“Beautiful Resort!!!”

InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We arrived at the hotel in the evening and were greeeted by a smiling Simi who was extremely friendly and helpful. We were given coffee on arrival and given all the information we needed regarding the resort. After check in were taken to the restaurant for the Buffet dinner. We ate in the main resturant during our entire stay. Every night had a different theme and lots of chice. The food was delicious although the drinks were very expensive. We were on a HB basis.

Our room: The room is exactly as seen in the photos. We found it very spacious. However, we felt the cupboard space was too limited. The bathroom was gorgeous. However, the bath was extremely difficult and uncomfortable to use. The walk-in shower was big and practical. You did have to lay a towel at the entrance to prevent the bathroom from flooding. Towels were changed twice a day so you never ran short. We were on the first floor and enjoyed having relaxing evenings sitting in the balcony. The views of the sunset were just like those of a postcard!

The staff: Everyone was very friendly and always happy to assist. Special mention needs to be made about Simi, Deepak and Nishi. Simi always had a smile and chatted to us about things to do, and what to see. She shared a lot of the culture of Mauritius. Deepuck also assisted with following up on our tours and gave us ideas on where to shop. Many of the places mentioned are not your typical 'tourist' places yet one could get the vbest bargains. Nishi was at the reception desk and also chatted to us about Mauritius and where to get airtime and find supermarkets.

The resort: Our first sight of the hotel was the reception area. iT was large with plenty of place to sit and take in the view of the ocean. We spent some time in the heated pool which had the perfect temprature. There are 3 other resturants on the premises besides the main restaurant. We did not eat at any of those so I can not comment on it. There is a little island on the resort and even though it's man-made it was still beautiful to just relax there. I do agree with the other reviewers that the sand was too rough to enjoy.

At the end of the week, we felt our holiday was too short! Could not have dreamt of a better place to spend our 5th anniversary. Will definitely return if the opportunity ever arises.

Thanks to everyone who made our stay a memorable one. All the best for the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2009

So we travelled to this hotel for our honeymoon with 9 months year old son, I know wrong way round...We booked through Holiday Experts with Sunset. Experience of both first class, pickup perfect and car seat better than we have at home..
So arrival at hotel was great, Simi as mentioned before greets you with big smile. We arrived very early in the morning but Simi arranged a change of room for us so we could get in there straight away, we had requested ground floor room due to stroller and this was already sorted along with cot in room. Room was very nice, not massive but just big enough as we were not planning on staying in there too much. Bath was fantacstic though.. So to the hotel,Lobby impressive, Barracuda Bar very nice upstairs with the ever happy Vishal serving with a smile. We went with all inclusive package and personally we think this is a must if you plan to stay in and around hotel all day. We used the buffet quite a lot due to the little one in the eveings, we thought Buffet was of a high standard compared to others in 5 * range. Food was great and very varied. Breakfast was fab. Lunch grilled meat was great. Chefs would ask us what puree we would like for the little one and provided for us at lunch..Great and he loved them. The 3 evening resturants were very good, Vega was our favourite by a long way, just fantastic is all I have to say, Chef was great and would come out at end of meal. Staff there and at all 3 to be honest were very good... Segala was next favourite..We went a la carte there and thought it was amazing again...Crabmeat and shrimp cocktail to die for..I would reccomend booking restaurants when you get there as I reckon these will become more and more popular as people realise how good they are.
We used the pool bar quite a lot Vik, Stegan and Jessen are great, all the staff were again very good here and a must a working through the list and getting Vik to make you all the margheritas. Bryan, Dhirin and Sam run a very tight ship and should be proud of what has been achieved in such a short time, it appears a lot of staff are new yet they seem to have gelled to create a very good team purely focused on customer service. It appears staff numbers have been boosted recently and this may explain some negaitve posts in previously.
We used the babysitting service and although not the cheapest we foudn it very reliable and Annie out babysitter very friendly, the little man loved her, the kids club must be one of the cleanest and friendliest I have ever seen so credit to the team there. I had no issues leaving my child in their care and I think that is the most important thing.
Snorkelling no great by hotel but a 5 minute walk along beach to Grand Mauritiuan hotel and it was much better, that hotel was empty by the way...
,,Things it did have that other people may have missed, Free water Skiing, Wind surfing, kayaking, glass bottom boat, table tennis, tennis. Beach Volleyball, petanque. Beach staff were fun and enthusiastic...
Main pool was a little cold for the little man so we used warmer pool at end of beach near boat house and dive place, very nice pool and just right temperature.
The only think that could get annoying is the sunbeds, towards the end of our holiday people were getting up very early and reserving with towels, then not turning up to use them until after midday, other quality hotels I have stayed at ban this behaviour by removing towels...There are plenty of beds I just hate people that do that...
If you have a stroller or pram I would reccomend ground floor room, the only place you have to lift pram would be to get to upstairs barrucuda bar, although everytime we went there the staff would take the pram and not let us carry...You can get to the lobby without stairs using car ramp.
We left early in the morning and when I arranged wake up call they offered us continetal breakfast in room at no charge so very happy with that..
We used the spa....quality and what you would expect, very plesant staff and very relaxing...There was what looked like a well equipped gym although I was on holiday so allergic to gym equipment.
All in all we were very pleased, we have stayed at Four seasons and Ritz Carlton hotels, this was up there but not Four Seasons, although I think value for money was better than FS and that is was matters these days..
If you are thinking of taking a young infant feel assured, if any questions please ask me...It was our first hotel trip away with the little man and we could not fault a thing..

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank BigSimon
Reviewed 27 September 2009

As very frequent Intercontinental Hotel guests, we tested the Intercontinental Maurititius last week for one night, while on holiday at a different location in Mauritius.

First a few words on the hotel as such: the style of this still rather new hotel follows the current Intercontinental design approach of straight lines, combination of light and dark colours, natural materials, etc., with a bit of an african touch to it. All in all: very stylish and nice.

Location: if you expect a turquoise lagoon, sheltered by a reef and a long, white sandy beach, you will be disappointed by the Intercontinental Mauritius. The hotel offers only artifical beach, and a small and shallow artifical lagoon, surrounded by rocks placed there to shelter from the raging ocean. There are far better beaches on the island. For snorkeling, the people of the watersports center suggest to walk up the coast past the next hotel. On the ground of the ICH, there are two pools (one heated), with a nice view over the ocean. The gardens are nicely landscaped and the view is to the west, allowing for cheesy sunset pictures... ;-)

Food and Drink: We only had breakfast, and a few drinks at the pool bar. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with many choices, warm and cold, freshly squeezed juices, etc. Drinks at the Bar were also high quality, bar keepers doing a good job. In the evening, there is live music at the bar and main restaurant.

Service: Generally very friendly, house keeping and evening turndown service very good. Some friendlyness flaws in the reception area, not (yet ) up to ICH standards. Guest wishes are not yet really anticipated.

Room: We had a big terrace room on the ground floor, ocean view, beautiful interior design, big and well laid out bath room with free standing tub, wonderful bed, quiet AC system. BUT: very very bad soundproofing job by the builders/architects. We could hear the neighbors showering, doors slamming loudly, and every word from the housekeeping team on the floor from 7am, chatting outside our door. This alone would spoil our vacation and was the most important flaw, which can affect you greatly, unless you are a very early riser (and not planning to sleep in). I think this issue should be addressed urgently to allow us to recommend the hotel for more than a few nights.

Reviewed 24 September 2009

I really enjoyed my 3 days (way too short) for the place, the food and the nice and friendly service offered. The spacious room with sea front view was absolutely gorgeous with all you may need in it, same for the bathroom. Not to forget the excellent massage and spa area with professionals. Though far from airport, it is close from capital and night life area (grand baie) with bars, clubs, casino, ...
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I stayed in a hotel for a week with my friend and her parents. We both live in Dubai, so it took us 6 hours to get from hot hectic city to paradise. We were met at the airport by the airport rep, very friendly guy, who made us feel welcome. He had cold towels and water ready in a car. The drive from the airport was about 50 minutes. The driver put on local music. View of sugar cane fields and relaxing music were perfect to switch into vacation mood. The drive to the hotel is stunning; you get to see a bit of an island and can’t wait to see the rest. I lived on tropical islands before, so I am a bit picky. But Mauritius was love from first sight.

Hotel lobby was spacious, airy and felt cozy. I could not take my eyes off beautiful ocean. The welcome drinks were amazing. I loved the room instantly, and I had stayed in many 5 star hotels. Contemporary design, colors just to my liking and heavenly bed, overlooking the ocean. The view from the room seemed to be like a glimpse from the postcard, but it was real! As we were two girls, we appreciated double sinks and luxury of space in the bathroom, so we could line up the endless cosmetic bottles…All rooms have balconies with cozy chairs. We loved sitting on the balcony and relaxing after the long day of exploring the island. We also had a look at the other room types – Family room and Duplex suite. Duplex suite is a great choice, if you travel with your partner on a special occasion. Family room is a perfect choice if you travel with the kids, kids got their own room. Hotel had everything you need to spoil yourself during holiday – pools, beach, pool bar , lounge bar, three restaurants, Angsana spa and sea view gym. Hotel has plenty of activities scheduled every day. We tried aqua aerobics and tropical dance lesson. It was a lot of fun. Not many guests took up on activities offer. We were the only one, jumping in the pool, but I am sure the other guests had a good laugh watching us. Also my friend had her hair braided, she looked fabulous. The recreation team looked after us very well. I wish I had more time to try more activities on the program, especially yoga on the beach! Yoga is definitely on to do list for my next visit.
I got to try all the restaurants, except Indian. The food was delicious, we had buffet breakfast, but the other meals we had a la carte. The breakfast variety was very good. They even cooked Eggs Benedict either with local fish or salmon. Usually the choice of eggs is limited in the hotels, but this hotel was definitely an exception. And of course they had magic machine, which squeezed fresh juices for the guests at breakfast. The best part of food and beverage experience was local beverages – Phoenix beer with lime (Fresh), passion fruit mohjitos (must try cocktail at the Sugar Cane bar in the hotel) and local rum. We were lucky to have a lesson on rum making at the Baracuda Bar. My friend took notes; I just bought a bottle of home made rum to take home. They have a variety of home made rum at the Baracuda Bar. There are different flavors such as four spices, grapefruit, coconut, and passion fruit. Passion fruit rum was my favorite flavor.
Last, but not least – spa experience. I had signature Angsana massage on my last day before the flight. Thai therapist was one of the best, I had ever experienced. And I lived in Thailand for three years!
The week went so fast, but I managed to see the whole island. We had great excursions arranged by the concierge. As we were four of us, we usually took a taxi to go places. I think, next time I would not mind renting a car and driving. Roads are narrow, but it would be fun way to see the island.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We enjoyed to have been able to have a relaxing, quiet stay. That's what we needed after a long journey and let the soul swing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2009

unfortunatelly we chose this hotel for our holidays.the reason we chose it was because we are ambassador members of the intercontinental hotels and we would have some special treatment as it happens to other intercontinental hotels around the world but here this was not the case.(for example after mauritius we went to dubai and stayed in intercontinental we were upgraded imediatelly, we had fresh flowers every day, fresh fruits,every day and i don't mean apples, sweets everyday, a very nice gift etc).
we arrived at the hotel by the hotel limo service which probably was the best feature of the hotel-the driver called Deepuck and was simply a great driver, very friendly and professional as well with a lot of knowledge about...everything. the hotel from the outside looked like a state prison-not at all the exotic tropical feeling you expect to see.
in the dull lobby we were adressed to a member of the stuff who arranged all the check-in procedure and start telling us so many things about hotel information when we just wanted to rest a little bit from our nearly 24 hours trip from greece via dubai to mauritius.
ofcourse we did not receive the garanteed room upgrate that we supposed to have due to we are gold ambassador members of the intercontinental and through our stay they never mentioned it (.by the way we met some couples there that after some talking they said to us that they were upgrated).the room was large.the furnishings were of cheap material but i can say that they looked preety nice.there was a mini bar very poorly stocked, a large lcd tv with numerous channels,(one day ofcourse stopped working but fortunatelly was repaired the next day) a very comfortable bed, the view to the ocean was interuppted by palm trees but in general it was nice.the bathroom was large with the least of bathroom cosmetics they could offer.nice thing was the tv in the bathroom. everyday they brought complimentary fruits that is 3 apples or similar ''tropical fruits''...most of the times the complimentary coffe and tea just wasn't there...
Breakfast was the same every day and sometimes not very tasty. once i wanted a banana fresh juice and i was told that they did not have enough bananas for that !we were there on half board and the buffet dinners were most of the times boring and again not tasty at all.breakfast/buffet dinner room was very dull and generic and many mornings was invated by birds who just having their breakfast from your...plate.the beach was manmade-no soft sand and the swimmable area full of rocks and seaweeds.beach service was very bad.you had to search all the time for someone to order drinks or something to eat. the good thing was that the beach was never crowded-maybe most of the guests were searching for other beaches...the sunbeds were pretty much dirty.the pool was freezing cold.the heated pool was very crowded and very small.the bar of the hotel was a place of bordom.fortunatelly the bar of the grand mauritian hotel(next to intercontinental) was very good with beautiful surroundings and nice live band music so most of the evenings we were going there.the indian restaurant was o.k. the asian restaurant was very-very good. finally when the last day of our dreadfull stay there came during check out they told us if we could be so kind to write a good review on trip advisor and then maybe we will win a free 7 nights stay after competition in the hotel-after that i am not surprised why there are so many good reviews of this hotel, most probably everyone wants to win, well i don't if it is to spend even a day in that hotel.really it amazes me how intercontinental gave its reputable name to this hotel.the general manager who we met mr. patrick marinez was very polite and friendly and tried all the time to do the best but i don't know what is happening to that hotel.most probably one person cannot do everything.in general if you want relaxed vacation with some mauritian feeling then keep away from this hotel.

2  Thank alex12013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius

Been to InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort? Share your experiences!