“Fantastic honeymoon”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Cheltenham
“Fantastic honeymoon”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My wife and I recently returned from Mauritius where we spent our honeymoon at the Maritim Hotel. We wanted to stay somewhere that was extra special to mark the occasion and we were not disappointed with the Maritim!

Cold towells on arrival and a room upgrade too which was fantastic, it overlooked the sea and the river, had an enormous bed and bathroom, a big private balcony and was very very comfortable for our needs.

The hotel itself is set in 25 hectares of really nice gardens and we found the staff extremely friendly and attentive at all times - the beach service on all inclusive is simply wonderful!!

The food was very very good at all 3 restaurants and we particularly enjoyed dining out at the Chateau mon Desir one evening.

There's loads of things to do be it archery or para sailing, live entertainment in the evenings and we also treated ourselves to a treatment at the spa which is set in beautiful surroundings although I'm not sure I'd recommend the bamboo massage!!!!!!

Overall, I'd say this hotel was exactly what we were looking for for our honeymoon and we enjoyed every second of it. The only downside was our sun lounger on the balcony was never fixed (not a big deal) it was cloudy for 2 days and I didn't get to play golf!!!! Next time!!

Saul & Natalie

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Saul M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Solihull
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A great resort, on beautiful grounds. Very hard-working staff, who do their best to make it a lovely stay. Nice room with a lovely view. Loads of things to do, all included in the price. A beautiful spa which is free to use as well. Only complaint is that we found out after several days of eating it that the chicken is halal. It's annoying that they snub those of us who can't eat halal food in favour of one religious group who prefer it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank si909
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Just returned from the Maritim 16th April. Overall the hotel was fantastic, clean, great rooms and the grounds were magnificent. There were 6 of us travelling together and we requested by e.mail for the rooms to be near each other and in a quiet area. Our request was met completely(thank you Antje) The staff were all brilliant and could not help you enough. Thank you Laxman for looking after us and providing the sparkling wine each morning. A big thanks also to Mithun,Deven and Kayita in the Belle Vue. We all thought that the hotel could improve with the food certainly not 5* and we have eaten in lots of hotels throughout the world. A very romantic setting!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michael B
Chester
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We have just returned 18/4/2012 from a 10 day stay at the Maritim, and I can only say I have never had such mixed reviews on any hotel I have stayed in before so I will start with the good points:
The hotel & the grounds are beautiful - 5 * quality as I expected & paid for.
We up graded our room (room 114) for a little more size/comfort, well worth doing the room was both spacious and very clean & comfortable with fantastic views
The Spa was well equipped and a lovely touch from Virgin - free massage
Lovely to have the stables & Tortoise sanctuary on site
PADI Diving centre was superb- staff extremely friendly. As divers I can not recommend the centre enough
Entertainment/singers were very good
Beach staff/service generally good
Water sports/Boat house good
Mon Desir - excellent food & very enjoyable but could be an expensive addition to some peoples holiday- starters average £23
The BAD points:
The hotel is seriously let down by a number of things mainly service:
The food in both the Belle Vue & La Maree restaurant are not up to 5* standard:
Belle Vue has themed nights the International night being the best for quality the Sea Food being the worse- Sea food conjures up the thoughts of prawns, mussels, Lobster as I have always had in other 5* all inclusive restaurants but NO there was not a prawn, mussel & certainly no Lobster in sight there was however oysters (I did not partake) but apparently there was a limit of 3! since when has there been a limit to what you can eat at a 5* hotel. Service was awful most of the time really amateurish, Not what I expect in a 5* hotel
La Maree- A La Carte -beautiful setting but let down once again by the service on most visits. The food was average but defiantly better than the Belle Vue hence we ended paying the extra & eating here after 7 days as the food in the Belle Vue wasn't getting better.
The La Maree claims to be a fish restaurant but I had fish on 2 occasions and both were over cooked. This should never happen in a 5* fish restaurant with a 5* chef.
Although it is A La Carte restaurant, on our final night even though we had booked & after we had placed our order from the menu we were told we had to eat buffet food.We asked why to be told they had a big corporate party coming in & we would have to eat what they had. When we said that wasnt acceptable & refused to accept this the Restaurant manager offered a small choice of things the Chef could do that night- Fish soup & Veal !! Not my recollection of a 5* A La Carte restaurant more a school canteen!!! Finally after a lot of complaining we went over the the Mon Desir
This is typical of the problems of the hotel, bad training from Management level to staff level.
The bar service was equally erratic- some staff were superb but this was defiantly the minority. We repeatedly had to ask for your drinks more than once both in the bar & the restaurant, usually with an average wait time of 15 mins but we did wait up to 45 mins on one occasion, this soon started to grate on your nerves. At first I was hoping it was me adjusting to chill out time but it became evident it was once again lack of training example: 7 members of the staff behind the bar & no guests waiting yet it took 15 minutes for someone to pick up & address the order the beach staff had put down.
I did complain to Eric (assistant manager & the Virgin Rep mid week - to be told that this week had been constant complaints about the food & service. The Assistant Manager did assure me he was addressing the problem and I truly hope they are because this hotel has the making of a beautiful 5* star hotel but presently the service would seriously struggle to compete with a 3*. I have had & get better service in a local pub.It is too late to make my holiday everything it should have been & what I have become accustomed too from a 5* but I hope they make the improvements needed for the future guests.

Room Tip: Prestige rooms well worth up grading too
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Paula B
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

After reading some of the previous reviews about poor service we were a little reluctant to book the Maritim. I’m reasonably laid back but one of my pet hates is having to wait for a drink at the bar (or after having placed your order with table service). We took the ‘all inclusive’ option that is very comprehensive and covers many things that are not normally covered such as beer and wine out of the minibar and even bottle of bubbly over dinner.

Mostly the service we received was excellent. Yes there were a few occasions when your bar order had to be chased but there were also many incidences that I got ‘told off’ for trying to refill a wine or water glass at dinner, being told that is ‘what we are here to do’.

All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and go out of their way to ensure your stay is as enjoyable as possible and make you feel special.

We had ‘Privilege’ room (317) and it was very comfortable with a fantastic sea view.

There are three restaurants in the resort.

‘Belle Vue' Main Restaurant: this is the main buffet restaurant. This restaurant was themed each evening and the food was always varied and great quality. To be honest we mostly used ‘Belle Vue’ only for breakfast but that had nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the food or service.

‘Château Mon Désir' À-la-carte restaurant – this is the posh restaurant located in the hotel grounds. We enjoy fine dining but even though it was my birthday during our stay we never felt we wanted such a ‘formal’ meal.

‘La Marée' Beach Restaurant – Now this is where we ate most lunchtimes and evenings. The restaurant manager Neel was always charming and most accommodating. Be mindful that you need to book a table in the evening. After our first few evening is this restaurant we made a block booking for the rest of the holiday. A relaxing environment to finish off each day, the food is all freshly cooked and the staff extremely attentive.

A few must’s.

• Make sure you have holiday insurance !
• Most Saturdays there is horse racing in Port Louis, don’t take the expensive organized trip. Just get a taxi (taxis aren’t cheap – expect to pay about £50 round trip). Ladies get in free – what a fantastic experience. This is the oldest racecourse in the Southern hemisphere and its location between the city and the mountains is amazing. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. Take a day away from the beach and make the effort, you wont be disappointed.
• Take a walk through the hotel grounds and up by the waterfalls. I suspect most guests at the hotel are unaware how beautiful the hotel surroundings are.
• Make a point of getting to know some of the bar staff – drinks will flow a little more easily.
• Go horse riding – the horses in the stables are mostly ex race horses and are well looked after. Deepak took great care of us as we are not experienced riders but we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
• Take a walk up to see the giant tortoises. You are allowed to get in with them.
• Make full use of the inclusive watersports. The guys at the boathouse are very helpful. We went kayaking, and sailing in both the Lazers and Hobbycats (I managed to capsize one of the Hobbycats putting my partner in hospital for the day ! My own fault entirely. The staff at the boathouse and the hotel were fantastic. Special thanks to the hotel nurse – she was extremely attentive)
• The guys at the dive shop were equally helpful. A well-run and professional dive operation, so if you scuba dive pay them a visit.
• Go Skydiving – yes, skydiving – Google ‘skydive mauritius’ – what an experience and certainly the highlight of our holiday. This is a MUST !
• Take a day to see the sights on the island. Organising your own taxi for the day is cheaper and more comfortable than the organized trips.

Taxis’s are not cheap but we used the services of Jay Lallbeharry (mobile 256 1610) – highly recommended. Experienced and careful driver, he knows the island well.

In conclusion, I would certainly recommend this resort. I am never one who wants to go back to somewhere I have been before, but I have to say I do hope I am lucky enough to stay at the Maritim again. A big thanks to everyone at the hotel that made this such a memorable holiday.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Crampster
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The hotel and its grounds and facilities were really very good - lots of good activities free of charge and access to a shuttle service in the form of golf buggies driven by staff to get you around. The staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome and nothing was too much bother. They were great with our 3 year old and made sure he was enjoying himself. Half board was good value as only a very light lunch was needed after a big buffet breakfast (crepes, waffles and eggs cooked to order were brilliant) followed by a big buffet dinner with a different theme every night (go for the freshly cooked food or roasts and if the ice-cream is too runny, they will get you some fresher and firmer scoops from the kitchen - even vanilla if you don't like the coconut on offer!). Watch out for the relatively expensive buffet lunch if you are half board. Some minor disappointments for a five star - only white bread for toast, limited lunch and dinner options for children (unless they like oily bland chips), mould in the shower in our room, shower door that let out a lot of water onto the bathroom floor, uncomfortable sofa bed, UK plug on the kettle but no UK powerpoint, poor lighting for reading, no clock or radio, cost of room service not clear with a hidden tray charge).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Bocci73
Alton, Hants
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Due to a hectic summer of Olympics and exam results, we decided to take a holiday in February to Mauritius. Arriving rather dishevelled at the tail of a cyclone we received the most friendly of welcomes at The Maritim. The staff were so warm and kind that they even apologised for the cyclone. Thjroughout our stay the Maritim team were marvellous. The standard of our prestige rooms was excellent. Large and spacious and even the air conditioning managed to cope with 24 hour temperatures of 32 degrees plus. Fore an all-inclusive package, the food and drink were of very good standard. Branded drinks and lots of local produce esecially the fish. On the activity front, there were plenty of watresports most of which were free. My only slight gripe would be the limited evening entertainment although the guy would played in the bar three times a week was superb. Overall. Great hotel, long flight (with 3 kids) and February can rain but don't let that stop you

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tony-Alton_Hants
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!