What was supposed to be a "second honeymoon” wasn't as romantic or as peaceful as we'd hoped.
Angsana Balaclava advertises itself as "...designed ideally for couples and honeymooners" and this is what attracted us to it.
However, this is not necessarily true.
Whilst we were there, children were running amok in the restaurant both at breakfast and dinner times, as well as around the pool area during the day.
One evening when my husband and I were trying to enjoy a "romantic" dinner, I had to ask the maître d' to talk to a parent whose child was literally bashing cutlery on his/her plate. In the end I talked to the mother and she said there was nothing she could do and advised the child would just pick up another set if she took the other away. Hmmm.
A newlywed couple doesn’t necessarily want to hear the wails of a baby coming from another table, when they're relishing the first stages of their wedded bliss. That is yet to come ☺
On a positive note, Angsana is a beautiful hotel, with great food and attentive staff. They were always there to help (sometimes even to a point where they were “over” attentive) and were most obliging, even changing our second floor room to an upper floor room, for added privacy and quiet (upon request).
I had the luxury of experiencing the Vayu Shanthi 180 minute treatment. It was nothing less than awesome with the therapist knowing exactly what to do and making it a lovely experience. Do know that between 9am – 3pm you can receive a 30% discount, which was a great surprise, as it’s definitely not a cheap treatment.
Whilst one cannot deny the right of entry to people with children, Angsana must make up its mind whether it is going to cater for "couples and honeymooners" or families with children. If it wants to cater for both, no problem, but please let your potential clients know so they can make an informed choice.
All in all, it was a pleasurable experience, but to be frank, if we’d known we would have to listen to the ruckus of children for four days, we would probably have chosen somewhere else, especially when we were paying a significant amount of money for the pleasure of the “exclusivity”
Oh, and if you go wanting to use the beach, note that it is quite small and doesn't cover a great expanse. The pool area is pleasant with one heated pool, the other of normal temperature.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northwest coast of Mauritius, in the secluded area of Turtle Bay, Angsana Balaclava offers a hideaway ideal for travellers looking for privacy and relaxation. Angsana Balaclava is the island’s premier boutique resort – the latest 5-star resort on the Mauritian landscape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Southall Travel, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Angsana Balaclava Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angsana Balaclava Hotel Balaclava
- Angsana Balaclava Mauritius