“Excellent cozy boutique resort in the North West end of Mauritius”

Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Visited Angsana Balaclava in June and July 2014 and we were quiet amazed and had a wonderful experience and can say it is an upscale and relatively new resort. The rooms are spacious and tastefully appointed with extremely nice furnishings and decorations. I saw all the room categories and they all have good views of either the ocean with mountain range and Port Louis in the background or the garden. The rooms have different options such as private pool, Jacuzzi and steam bath. The facilities are well maintained and the gardens and the beach are well groomed and manicured. As we happened to be visiting in the winter season of Mauritius, the pool water at Angsana is not particularly warm in the morning and in the afternoon. We did most of the swimming during mid day. I got to point out that the winter of Mauritius is still very pleasant at the beach and pool. The GM also gave some good news once he heard my comments about "too cold to swim" and he suggested I stay another 2 weeks as the resort was in the process of installing the pool heater. I guess we will check this out on a future trip hopefully.

Service is excellent, very personalised and the managers and employees come out of their way to greet you whenever the opportunity arises. They all make you feel you are welcome in their resort and in Mauritius and they value our presence and business. Just to mention, I got the opportunity to meet the GM, the Managers ( F & B; Guest services etc) and the chef as well as the pastry chef and this is not something I have experience on the numerous trips I have taken in the Caribbean.

Food is worthy of a trendy and high end fine restaurants. Everything is fresh, delicately and perfectly cooked. The menu is varied from fish to meat and vegetarian as well as the style varies from local to European, French and to Asian and Asian fusion. Everything I have tried is mouth watering, without mentioning the nice and delicate deserts that are available every night. Breakfasts have not been a let down either. Day in, day out, I was able to feast on the fresh fruits, juices, miniature croissant, Danishes and the variety of egg styles, curry and purri, congee and noodles soon after I get up.

The award winning SPA is worth mentioning. My wife and I had a very good massage session and it is a unique experience "the Angsana way" with the whole atmosphere, treatment and surrounding to make you feel fresh and rejuvenated after. It is a must - don't forget to include this in your schedule and plan as the SPA works by appointment! Next to the SPA is a very decent GYM for the "want to keep fit" vacationers. We got the opportunity to try YOGA for first time and loved it.

To top it off the boat house is well equipped with equipment for snorkelling etc and we had the chance to do kayak, pedal boat, speed boat. We chartered a Catamaran and a speed boat to go towards the Coin de Mire island and this is wonderful one day experience and sea outing. As we had other friends joining us and we were a party of about 30 and we had a blast! I found out from the boat house staff that the resort will pretty soon be offering Catamaran dining and I am pretty sure this will be worthwhile experience also.

Nothing to complain and only good things to say and will go back without hesitation. Small but very comparable in many ways to the Four seasons Anahita which I got the chance to visit around the same time.

Room Tip: I found all rooms to be very adequate and all having nice views!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank 88michelc88
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Michel,

Greetings from Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your recent stay at our resort.

It is with great pride that I read of your comment regarding our property, associates and service. It truly warms our heart to read such kind comments all the way from Canada!

I am glad that you enjoyed your suite. Surrounded by tropical landscaping and lagoon pool views it definitely exudes a rustic charm and it is with great pleasure that I see you enjoyed it’s cosiness and great style.

I am happy to read that you made the most out of all the activities provided such as our Spa facilities. Our spa therapists are dedicated in making sure our guests receive the full essential pampering session they fully deserve. Rest assured that your warm comments have been passed on to the whole team.

Once again we would like to thank you for your gracious and encouraging comments. They will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Michel we most certainly await your next visit at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Wow! No words can describe my experience at this magical resort! First off..the resort is absolutely breathtaking! I came here with family and couldn't have picked a better place to stay. I stayed in the deluxe pool suite which was luxuriously furnished. The deluxe pool suite comes with a private relaxation pool which connects to the luxurious bathroom. The bed was comfortable and quality of sleep was great. Rooms are clean and properly maintained. The Angsana staff are all very hospitable, friendly and welcoming and will ensure that your needs are properly met. Food was delicious, Chef Suardi and his team did an excellent job. If you like to be pampered than you definitely should use the spa services available. This resort has a beautiful whirlpool, sauna and steam room available... I highly recommend you book a spa package if you come to this resort...their massages are definitely worth it! Angsana Balaclava is a magical place and will fulfil your fantasy dream holiday. If you want to relax and unwind this place is perfect for you! I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. I will definitely be back. A big thank you to the GM, Mr. Vamvakas who made our stay unforgettable!

2  Thank Vanessa C
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Vanessa,

Very Warm Greetings from Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Reading your comment was definitely heart-warming and it comes and congratulates all the hard work that the Angsana Balaclava team puts in everyday to make sure our guests have the full experience they deserve.

We are delighted that during your stay you were able to experience the various facilities we have at the resort.

Being an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details and we strive to create a memorable stay for our guests. Your kind comments have been passed on to the spa department and the therapists that made your stay ‘unforgettable’.

Vanessa we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back again at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius in the very near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at the Imperial Villa from the 1st of july until july. The Villa is beautifully designed and the rooms are luxuriously furnished. The kitchen is fully equipped with full appliances. Opening the curtains of the first floor was like opening the windows onto paradise. The full floor to ceiling patio opens onto a fully furnished terrasse with also opens up onto a jaccuzzi pool and a large swimming pool on the edge of the beach. The bathrooms were also another notable featuring a steamroom in one of the showers, a large modern bathtub and walking closets. My stay in this villa was amazing and I highly reccommend it! The staff was extremely helpful and polite. The waiters remembered our usual orders in the morning, all staff was always welcoming. Chef Suardi and his team would personally greet us (and his food was exceptional) as well as the GM, Mr. Vamvakas who would tour the hotel in the morning to make sure everything was alright. The hotel also offers a wide variety of activites that are free of charge! I made sure to kayak each morning to enjoy the beautiful view. Exceptional hotel, wonderful staff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank William Matthew Y

Dear William,

Warm Greetings from Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Situated on a secluded cove on the northwest coast of Mauritius and nestled in the scenic Baie aux Tortues, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius is a vivid illustration of an idyllic island getaway.

It is with immense pleasure that I read of your warm comments regarding your experience with us. The Imperial Villa was definitely a great choice as it overlooks the ocean and is enclosed by tropical gardens and a historical stone wall. The fully equipped two to four bedroom Imperial Pool villa with its three pools, three aqua jet pools, large private beachfront garden and generous living and dining area was ideal for your family getaway.

Chef Suardi and his team were delighted to have you and your family stay at our resort. The team works hard on creating new ideas and dishes each day to awaken our guests’ taste buds. It is very encouraging to know that you found our associates were friendly and professional.

William, rest assured that your warm comments have been passed on to all our associates that have made your stay exceptional and wonderful.
I sincerely hope that you had a safe trip back to Canada and we very much looking forward to seeing you and your wonderful family again at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is the best vacation resort I have had the opportunity to use with my family and be royally pampered . The place is gorgeous, the decor is just one of its kind, the villa with its room space is just remarkable, the location is great and the staff from the General Manager, the Executive chef, the F&B Mgr., the asst. F&B all the way to all the support staff have been outstanding, always ready to serve and help with a big smile. We could not have asked for more as truly, it would have been unreasonable on our part.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com
3  Thank Andre Y
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Andre,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following you recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.
It is without saying that your heartfelt comments about the property and our associates have been well received.

Angsana Balaclava Mauritius is a blissful paradise situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius. It reflects all that is uniquely Mauritian – the fusion of Oriental, Occidental and African cultural influences.

Having travelled 18 hours from Canada to Mauritius it is with great pleasure that we read of your pleasurable experience during your stay with us. As an exclusive intimate boutique resort, Angsana Balaclava places an emphasis on the attention to details.

Rest assured that your kind words have been passed on to Chef Suardi – Executive Chef , Nicolas – Food and Beverage Manager and Preetum – Assistant F and B Manager as well as to all our associates that have made your stay outstanding.

I trust you had a safe trip back to Canada and that we will have the pleasure of seeing you and your wonderful family again at Angana Balaclava Mauritius in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Love this hotel and the friendly staff from the minute I stepped in~! The weather in June is still pretty warm considering it is their winter. Coming from Canada I didn't notice too much of a difference and climatized easily as their winter felt like my summer..lol

Service, is awesome! From the minute you step in the friendly staff are welcoming and ready to make you feel at ease from your long flight. Service at the restaurant, bar and beach is very exceptional. The maid service is great and very thoughtful along with the evening turn in service. The evening turn in service is quite nice, it seems like the staff in charge of my hotel room knew my habits and behavior, which was very nice on their part. The restaurant dining is great, the food never disappointed! The chef is also friendly as he came around to say hi to everyone. The same with the GM as he also came around to say hi and check up on our stay, this is very nice and personable on their part. Overall, typical 5 star service with a genuine smile. Staff is friendly and very personable~! Do not hesitate to get to know the local Mauritians.

Value is great, you pay for what you get..... which is lots of “Awesomeness~!” The service is extraordinary along with the environment and beautiful aesthetics of the resort. You will not regret the dollar value you spend at this resort. The staff seem to perform their utmost best to keep their guests happy. Most likely if you are coming to Mauritius , money is not a major issue for you but at the same time for reassurance this resort will not disappoint~! : )

Sleep quality is great love the King size bed. Mattress is very comfortable along with the evening turn in service. I even fell asleep on my balcony & beach chair at times that's how peaceful and comfortable the ambiance is. Sleeping with the patio door open and the ocean breeze was just beautiful~!

As for cleanliness, this was not an issue at this resort, everything from the rooms and restaurants met my 5 star expectations in terms of cleanliness and hygiene. The towel service is also environmentally friendly. What is very thoughtful on their part is that they put laundry baskets in the bathrooms for when you want a towel change. Other resorts will tell you to leave them on the floor or bathtub, so much for those other resorts being "classy"

Rooms are great for honeymooners (winkwink) I only wish that I had my gf with me on this trip she would have definitely loved it! Men, if you are looking for a place to "wooo" your princess I highly suggest this resort, the rooms have nice amount of privacy and the ambiance is just right. It sets the mood with its design and architecture along with the decor a must see for yourself is the PRIVATE inifinity pool attached to the rooms for you and your significant other to share lol ;) But in all honesty if you like the finer things in life the rooms will not disappoint even if you are traveling alone.

Location is great not too far from Port Louis or Grand Baie. I took occasional day trips to either city to check the sites and sounds. Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, is definitely situated on the better side of the island if you are the exploring type! I have visited Anahita and Touessrok in the past and I felt so inconvenienced every time I had to travel back to the east side of the island. Driving in Mauritius can be difficult at night and having to travel great distances at night can be tiring on the eyes, therefore if you are going to be renting a car I would highly suggest staying at this hotel as it is centrally situated between Port Louis and Grand Baie.

Overall, the quality and service at this hotel is great. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a good time, honey moon, looking to impress a loved one, or even a simple business meeting or conference~!

All the best with your travels~!

3  Thank Drewysta

Dear Valued guest,

It is an immense pleasure to read your heart warming comment about our property.

Situated in the scenic northwest cost of Mauritius Angsana Balaclava Mauritius offers a melting pot of romance, relaxation and rejuvenation. It provides a vivid illustration of an idyllic island getaway and creates an ambiance of tranquility.

We put a lot of emphasies and attention to detail when it comes to maintaining the natural beauty surrounding our resort and I am particularly glad that you were able to notice the symbiosis we have with mother nature.

I am glad to say that all our associates work hard every day at making sure that all our guests are fully content. It is very satifying to read that you experienced the professionalism and high standards of our resort. Our team is trained to be authentic, friendly, and gracious and to provide a service attitude that is above expectations. It is very encouraging to know that our associates went the extra mile to make you feel like a ‘king’.

Rest assured that your warm comments have been passed on to all our associates and we very much look forward to seeing you again at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius in the future.

Perhaps in November or December when the Canadian temperatures would have dropped to minus decrees and the Mauritian summer would have started to kick in at 30 degrees minimum. We look forward to this!

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here or a week as part if our honeymoon in August 2013- we were slightly concerned that the weather may not have been as warm as we would like as it is the Islands winter, however after much research and conflicting opinions we decided to book and take the chance. We should not have worried as the weather was beautiful. Sunbathed everyday! We went in the pool and the sea with no issue. We had a room with pool which looked amazing, first floor with amazing views if the sunsets, however the pool is not heated and as it's winter is absolutely freezing. We both got in but got quickly out! The rooms are wonderful and staff do their upmost to make everything special. The food at this resort is wonderful, the chef is from Bali and creates beautiful food. Our rep said don't pay for trips to see dolphins as they don't visit this part of the island, however that is rubbish! I wouldn't pay for a trip as the resort as it's own boat that staff take visitors out on. We saw dolphins every time. Fantastic to see them in the wild. Ps - you won't be disappointed with the sun sets- different every night!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank joyandnick
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Joy,

Warm Greetings from Angsana Balaclava Mauritius!

First of all thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind comment regarding your stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius last year. We are delighted that you still remember your fantastic experience nearly 1 year after your stay.

This blissful paradise of ours is situated on a secluded cove on the northwest coast of Mauritius and nestled in the scenic Baie aux Tortues. I am happy to learn that you were able to enjoy the various facilities we have available to our guests and that you were able to make the most of the pools, sea and sun during the month of August 2013.

Chef Suardi and his team are pleased that you enjoyed their culinary delights and they are looking very much forward to seeing you again very soon for more gastronomic adventures from around the world. Your kind words come and reward the hard work each associate puts in everyday and we would like to sincerely thank you.

Joy and Nick we would like to welcome you back at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius whilst enjoying the wonderful Mauritian sun set and sipping on your favourite cocktail. We look forward to this!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

From the warm welcome at an early hour to our departure the entire team of staff at Angsana Balaclava could not have been more lovely. The management, reception staff, waiting staff, bar staff, cleaning staff, maintenance staff, etc... were all courteous, efficient and attentive without being intrusive.

The room was wonderful! Very spacious, well equipped, homely and relaxing. And we had an entry level garden suite. We particularly liked the way the sliding doors opened fully onto a large sea/pool view balcony with very comfortable sofa style seating as well as the standard table and chairs.

The grounds are beautiful, well tended and calm. We only left the hotel on two occasions. Once to have a stroll up the beach where we found larger but far less impressive hotels. And secondly to take advantage of the free glass bottom boat. It cruises over the coral and gives a fine view of the many fish and other fascinating critters that live in those waters. There are many other activities available too. Kayaking. Snorkelling. Windsurfing. Sailing. Diving. Or maybe just a pedal on a pedalo.

The facilities are fantastic for a small hotel. 2 large pools. Comfortable poolside and beach lounging. Swim-up bar, cocktail bar and waiter service. Poolside, indoor, terrace and garden dining. And room service (if you really must??)

The food was delicious. From the wide variety served at breakfast (noodles or rice may sound unusual to many an Englishman but I thoroughly recommend them) to the delicious, beautifully prepared and presented evening meals. There was plenty to choose from each night from many continents and over 10 nights I do not recall anything on the menu ever being repeated.

We often say that we would return to a hotel we’ve stayed in but on this occasion we very probably will... We might try a pool or beachfront suite next time.

Highlights of a typical day. A breakfast of virtually anything you could want. Relaxing by the pools or on the beach. Swimming in the pools. A drink at the swim-up bar. Watching an amazing weaver bird make its nest. Paddling in the warm Indian ocean. Stunning sunsets. Enjoying time in the room or on the balcony. Creating your own cocktails. A delicious evening meal followed by a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TeamBabaloo
Angsana Balacla... M, General Manager at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a Trip Advisor comment following your recent stay at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius. It is with immense pleasure that we read of your heart-warming comments regarding the property and our associates.

Nestled in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava Mauritius with its 52 suites, offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your 72 square meter Garden Suite. Surrounded by tropical landscaping and lagoon pool views it definitely exudes a rustic charm and it is with great pleasure that I see you enjoyed it’s cosiness and great style.

Chef Suardi and his whole team are delighted to know that you enjoyed their various dishes perfectly and freshly prepared during your 10 day stay with us. The team works hard at making sure that all guests receive the full culinary experience they deserve. Your warm comments come and reward their hard work all throughout the year and for this, I would like to express our deepest gratitude.

Our team is trained to be authentic and provide a service attitude that is above expectations.
Your warm comments have been passed on to all our associates that made your stay special ‘relaxing and luxurious’.

I trust you had a safe trip back home and that we will soon have the pleasure to welcome you back at Angsana Balaclava Mauritius.

Ilias Vamvakas

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to Angsana Balaclava Mauritius? Share your experiences!