“InterContinental Stay”

InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 11 February 2014

It was real great stay in Mauritius. Hotel was huge and it used to take long time to walk from one end to other end. Just a stone throw from the Beautiful Beach with lot of activity. Good number of restaurants with all types of food. Hotel was away from the city and crowd, it was ideal for honeymoon couple and business travel as well. Massive bathing area and huge bed. Excellent common areas with lots of greenary.

Room Tip: Ocean facing Rooms are good
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank peddiravi
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear peddiravi,

Thank you for having chosen InterContinental Mauritius Resort for your stay! I am pleased that you had a great stay with us!

Looking forward to welcome you again for your next holiday!

Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,078)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Booked this hotel for our forever memoir of honeymoon and boy was i right in making this decision.

The resort is huge, with the best of amenities for offer to its customers. It has an amazing view throughout. The hotel has some excellent facilities for honeymooners and once feels absolutely relaxed and cut off from the outer world during a stay here.

Even though i had a very small glitch of a leaking bathroom, but i was promptly shifted to another room. The earlier room had a much better view.

The property is huge and has all that a couple on the lookout for some relaxed time out their. Will definitely recommend this hotel for all its amenities and comforts provided.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Anujj G,

I thank you for your wonderful feedback of your stay at our Resort!

I am very happy that you had a memorable honeymoon here and will be happier to welcome you again!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I booked this for our honeymoon as All Inclusive and we were quite overly impressed with the decor and general reception service although we had a few issues. Our room was lovely and beautifully decorated with shower and massive bath with a lovely welcoming towels and drinks. Food was very nice with lots of options every night and at different times of the day. Beach was well looked after. Overall we were satisfied with the hotel although we had a few issues. Issue one was during eating times there were so many flies which got very annoying and disgusting. Dont think the hotel did enough to prevent this problem. Second issue is we had trail of ants in our room and despite complaining about it we didn't have it seen to after 2 days. 3rd issue was the bath, it was too big, slippery and dangerous. Both my wife and myself nearly slipped many times. Apart from them we were fairly satisfied although didn't feel we got a our moneys worth.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TJALI83

Dear TJALI83,

I thank you for your comments and have taken good notes of the issues you had during your stay. Regarding the flies, it was due to an environmental change which all Hotels in the region were facing. I can say that measures have been taken by concerned authority and this is no more an issue at the hotel. For ants in rooms, treatments for insects are being done frequently, to prevent insects from getting into the rooms.

I am certain that these issues will not happen again should you wish to come to our resort again for your vacation.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We had been there from 29th Jan to 4th Feb 2014. We had taken honeymoon package. We had booked Deluxe Ocean View Jaccuzi Room for our stay.Hotel is quite far away from aiport it nearly took one and half hour drive to reach hotel. On way to hotel we buyed local sim card and 2 Crate of drinking water bottles as water bottles in the hotel is quite expensive this information was quite helpful got it from prior reviews on tripadvisor. We reached hotel and on showing our booking reference paper we were offered a cool refreshing drink and also wet towels. Check in process was smooth on request for early check in we were given room 1 hour before check in time. The walk from the lobby to room was too long and was accompanied by an hotel receptionist.we got the room in the second last building which was opposite to hotel's 2nd swimming pool.Room was nicely done.Only once 2 Complementary water bottles were given throughout the stay on our first day. We had some problem with airconditioning in our room it didnt worked properly as there was no airflow from vents asked the Guest service to get it fixed. They fixed it within half hour but this problem we faced every second day and the aircondition was quite slow to cool the room. We had been given half hour complimentary couple spa massage at their Yuj Spa. This was not worth it first they did it only for 20 mins and second dont know what oil they applied on our head the smell lasted till 2 days even after washing throughly for the next two days with shampoo. Throuhout the stay we had breakfast at senso and dinner pre booked at veda. Food at veda was very delicious but service was very very slow and on the last day dinner we nearly had to wait 15 mins after finishing main course for someone to clear the table and another 15 mins to have our dessert it seemed that chef and prepared the dessert but there was no one to serve it so the icecream had almost melted then too they served us with the melted icecream. P.S.If you are on halfboard Package like breakfast and dinner at Intercontinental then it is better to carry your own water bottle everyday to restaurant as they dont include drinking water in half board package this was new for me. Overall stay experience was good would love to go again there but in mauritius winter season.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MaldePujan
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear MaldePujan,

I thank you for your feedback about your stay. I have well taken notes about the slow service in Veda and the airconditioning issue. Please note that our engineering team is already looking into the matter with regards to the A/C and for the slow service, corrective action plan is already in place. I assure you that this will not be an issue for your next vacation.

I will be pleased to welcome you again in our Resort for your next vacation.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed in various Intercontinental hotels before and I had always had great stays. So when I booked this hotel I expected the same level. The hotel has beautiful common areas with a nice garden next to the beach. I stayed in a suite and everything was quite good there, absolute Intercontinental level, with spacious, comfortable and very tasteful decoration.
Deception started in the morning. Breakfast was unacceptable. Dirty tables, broken chairs and staff that couldn’t care less about the gests. The quality of food was also very bad; some items like cheese and ham were clearly past consumption date.
After this experience it was beach time. This was another huge deception. Forget about the sandy beach you were expecting to find. Beaches at the hotel are manmade. The sand is rough, full of rocks and weeds and the water is not clear. I was lucky to have a rental car, so I just decided to go to a great public beach at Trou aux Biches every day.
Everything wouldn’t be that bad if staff was more welcoming. Everyone, from reception to the restaurant and bar just seem to be making you a big favor in attending your requests and needs. By day 3 I was so tired that I tried to check out earlier but they wouldn’t refund me any of the money so I just stayed for 3 more frustrating days.
I can’t say the hotel ruined my vacation but when you pay for 5 star standard and you get 2-3 star it does not let you the best memories. I do think that the Intercontinental organization needs to make a huge update at this hotel. If this would have been my first stay at an Intercontinental I would never choose this organization again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear Ullises,

I thank you for your feedback on our Resort. I sincerely apologize for bad experience you had during your vacation. I assure you that we have already implemented an action plan regarding good service. I am very much certain of a huge improvement within month.

I will be more than happy to personally welcome you, with better service this time, should you wish to change your mind and visit us again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 February 2014

May I make it clear from the outset that this hotel is nowhere near as poor as some of the previous reviewers have suggested. We arrived early (as all BA flights do from London). Despite the hotel being very busy, our room was ready immediately. The room itself was absolutely fine, immaculately clean & tidy. Our all-in package was due to start with dinner on the first evening but we were able to switch the final day's lunch to the first day. This was very useful & much appreciated.

Our only real problem was with the self-service main restaurant (the Senso). The overall impression was that it was somewhat 'scruffy'. The organisation was poor and some of the service, quite amateurish. The evenings tended to have a themed menu (Italian. Indian, Oriental etc.). A beach barbecue type night was fantastic and the staff worked stunningly hard to make it a success (& to clear up marvellously after it)! However should that not be to your taste, it seemed quite difficult to find a suitable alternative.

Within the hotel complex there is however, an entirely separate Indian restaurant (Veda). This was elegant, sophisticated & the food beautifully presented. To have a table it is absolutely essential to book it in advance.

I suspect that this hotel is not quite sure what it's market is. Additionally there are some aspects that badly need a much firmer management grip. Despite this, we enjoyed ourselves but our impression was that it was a notch or two down from some of the other competitive Mauritian hotels, with which we were familiar.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SKETTYTRAVELLER
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear SKETTYTRAVELLER,

I thank you for your comments. Please be informed that we have already started the process of improving our service on the overall. The action plan has already been implemented. I assure you this wont be an issue in future.

I look forward to welcome you again at InterContinental Mauritius Resort!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

we were extremely impressed with every aspect of our stay. The staff at this hotel are exceptional, and have excellent cusotmer service skills. They are helpful, attentive, and knowledgeable. I will be returning here again in the future as it is a hotel i can trust 110%.
we we would like to specially thanks Marc Resort Manager for his truly hotelier skills ,something which is scare nowadays he made us feel so special.Indeed we will be returning ad tell our friends to trust Intercontinental High hospitality experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear hastingsCalvados,

I personally thank you for having chosen InterContinental Mauritius for your stay and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay!

I will be very pleased to welcome you again to our Resort!

Warm Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
5 mi away
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!