“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hotel was fabulous,. We stayed in a spa suite which was spacious, airy and quiet. The food was excellent. I'm a vegetarian and the staff went out of their way to ensure I was supplied with everything I wanted. That's the first time that has happened on a holiday and I was very impressed by it. With the spa suites, come daily massages and again, the service was excellent.
The only criticisms were that the restocking of the coffee was a little haphazard; the pools, including the spa suite plunge pool, are not heated and there were many many flies, encouraging my husband to name the island Maur- meaning flies and itius meaning lots of. The team went out of their way to try and disband the merry throng, but they were very intrusive. That said, there's not much you can do about that, so the comfort of the suite was very welcome at times. All in all, a wonderful place with wonderful staff.

1 Thank KateyH
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Katey,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. We are glad to know that you had a great time.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. I am especially thrilled to know that your Spa suite was to your convenience and that you enjoyed the massages. Our Spa therapists are dedicated in making sure that our guests receive the relaxing experience they are looking for. It is with great pleasure that I hear that you had an excellent service. Rest assured that your warm comments will be passed on to the team.

I would like to take this opportunity to address the mishap during your stay. Please note that we have not been the only hotel in Balaclava that was affected. A few days ago we were given a reason to this problem and it has been tackled by the responsible party and the authorities.

Once again we would like to thank you for your nice comments. I hope you had a safe trip back to London and that we will soon welcome you again at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Pascal Prigent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Castleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We only stayed at the angsana for one night because our hotel was overbooked and so they asked us to move and because of the duration it's difficult to give a proper review. We stayed in one of the ocean front rooms which was spectacular in terms of facilities, decor and setting. The room comes with a private pool, the bath is huge and it really was a high end room, probably one of the nicest we have stayed in. We used the spa and had a fantastic massage which was given by very experienced staff. The spa setting is very restful and again stylish without feeling too pretentious. The gym facilities were excellent with current techno gym equipment. The hotel is big and grande which unfortunately made it feel less personal than our previous hotel and a little too corporate for our tastes. The staff were friendly during our very short stay. The big downer is the hotel had a fly infestation which was frustrating as you couldn't relax by the pool and even more annoying when you tried to eat. The breakfast buffet was deliciously presented, however due to the amount of flys everything had to be covered. I'm not sure what can be done but I would definitely suggest the hotel investigates and comes up with a solution or makes their hotel guest aware.

2 Thank Threeroofscafe
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Lee,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your very short stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. We are pleased to read that the ocean front suite was to your liking. We must say that it is the most popular suite amongst our guest that are especially fond of the beautiful stone bath tub and the various in suite facilities offered.

I am delighted to learn that during your short stay you were able to make some time to experience our spa facilities and its wide range of relaxing and rejuvenating treatments. Our spa team is dedicated in making sure our guests receive the appropriate tender loving care they fully deserve. Rest assured that you warm comments have been passed on to the team.

Lee, during your stay you might have noticed that there were quite a few flies. We have taken this issue very seriously and an investigation was under process during your stay. It could have been that you did not notice our vain efforts as we have been trying to deal with it in the most natural manner that will not cause any disturbance to our guests or the environment. I would also like to point out that we are not the only hotel in Balaclava that is currently being affected by this problem. However, please be aware that this morning hotels of Balaclava were given a reason to this problem and it will be resolved in the shortest delay possible and we are dealing with local authorities to tackle the issue.

Once again please accept our apologies. We trust you had a safe trip back to the UK and that we will have the pleasure to welcome you at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius once again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have very mixed feelings about Angsana Resort...although I would not rate it badly...the resort service lacks the small touches which take your experience from 'good' to 'memorable' or 'amazing' !
The pros are.. amazing food, attentive and courteous restaurant staff and great live music in the evenings! But unfortunately thats where it ends.
The biggest drawback is the service..as individuals they are great but there's complete lack of coordination amongst the staff resulting in innumerable glitches. Requests are not heeded to and the staff don't revert back on queries and one has to keep following up. The gym is ill equipped and poorly lit and the spa is completely devoid of any tantalizing smells of aromatherapy oils or candles..which normally lure you to using a spa! The room was nice and spacious but very impersonal and dingy. The whole property is so tiny..apart from the small beach and pool area...there is no garden or enough space to just walk around... that you feel constricted.
One could have overlooked a whole lot of these things, but Angsana.. your biggest drawback is you just dont go that extra mile to make a guest feel pampered enough.. and our decision to move into another resort with a beautiful sprawling property....where the extraordinary personalized service made us feel like kings and queens, at more or less the same cost..just proved this point. But to give you credit you did offer to upgrade us to redeem yourselves.. and we appreciate that.
Overall.. a resort with a lot of potential...great bunch of individuals . who need to come together as a cohesive unit and pay attention to small details.

2 Thank RMKate
Dear Ruchita,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

It is with great pleasure that I read of your contentment regarding the food. Chef Suardi and the team are thrilled to know that you found their dishes ‘amazing’. We make it our duty to please every of our guests by creating new innovating dishes that will delight their taste buds. I am even more delighted to read that you were able to experience the courtesy and attentiveness of the team. Your warm comments have been passed on to the team.

However we would like to apologize for the service you encountered during your stay. I would like to seize this opportunity to present my excuses for the disappointing standards.

I would like to point out that due to the limited space our garden is quite restricted however our free space are exploited to the maximum to provide beautiful green areas for our guests.

We have taken note of your comments and rest assured that we are doing an internal investigation to find out more about it. As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details.

Please rest assured that this is not our usual standard and that your comments have been passed on to the team so we can further improve and monitor our Angsana standards.

Again, I would like to thank you for your comments on our resort. I trust you had a safe trip back home and that we will be expecting another visit soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 October 2013

When we decided to get married in Mauritius, we shortlisted few hotels that met our needs, and contact them all. We chose Angsana Balaclava hotel without any doubt, and we felt right from the start that this hotel and his staff really felt what we need from our wedding.

We can't thank enough the wedding coordinator, Vanessa, who made our wedding to be really and truly the Wedding of our dreams!! Right from the start she was super friendly, kind and professional, and met our every single wedding related wish.

The whole Angsana staff was just amazing! At the reception, at spa, at dining area...

When we arrived we booked beachfront suite, and we were upgraded to Imperial villa, that was absolutely gorgeous! A a matter of fact, we got married in front of the villa, in its yard next to the beach and the pool! Vanessa and the rest of Angsana team took care of every single detail when it came to make the ceremony a pure perfection! They selected two wonderful musicians who sang and played our favourite songs, we couldn't ask for better musicians, they brought magic to the whole event! Kiss from a rose is still on my mind... :)

Photographer Arvin and cameraman Raj did wonderful job with photographs and video too.

The overall hotel looks stunning! Perfect for couples, it brings romance in its every step, ideal venue for the wedding and honeymoon! Tasty food in their restaurants, superb apartments, and also possibilities for other outside of the hotel activities.

All in all, 11 out of 10! We're truly impressed and super happy! Thank you one more time to Angsana team and they unlimited efforts to realize the Perfect Wedding!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Vesna and Enrico,

First of all congratulations on your beautiful wedding! We are immensely pleased that you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us.

Also, thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. I am delighted to read such warm comments on our resort.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. I am truly happy to read that you fully enjoyed you stay in the imperial villa. This palatial villa is ideal for travellers looking to experience the luxury of space and privacy.

Your kind comments have been passed on to Vanessa and the rest of the team. They are all absolutely thrilled to know that you had an incredible experience and dream wedding at the resort.

Our team is trained to be authentic, friendly, gracious and provide a service attitude that is above expectations and it is very encouraging to know that you were able to experience this with the Angsana Balaclava Mauritius team.

Again, I would like to thank you for your very kind comments on our resort. It was with great pleasure that we welcomed you and we sincerely hope to see you again very soon at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 16 October 2013

When I entered my beachfront suite (with a personal pool and Jacuzzi) instantly I knew that this was the best room I have stayed in. Amazing place
Only needs improvement in breakfast, particularly for vegetarians

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

4 Thank sandeepvaishya
Dear Valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking some time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. I am especially glad to know that during your business trip you were able to unwind and disconnect in your beachfront suite. I am pleased that you enjoyed the suite and its various facilities after a hard day at work.

At Angsana Balaclava Mauritius guests are spoilt for choice with our exotic Asian fusion menus as well as international European cuisine, authentic Creole food or even our piquant Indian cuisine. I sincerely hope you were able to enjoy those various dishes.

We have taken notes of your comments and we thank you as they will truly help us monitor and improve further our Angsana services and facilities.

I trust you had a safe trip back home and that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back at the resort.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 October 2013

All the staff in the hotel are very enthusiastic. For example, restaurant waiter afraid that I was cold to take my shawl. The waiter gave me mineral water beach. There is provided a speedboat to take us to the waiter. The service here is very thoughtful. The room is very clean and comfortable. Special thanks to Michelle for Chinese service. Whether the restaurant or the spa environment, all the hotel was very good. Full of birds' twitter and fragrance of flowers. To experience the most authentic Mauritius style here. A trip is very good, I think I will definitely come back here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a TripAdvisor comment following your stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. It is with great pleasure that I read your ‘amazing journey’ amongst us.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for a quiet and relaxing moment. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the sound of the birds chirping and the wonderful scent of our garden flowers.

Our team is trained to be authentic and provide service attitude that is above expectation and I am delighted that all staff were able to assist your needs. Your warm comments were passed on to Michelle and the rest of the team that has made your stay with us a great success.

I hope you had a safe trip back home and we definitely look forward to seeing you back at the resort.

Pascal Prigent.
worldwide
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at Angsana in the beginning of September 2013. We booked a beach villa and I had been hoping we would get one of the ground floor villas. We were given an upstairs, room 111 to be exact. It turned out to be the absolute best thing. There is so much more privacy upstairs, not that you risk intrusion on a constant basis at all in this gorgeous intimate part of Paradise.

We were well received by Kieran, with cold towels and a refreshing drink, given a gentle run down and then taken to our room. The room was stunning, really special. The bath hewn from stone and made for two, the hammam shower and we absolutely loved the showerhead in the shower. The bed slept super comfortable and the balcony with an oversized sofa for afternoon lazing was perfect. The splash pool got sun almost all day and it is set back far enough for a skinny dip so the rest of the world does not see you.

Staff was very good although waiting staff were a bit reserved for dinners and breakfast. We arrived on a Saturday night, which was buffet night, and it was not a bad buffet at all. After a long day flying though we were really not too hungry but I did get stuck on the curried seafood roti. Divine! Breakfasts were great with the choice of a cooked breakfast from the menu and the more Continental selection from the buffet. We were happy with the selection we had. Dinners were from a short a la carte menu that changed every day. We loved the variety, and I think keeping the menu short makes a difference for freshness and selection. The chef did a good job on meeting satisfaction on variety in dishes.

The beach itself is clean and well maintained. We never really sat on the beach as with that magic splash pool we were quite comfortable but we did observe the beach staff and they were very friendly and very attentive to those on the beach. The sea area is perhaps not my expectation of the Mauritius lagoon but this is in no way the fault of the resort and nature has her own way and here she has decided to put rocks and such. You could swim but it was not a great area for that however the usual boating fun activities could still be done like kayaking and pedal boating.

The package we booked included a beach dinner for our 23-year anniversary and we were set up and Makesh (???) took care of us brilliantly. We were rained on and moved to a secluded private and romantic area near the restaurant where we were serenaded by frogs and fed a lovely meal. This is a place I have no reservation recommending if you want quite and peace and romance. I hate the hustle and bustle of the big resorts and by no means do I want loud music and louder people. This peaceful resort that seems so at one with nature was wonderful.

The only gripes we had were for the entertainment that happened only on two occasions, the first night and then one morning they had a gent playing the piano at breakfast. It felt rather loud and cheesy and I suppose if you have seen Sega a few times well it is what it is. The other gripe was the cost of wine, goodness it feels like highway robbery. I am a chef and somewhat of a wine aficionado. To find a bottle of my favourite that I know costs $15-00 USD at home suddenly costing $150-00 US is just plain offensive and no matter how much any Mauritian resort tries to explain that it is equal to other resorts I say it is wrong on so many levels as it is an absolute act of robbery! The wine menu was extensive and I would also strongly encourage the chef and sommelier to include some recommendations of wine for dishes, not every one has a good understanding and to pay so much for a bottle of wine that could ruin a meal or in turn be ruined by a meal is not fair to a customer. The other area that we needed help in was figuring out how to operate the hot water tap for the glorious stone bath. It eluded us for a day but house keeping was happy to demonstrate the complexity of it and we used it happily. We also would have loved our bath salts to be refilled as we enjoyed the use of them immensely and perhaps housekeeping was a bit erratic in that department of what was replaced and what was not, as sometimes towels really needed to be replaced with dry ones but were overlooked.

Angsana is a true bit of paradise and we take some beautiful memories of our stay there and anticipate a return.

Room Tip: Upstairs beach villas have by far more privacy for a couple.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pawsandclaws
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Angsana Balaclava Mauritius and Congratulations on your 23 year anniversary!

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your stay at our resort. We are glad to hear that you had a satisfying moment.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. You definitely won’t miss the busy hustle and bustle of city life as you’ll be surrounded by calmness and serenity in our rustic surroundings.

Executive Chef Suardi and his team will be thrilled to know that you they were able to lure your appetite to enjoy our Mauritian buffet. The Angsana Balaclava Mauritius concept aims to provide the most delicious international cuisines as well as contemporary Asian Fusion cuisine. Chef and the team continuously pride themselves in creating a memorable culinary experience for each of our guest.

It is very encouraging to know that some of our associates went the extra mile during your stay. Our team is dedicated and always ready to make each guest stay special. Your gracious comments have been passed to Kiran and Mahesh as well as the rest of the team who take great pride in what they do. Moreover, they will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Once again we would like to thank you for your kind comments on our resort. I trust you had a safe trip back home and that we will be expecting another visit soon. It was a pleasure to have you stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Pascal Prigent.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,227 reviews
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort

Been to Angsana Balaclava Mauritius? Share your experiences!