My wife and I returned yesterday (13/04/12) from a 10-night stay at the Maritim Hotel in Mauritius. We had booked it on an all-inclusive basis through Virgin Holidays and this hotel is rated as 5 star on their website. All in all we had a lovely holiday. It could however so easily have been a perfect one with a little more attention to detail. The accommodation in a prestige room was superb. The hotel facilities including the wonderful spa area and the swimming pool were all excellent and all fully deserve their five star rating. The staff was always extremely friendly, helpful and obliging. Top marks for all that.
However, unfortunately what badly lets this otherwise superb hotel down, is the general level of the food quality in both the Belle Vue and La Maree restaurants and the inconsistent level of service, which depends entirely on the member of staff who is actually serving you. I am not including the meal we had at the excellent Chateau Mon Desir in this criticism. Here the food and the service were of the highest standard but we did pay an additional high price for this. This is a five star hotel, which as far as the Belle Vue and La Maree restaurants are concerned, offers barely four-star food standards. After only two dinners (evening) in the Belle Vue at the start of our holiday, we gave up on it as the food looked unattractive and tasted accordingly. Poor presentation, chewy steaks, boney meat, where not expected, empty serving pots persuaded us to try our luck at La Maree. The highlight at the Belle Vue had been the Sushi Bar, which was good. We then had most of our meals afterwards at the very beautifully situated La Maree restaurant. Here the general standard of the meals was best described as "hit and miss". It was consistent in its inconsistency and obviously depended on which chef was on duty and whether he was suitably motivated or not to produce good standard food. We had some very acceptable meals and some really atrocious ones. The main culinary crimes committed were the absolutely appalling serving of a "blanquette" of veal dish, where the meat was so chewy and rubbery, you could not break it down with your teeth. The extremely helpful, obliging and genuinely pleasant duty manager Neal could not even break down these offending pieces of meat with a fork and immediately warned friends of ours that they should avoid the veal, which they duly did. Neal then did his very best to put things right by organising a delicious replacement meal of fillet steak. The other culinary crime towards the very end of our holiday was when I had the misfortune to order the starter of carpaccio of Australian beef. As most people, except this particular 5-star? chef realise, carpaccio of beef should consist of very finely cut slices of raw beef. Unfortunately this was not the case. The plate arrived with quite thickly cut large pieces of raw beef covered with a few Parmesan cheese scrapings and some lettuce on the side. There was absolutely no finesse about it at all. At this level, 5 star, presentation is a very important element of the meal and generally your chefs do not seem to have a clue in this area. Consequently, it looked extremely unappetising and indeed it tasted so!! It looked like something that Rover would have been very pleased to see in his bowl, i.e. a dog’s dinner!! Certainly not the normal production of a 5 star rated kitchen. It was an utter disgrace and I ask myself what kind of quality control is actually exercised by these so-called chefs. A decent chef worth his money would never have allowed the disgusting veal meal and the carpaccio dish to ever leave his kitchen and be presented to the customer. This is what is so desperately wrong at La Maree. They have the aspirations to produce 5 star standard cuisine but unfortunately have employed some chefs who do not have the knowledge / experience / desire / ambition to raise their game to this level or indeed are far too stubborn to do so!! I am sure that these two meals would have even embarrassed a chef at "Joe’s Motorway Café" had he had them served to his customers.
Other constant little annoyances at meal times were the need always to ask the waiter to bring butter to accompany the provided bread. It was never done automatically as a matter of course. On one occasion glasses were brought empty to the table to hold mineral water, which was brought eventually several minutes later. A bit of training of in particular the younger, less experienced waiting staff would definitely be of benefit here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Travelbag, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava