We stayed at the Maritim for our honeymoon for 9 nights in June. Located in Balaclava area on the West coast, we choose this location to be away from the main tourist area and close to Port Louis. This hotel has the Oberoi and Intercontinental on each side so this is a top notch location, but does not have any additional local restaurants near the hotel that you can walk to - all attractions are within driving distance. The hotel grounds are stunning. You can walk through the gardens and ruins to the waterfalls by the river, or along the beach past the other hotels to get a view of the sun setting over the stunning rocks and over to Port Louis.
We decided to take the all inclusive option due to what we knew about the local area and as the package sounded good. We have stayed all inclusive before, but it is not our first choice, however, this hotel and the package for all inclusive was superb.
The hotel was exceptionally clean - all the toilets and showers in the communal areas were constantly cleaned throughout the day. Our room was always cleaned and then had a turn down service which gave additional towels and water when required. If you are all inclusive, then most of the drinks in the mini bar are included in your package!!
The hotel has a European feel, due to the number and mix of European people staying at the hotel. The staff at the Maritim are local, all speak English and many other languages. The staff here are amazing. The service from everyone from Reception to the cleaning and maintenance staff is exceptional. The hotel asks you not to tip directly to the hotel staff and we were not pestered by staff waiting for tips, but you can give tips at the end of the holiday to specific people via the tip box which we did.
Room - we had a prestige room, which had ample space. It was a room that had not yet been refurbished, but everything was perfect in the room. Big room with plenty of space and a balcony and amazing bathroom.
Food - we ate at all the restaurants. The al a carte restaurant we felt was over rated and expensive for the food. We had a complimentary meal which was lovely, but we were charged £5 for a bottle of water - not the end of the world, but worth noting that the drinks were not part of the all inclusive option.
The main restaurant and bar is excellent. Breakfast, lunch and dinner options are plentiful and excellent quality - you should always be able to find fresh, quality food for anyone's taste. We thought the Mauritian buffet evening was superb. We know a lot of other people went hungry that night, but the local cuisine is delicious, not spicy and brilliant if you are a vegetarian. If you do stay here and think you only like 'English' food, try the international food here - it will change your mind!
The beach restaurant - La Meree is amazing! The lunch menu is part of the all inclusive package and you can have steak, pasta, salads all amazing quality and with impeccable service.
The beach service is brilliant. Considering the number of people the staff have to look after each day, the service is top notch.
Activities - most of these are included in the package but the hotel will try to book certain activities on certain days so be aware that you may need to be flexible on when you want to do things. Archery, horse riding, mini golf and golf are all brilliant.
The spa is top quality - the best hotel spa we have ever been to. It may be expensive, but booking a treatment here really is a special treat. The sauna, steam and pool area are all open to all inclusive hotel guests to use free of charge.
We spent all our time on the beach and not at the pool. There is coral in the sea so take care in the water.
Overall this was an amazing hotel. I know people will think we say this as it was a honeymoon, but the hotel location and staff made the trip extra special.
I would advise people to get out of the hotel if they can and go the surrounding areas as there are lots of beautiful places around the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava