for them to get right I suspect? Our room was lovely, I have a chronic back problem so bed comfort is paramount to me and the beds as previously mentioned are lovely, I requested firmer pillows and they were in my room on return from dinner. We did not have children but where there were families I did notice parents having some 'me time' so expect the kids club worked well for them. I am normally well ready to go home from my holidays as I do get homesick but in this instance I was not, I could have stayed longer... much longer. Things that coudl be considered to - I would say could be improved which could also support quicker service from the pool bar is use of an electronic system for purchases rather than paper based bills. For example the use of the room card to have your purchases recorded as you order, this would save time for the waiters coming back and forth. I also noticed that the hotel is green friendly so again this could save use of paper. The other thing I was not sure about was accessiblity, the toilets were quite small and I did not observe any wheelchair accessible toilets or ramps for accessibility - I am not sure if this is being dealt with or is available but I just did not see it?
All in all a great trip and we were very sorry to leave, well done for giving us privacy but at the same time being attentive enough to make sure we felt valued

Room Tip: try to get room in the middle of the complex
3  Thank KayDDavis

Dear KayDDavis,

I am a bit speechless. You have really covered the exact points we try and get across as a Hotel Venue Provider. The balance between privacy and attentiveness/eagerness, the right rood combination, accommodation ambiance and entertainment options.

All I can say is THANKYOU! for such an honest, stark and real review.

Definitely made our day here at the resort.

See you again soon hopefully

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We normally do not like to write reviews or recommend hotels easily unless we had a very enjoyable stay. Intercon Mauritius is a very good resort, mainly for families. We had a morning flight and arrived at the hotel quite tired. We were welcomed by a gentleman , followed by Vandana who did our check in and then greeted by the Duty Manager Ms. Nashreen. We waited for some 20 mins for our room. The hotel is very big and has many activities . Restaurant are always fully book , so we recommend for advance booking if you want to try the different restaurants .Our preferred one was the Noble House. Segala is good but the staffs do not pay attention sometimes, and the restaurant manager seems not to know his job well. Senso is good for breakfast and is buffet. Ved the restaurant manager is very good. Special activities in the evening. A special mention to thank Ms. Nashreen and Mr. Sunjay, the food and beverage manager for their kind attention and for making our stay a memorable one. We will definitely go back to intercon if we go back to Mauritius .

Room Tip: I would recommend you take 2 deluxe rooms next to each other if you are travelling with your grown u...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruby A
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Ruby A,

Greetings from the IC Mauritius. I wanted to thank you for your review and will make sure that Sunjay and Nashreen know that you enjoyed their service.

I apologise for the apparent 'vague' service you experienced in Segala, it's fairly isolated as we don't usually get these comments regarding this restaurant, however we take all feedback seriously and will look into this, so thank you for letting us know.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius, and thanks for the amazing room tip you offered. We do try to accommodate where possible 'ajoining' rooms. Another option for families is also the 2 bedroom family room, which has the interconnecting door for privacy.

Shane J

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!