This was our third visit to Mauritius, first to Maritim. Flight with Air Mauritius was worst for many years, very cramped indeed. Welcome was fine and suitcases taken to our rooms. Rooms were pretty faultless, exceptionally clean and comfortable and the room staff excellent all week. The hotel was full as it was close to Easter and therein lay a few problems. All sunbeds around the pool are 'reserved' VERY early and frustratingly not in use for good deal of day. The hotel has put up notices saying it will remove items if beds are not used after a period of time, but I dont think this is enforced. It is a lovely pool but when we were there there were alot of children and a couple of large families there together who took it over shouting at each other and playing ball games. After a day we retreated to the beach and my word what a beach....go quite a way along to outside the resturant and it is beautiful, quiet and a real pleasure. Drink service is by flag and quite good. The sea is warm with small waves.
One thing we greatly enjoyed is the very limited lunch menu for the all inc guests at the beach resturant. When you arrive you are told that you have a allowance there so most people seem to go to the buffet. This may be true but there is also a special all inc menu. The first day at the beach resturant the waitress asked if we were all inc and told us we would be much better off at the buffet. Persist and sit down. It is right at the waters edge, the food is great on the whole and drinks all inc too. You can while away a couple of hours drinking and having a served lunch as opposed to a quick one in the hot buffet up at the hotel. One of the problems is the house wine - we drink most wine and regularly buy the special offers in UK supermarkets but all the house wine had a very blue cheese smell and was about the worst wine I have ever had. The other problem was service in the buffet in the evening. After one night of no tables and no service we did complain and it did visibly improve. Several of the waiting staff seem to have little idea and just getting a knife, fork and spoon let alone a drink is a real feat. The food at the buffet is fine, we ate all meals at the hotel as did my children, we drank the beer and ate salads and never had any type of stomach problems as other reviewers.
For us the hotel was too big. We arent adverse to slow service whilst on holiday but this was a bit like faulty towers in the buffet at night. There were a few weddings whilst we were there although why couples want to get married a few metres from the pool with a crowd of people in their swimsuits watching baffles me. We have stayed in many five star hotels around the world and I would say this was expensive in comparison to others. Would I return - no. We loved the beach and rooms, but the service and wine let the hotel down. Shame as they could easily be put right. Mauritius has some of the best hotels in the world, but the Maritim is not one of them at the moment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travelbag, Priceline, Agoda, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava