We arrived at the hotel in the evening and were greeeted by a smiling Simi who was extremely friendly and helpful. We were given coffee on arrival and given all the information we needed regarding the resort. After check in were taken to the restaurant for the Buffet dinner. We ate in the main resturant during our entire stay. Every night had a different theme and lots of chice. The food was delicious although the drinks were very expensive. We were on a HB basis.
Our room: The room is exactly as seen in the photos. We found it very spacious. However, we felt the cupboard space was too limited. The bathroom was gorgeous. However, the bath was extremely difficult and uncomfortable to use. The walk-in shower was big and practical. You did have to lay a towel at the entrance to prevent the bathroom from flooding. Towels were changed twice a day so you never ran short. We were on the first floor and enjoyed having relaxing evenings sitting in the balcony. The views of the sunset were just like those of a postcard!
The staff: Everyone was very friendly and always happy to assist. Special mention needs to be made about Simi, Deepak and Nishi. Simi always had a smile and chatted to us about things to do, and what to see. She shared a lot of the culture of Mauritius. Deepuck also assisted with following up on our tours and gave us ideas on where to shop. Many of the places mentioned are not your typical 'tourist' places yet one could get the vbest bargains. Nishi was at the reception desk and also chatted to us about Mauritius and where to get airtime and find supermarkets.
The resort: Our first sight of the hotel was the reception area. iT was large with plenty of place to sit and take in the view of the ocean. We spent some time in the heated pool which had the perfect temprature. There are 3 other resturants on the premises besides the main restaurant. We did not eat at any of those so I can not comment on it. There is a little island on the resort and even though it's man-made it was still beautiful to just relax there. I do agree with the other reviewers that the sand was too rough to enjoy.
At the end of the week, we felt our holiday was too short! Could not have dreamt of a better place to spend our 5th anniversary. Will definitely return if the opportunity ever arises.
Thanks to everyone who made our stay a memorable one. All the best for the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms and 140 Deluxe rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools ( all heated in winter ), 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Southall Travel, Agoda, Prestigia, IHG, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava