“Best trip EVER!”

Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Went there on our honeymoon and it was the best holiday we've ever had. From the moment we arrived to the moment we had to leave (unfortunately), everything was beyond our expectations: the staff, facilities, food,... We stayed in a spa suite and had free massages nearly every day. We really felt special!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emilie S
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Emilie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your honeymoon at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. It is with great pleasure that I read of your ‘best holiday’. Our team is trained to be authentic, friendly, gracious and provide a service attitude that is above expectations and we are glad and proud that they were up to your standards. Rest assured that the message has been passed on to everyone that made your stay so special.

Emilie I sincerely hope that you had a safe trip back to the UK. It was a pleasure having you at the resort and we look forward to welcome you at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius in the near future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

accidentally we stayed at Angsana because we orginally booked at hotel next door Interncon whom messed up our booking when we arrive, they have no room for us. So put us in Angsana for just one night, we decided to stay at Angana after one night because the service was excellent, the staff are so nice to us. In the end we had best time we could ever ask for. The facility was very good, private, Loved the Spa was amazing.

look forward to go back again, thank you all staff at Angsana!

Room Tip: All rooms are very good, of course beach front is the best.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle L

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. It is with great pleasure that I read of your content during this short time.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation.I am even more thrilled to learn that you extended your stay with us.
Your kind words have been passed on to our staff and they are tremendously proud that you noticed their hard work and professional service.

I trust you had a safe trip back to Shanghai and that we will have the pleasure of seeing you at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius very soon.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel is part of the Banyan Tree group. It was a luxurious place, and we had a relaxing stay - it reminded me a lot of Baros resort in the Maldives. The food was excellent - I recommend getting the half-board package. Unfortunately we only were able to stay here one night as we had already booked another hotel, but I highly recommend it for anyone coming to Mauritius.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com
1  Thank thegypsyjetsetter
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for leaving a comment on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. I am thrilled to learn of your short but sweet stay at our resort.
Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. We are thrilled that you were able to unwind to a sense of calm and serenity surrounded by our lush garden and rustic architecture.

It is with great pride that we read of your comment and to know that we are compared to a heavenly Eden resort in Maldives is amazing. Our team is trained to be authentic, friendly, and gracious and to provide a service attitude that is above expectations. Your warm comments come and reward their hard work all throughout the year and for this, I would like to express our deepest gratitude.

I trust you had a safe trip back to London and that the festivities went well despite the windy weather. It was a great pleasure to have you stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius and we sincerely hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back very soon for longer vacation.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Our stay at the Angsana was truly wonderful. It was luxurious and the Service was very good. The staff really looked after you and catered to all of our needs. We went here for our honeymoon and it was very nice and intimate.
The food was lovely and they were very good with making other dishes as my wife is Vegetarian and they were always very accommodating. The suite we stayed in was really lovely and I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know coming to Mauritius. The facilities were amazing especially the spa treatments.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Bobby,

Thank you for taking some time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. It is with great pleasure that I read of your enjoyable stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. We are thrilled that as honeymooners you were able to unwind to a sense of calm and serenity surrounded by our lush garden and rustic architecture.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed chef Suardi’s cuisine. His team works hard to make sure every guest is completely satisfied during their stay. We are thrilled to learn that your wife enjoyed her various vegetarian dishes. Your warm comments have been passed on to the team and they look forward to embarking you and your wife on another culinary adventure very soon.

Moreover, I am glad that you were able to enjoy our Spa facilities and that you had a fulfilling experience. Our team is trained to be authentic, friendly, and gracious and to provide a service attitude that is above expectations. It is very encouraging to know that our staff went the extra mile to make your stay amazing.

Bobby, once again thank you for your positive comment. I trust that you had a safe trip back to London and that you are keeping nice and warm despite the low temperatures. We look forward to seeing you at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel has big problems, which is a shame as the rooms are beautiful. Firstly, the location will not be to everyone's tastes - it is along a dirt track in the middle of a sugar cane field and a long drive from most restaurants and towns.

It is owned by banyan tree who seem to be mainly aiming for the Asian market. The food is limited and not very appetising, mainly Asian infused, curries and a pasta dish. Personally I thought the food was of poor quality (I am a fan of Asian food) and chose to eat out almost every night, especially after eating the buffet on our first night which made me sick.

As pointed out in other reviews, this hotel has poor service. One evening we ordered dinner and the main course took one hour to arrive. When it did arrive it was the wrong order. The staff were polite and apologetic but the same thing happened the following evening.

The hotel is infested with flies, we were given various excuses by staff for this such as it is hot season (it wasn't -we visited in the Mauritian spring) or that they were attracted by fertiliser in the surrounding sugar cain fields. Eventually the hotel sprayed pesticide all around the grounds without warning and clouds of the stuff got into our hair and clothes. I took photographs of this.

Despite this spraying the fly problem continued the next day. We would be eating breakfast with flies constantly landing on our food, in our mouths and in our eyes. Certain parts of the hotel were no-go areas because the problem was so bad at certain times of the day.

We stayed at Paradise Cove for a week before our stay at Angsana and visited many other restaurants and bars but did not see a single fly so it is a problem specific to this hotel.

We also saw two rats - one in the courtyard while we were having dinner and one on the beach. Potential guests should also know that there are Mosquitos here too and myself and my wife were both bitten.

This is not a great hotel for beach and watersports. The sole extent of the free watersports seemed to be a small hut staffed by the surly teenagers mentioned in a previous review who loaned out snorkels. The small roped off swimming area is very murky and shallow with a lot of sharp coral so you are better off sticking to the pools.

There may have been more going on during our stay but there is room for improvement with regards to information - guests are simply not informed of activities. A page on the television informs you of daily events but it flicks off before you can read it and there is no way of pausing the page to read it properly.

Be warned that this hotel also adds a discretionary "green tax" to your bill for each day of your stay without asking. Upon checkout we asked what this was and the receptionist was not able to adequately explain so we had it removed. To be honest the green tax seemed a little ironic given the amount of pesticide they sprayed on the place in an attempt to stem the fly infestation. Whatever the green tax was it should be noted that VAT is charged on it, so it is a charge rather than a charitable donation.

I had one treatment at the spa - a Javanese massage. Which turned out to be a fairly basic normal massage, I asked for hard pressure but it was more like an off the rack Swedish massage so quite disappointing and soft. I pay less for a top quality massage in London on a regular basis and this was far from that.

The gym has a small range of good quality equipment - technogym - although the free weights stop at 12kg which is very low and there is no barbell. In addition two of the three running machines were out of order. Be warned that the spa staff have a habit of leaving the door open which means it gets hot in here and is rife with Mosquitos. I was bitten in here.

The hydro pool is good but the water is very cold as it's not constantly heated so it's not really comfortable to use.

If you do get stuck here my advice is to eat out even if you are half board as the food may make you sick and the wine and even water are extortionately expensive. We ate at the international cafe in trous aux biches about a fifteen minute taxi or drive away and the entire bill for food, wine, beers and dessert amounted to less than a single okay-ish bottle of wine at this hotel.

We did attempt to find a manager during our stay to give some feedback but whenever we went to reception he was not available to speak to.

All in all the best thing I can say about Angsana Balaclava is that we spent most of our time away from it. There are much better hotels nearby so I would opt for paradise cove which is cheaper and nicer or maritim which has better facilities - the horse riding and restaurant there are excellent. If you want a genuine five star experience steer well clear.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Riccitheraccoon
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

During your stay you noticed that there were quite a few flies. We have taken this issue very seriously and an investigation was under process during your stay. It could have been that you did not notice our efforts as we have been trying to deal with it in the most natural manner that will not cause any disturbance to our guests or the environment. I would also like to point out that it was the whole area of Balaclava that was affected by this problem. We had contacted local authorities concerning the issue and they resolved it in 2 days and it was due to wrongdoing in fertilizing some fields located approximately 250 metres from the resort. It is important that you note that we have not had any issues since mid- September.
Moreover, we fumigate the resort twice a week Monday and Friday and in every room the guests have available in their suite mosquitoes repellent to plug in.

Chef and his team are quite surprised to find out that you found there was just one type of food offered to you as every day, we offer a different menu to our guests every night. They work very hard every day to create new and innovating dishes to please each and every one of our guest. It is our greatest goal to make sure that our guests have a most enjoyable stay with us and I am sorry that we did not achieve our goal on this occasion.

As for the ‘Green Tax’ as you call it, is the Green Imperative Fund to protect the environment and empower the people around us. It is important to note that this fund provides critical financial support to individuals and organisations that share our green vision. A contrubition of US$ 1 per night is added to your bill however we do precise on the GIF star flyer that is placed in your room that if you do not wish to participate you can call the resort host anytime to let us know.

We would like to apologize for the service you encountered during your stay. I would like to seize this opportunity to present my excuses for the disappointing standards. As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details. Yours comments have been passed on to the team so we can further improve and monitor our Angsana standards.
I trust you had a safe trip back home.

A TripAdvisor Member
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our stay at the angsana was wonderful. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary there.
The staff were all so helpful and very happy to sort anything out. Nothing was too much trouble.the setting of the hotel is really beautiful in it's design and facilities. Our room a spa suite with a plunge pool was large with a lovely terrace looking out onto the pool area but still very private. The hotel was always relaxing and we especially loved the spa. I had 2 treatments, a facial and a body massage which were both professional but a very spiritual experience.
The beach was really well groomed with really comfortable sun loungers. The staff on the beach were really attentive and very friendly. Keshave would bring me my cocktail everyday with always a cheery smile, an asset to the hotel. Also Prithee (Mayuree) was always a delight when she waited on us at dinner in the evenings.She couldn't have been more helpful.
The food was excellent every evening with a lovely choice. I must compliment the chef on the presentation and the beautiful flavours.
Overall I would love to come back to the Angsana Balaclava and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Mauritius.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a positive and warm comment on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius!

Also congratulations on your 30th Pearl anniversary! We are glad that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. I am especially thrilled to know that your Spa suite was to your convenience and that you enjoyed the massages. Our Spa therapists are dedicated in making sure that our guests receive the relaxing experience they are looking for. It is with great pleasure that I hear that you had an excellent service. Rest assured that your warm comments will be passed on to the team.

I am glad that you made use of the beach and the sun loungers. They were surely of great use with the hot temperatures we’re currently having.

Chef Suardi and his team are delighted to learn that you enjoyed his cuisine and the beautiful flavours. The team works hard every day great appetizing menu’s and we are glad that you were able to experience a fabulous culinary journey.

Your kind comments have been passed on to everyone that has made your stay so special and it is without saying that we would absolutely love you have you back at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

we would like to share the experience to whoever would like to have an idea of the resort.From the very moment you step in ,the welcome from the entrance to our room ,the staffs are so professional that they can deduce your needs before you ask them . I wold not mention any of the personnel as I don't want to create frustration for missing anyone but i would point out that you are all fabulous guys.The room is very spacious and the pool is just exceptional , clean and fresh.
Just one slight adjustment to be done is the sea where there are to many rocks but here we had an option to get the big salty pool waiting for us ..The food is exceptional and properly served
No complaints and highly recommended

Room Tip: Beach front suites are unbelievable
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Millina,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a TripAdvisor comment following your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. I am glad to read that you experienced ‘perfection’ during your stay with us. It is with great pride that I read your comment and the wonderful experience you’ve had from check in to check out.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. We are thrilled to know that you were able to make the most out of our beachfront suite.

I am glad to say that all associates work hard every day at making sure all guests are fully content. It is great to read that you experienced the professionalism and standards of our resort. Our team is trained to be authentic, friendly, and gracious and to provide a service attitude that is above expectations. It is very encouraging to know that most of our staff went the extra mile to make your stay perfect.

Millina, once again I would like to thank you for your warm comment. Rest assured that they will be passed on to the team accordingly. It was a pleasure to have you at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius and we look forward to welcome you again.

Pascal Prigent

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to Angsana Balaclava Mauritius? Share your experiences!