“Wonderful Holiday”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Sweeping up the drive through the hotel’s 25 hectares of stunning gardens we knew that this was going to be something special. No standing in a line at a reception desk, we were warmly greeted and ushered to a comfy sofa against a backdrop of the sea and palm trees. After inviting us to relax and enjoy an iced tea we were advised that we had been upgraded – no explanation, but gratefully received.

Every member of staff, whether cleaner, manager, gardener or pool attendant greeted us in such a special way by touching their heart with their right hand making eye contact, smiling followed by a slight bow of the head. It only took a moment but that moment always felt special. The world may be a better place if we all took that moment to notice and appreciate one another.

The weather forecasts had all been a bit grim – thunder, showers, a recent cyclone etc. The weather was perfect.

Wherever you went in the hotel it always felt peaceful – whether you were at the beach, in a restaurant or in a bar – you always felt you had lots of space – the place was designed to encourage you to relax and leave any cares behind you.

A favourite spot was the bar and restaurant on the beach, simple and beautiful and a perfect spot for a cocktail and to watch the ever changing, canvas of the sky at sunset. Need to book the restaurant.

Definitely take suitable footwear to wear in the sea.

Clarify on Day 1 what is included in your package. Literature said breakfast at La Maree was included if in a Prestige room but we had to pay a supplement (possibly because w were upgraded)' still worth it though

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a Prestige room-lovely. On same level as reception, balcony and views of the sea...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lilly109
Write a ReviewReviews (3,612)

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Jan 2013 for our wedding and honeymoon. It was just perfect! We booked through virgin as we also wanted to book our wedding. Everything about the resort was brilliant. The food at the buffet restaurant was ok. Enough variety but we only stayed a week so it might get repetitive after a while. Staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Excursions are quite pricey but the lion walk and interaction with cubs well worth creating unforgettable once in a lifetime memories! We couldn't have asked for more on our wedding day. Although there was intermittent rain on the other days we had great weather on our wedding day. The beach gazebo was set up beautifully. In the evening we chose to have a "magic moment" dinner on the jeti which was so romantic and well worth the money. The beach restaurant La Maree has great food, especially if you choose the fish market which not everyone knows about. It's every evening and you can choose freshly caught fish, lobster, giant prawns etc. and then how it will be cooked. Delicious! The resort is massive! There's lots to do within the all inclusive package and you can also do parasailing at an extra charge. The only things we didn't love: the sand was very coarse, not at all smooth but that's no ones fault! Silly people Reserving sun beds by the pool ALL DAY but not actually being there and also, wedding photography could have been a lot better! We were asked to do the same poses in different places and it just got very repetitive. Other than that, if you're thinking of going to Mauritius, it's a beautiful place and would definitely recommend the Maritim! And as for virgin, I wouldn't bother booking a wedding with them. Poor service prior to departure.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KristinaP2107
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the Maritim in February 2013, i had never holidayed in Mauritius before, whereas he had stayed at the Shandrani hotel in the south.
We paid for the all-inclusive package with Virgin Holidays (who recommended this hotel) and we absolutely loved our stay.
As this was my first time visiting Mauritius and my partners second time, this hotel had a lot to live up too, and it completely exceeded our expectations.
All staff are wonderful and very friendly making our stay even more enjoyable.
We attended events at the hotel and made use of all the available facilities which were included in the all-inclusive package.
There are absolutely no faults to say about this hotel we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be going back.
Thank you to all the staff who made our stay a holiday to remember, i feel privileged to have stayed in Mauritius and grateful for my first experience of seeing Mauritius and its beauty.

See you again soon room 269 - Robinson

Room Tip: We stayed in the Privilege room which is the cheapest and found this superb. We were on the ground f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tinkerbell539
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I honeymooned here for 10 days in January 2013 and had a lovely time. For anyone thinking of visiting Mauritius at that time of year, expect some rain. It rained a few days while we were there but it just was not a problem - the bar is sheltered and the rain is warm and soon passed by - so who cares??

The grounds are large and vary from beachfront to riverside and the gardens themselves are huge compared to other hotels I have stayed in.

We had a Priviledge room and it was exactly as it looks on the website. The cleaners were very good and the room was spotless every day.

We booked the All Inclusive package because the drinks were very expensive indeed if you didn't. As part of the AI package you get a minibar that you can help yourselves to but you should check the in-room drinks menu to check what is included in the AI package. There were only a couple of items that weren't. The drinks were fine, the beer was good and the flavoured Mauritian rum is a must-try.

The AI food was presented buffet style and it took a while to get used to putting a proper meal together and I found it much more helpful to read the menu before choosing my food. That may seem a bit obvious but I have never had to do that before at an AI but there were some food combinations that we don't eat together that much in the UK. I did find the food plentiful, tasty and good quality but a little less varied than other AI deals I have had. There were plenty of snacking opportunities if you needed them including beach service which was great if you used it. It was quicker to get drinks from the beach waiters than it was to walk to the bar and wait to be served.

Entertainment wise, there was so much to do in the day time and included in the AI package is water-skiing as well as the usual non-motorised water activities. I would recommend trying the kayakking. The evening entertainment was a bit dull - all the singers seem to roll out the same easy-listening classics which got very boring. It was ok for background music though. There was a dance show that was very good and one group ventured to tackle a bit of Pink Floyd which made a welcome break. On the whole, I would say the entertainment is aimed at the middle-aged and upward.

Most of the hotel staff are friendly and helpful and most of the time the service was good. I found it much easier to get good service in the restaurant if we took our meals early rather than leave it until much later when we had to go hunting for a place setting or for a drink. I also annoyed when I politely "waited here for a table" to find I would be there all night. In the end we followed other peoples' lead and found a table ourselves instead. I would say that the restaurant service was the worst aspect of our holiday because it was a bit hit and miss.

None of the negatives noted above were real issues and they certainly did not impact on the lovely, relaxing, low-key time we had there. I would recommend buying your sunscreen etc before you go because it was very expensive at the hotel.

I would definitely visit Mauritius again and would not be unhappy to stay at the Maritim again if I did.

Room Tip: The rooms further into in the gardens were away from the main entertainment area (we had one of thes...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marian A
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We were on an all inclusive package in December for 17 days via British Airways Holidays and were happy - We thought the resort offered EXCELLENT VALUE for money. It is good for families.
Things we really loved were
- The staff were all very obliging and courteous - a nice touch is the fact hat the restaurant staff comes and sees you Aurelie and company.
- Rooms are big sized and accommodate three easily -
- Bed is super kingsized and loads of space - rooms are tastefully done - our's was on the ground level which was lovely because view of the sea plus we had the pleasure of seeing the most colourful lovely birds on our sit out
- There are bird tables all around the hotel and you see beautiful exotic colours
- GIANT tortoises the biggest you will ever see
- Snacks and drinks throughout the day at the bar.
- Water sports galore and most included except the para sailing - my kids snorkelling, sailing, water skiing, swimming, kayaking all in one day EVERY day and it was all included and accessible and attached to the property with good trained staff.
- Beach chairs were plentiful and available - even in the busy month of December - however I wish there would be more staff or more organization there on the part of Maritim.
- Staff speak German (lots of German managers), Good French and Good English.
- Buffets in the evening were good - with musical accompaniment and a pretty much of everything Including carvery section, always some Indian veg and Non Veg and Continental stuff.
- Meandering pool that spreads out so plenty of space for everyone.
- Just right on the beach and beautiful landscape and view but slighlty rocky in some places but you can't see rocks.
- lots to do volley ball and stuff and huge huge property and
all in all - EXCELLENT

The points of improvement for them in my opinion are as follows (bear in mind it already offers excellent value for money so read but ignore the following )
Although the hotel is 5 star there is something which is slight not quite 5 star quality or posh about it. I would go back and would be really pleased if they paid attention to the following
- I expect the beach staff to be on hand with towels and help clean up wet beach chairs and before I have to use them. instead I have to located a beach chair and go juggle with my book and cream and bag and a towel and remove the last person's wet towel myself. There are plenty of staff around but somehow they do not fetch the towels willingly and consider it as not their duty. It bothered me and the problem is more acute just below the pool.
- at 5 pm they come and round up all the towels but the pool is open until 10 so if you need to swim - too bad for you - you don't have a towel or if you badly need one - go somewhere far and negotiate and get one - atleast luckily it wasn't cold so you make yourself back to your room dripping without a towel if you get into the pool after 6 pm. So plan the towel before.
- The breakfast in the morning - fruit is not all cut beautifully and well presented as it should be in a five star hotel - quite a lazy or busy kitchen and I pointed this out to Kavita a very lovely and kind manageress and she did convey the message to the kitchen. Also the quantity of the fruit is SO MESQUIN and small and in a tiny little bowl that would easily run out with three people serving themselves fruit so there is definitely a lot of scope. Most of the table space is camouflaged with ample raw fruit and vegetables and it looks choc o block with spices strewn and huge vegetables everywhere but if you actually see what is on offer for you to eat as fruit in the morning - you will see that there isn't much - I would have liked to see more Litchies and cut mangoes because it was even the mango season and again pointed it out to the managers.
- Lunch was always a bit tired with an over cooked burger stand and you felt that the salads were a hotch potch made of last night's left overs - dinners were much nicer
- Serving cutlery - there would often be a miserable fork in a salad bowl - how can you serve yourself with one small fork - shouldn't there be proper serving cutlery?
I would have liked to see more beautiful flowers around - instead on my table you see a worn out leaf in stale water and I pointed it out to the staff because this really shocked me.
- The beds are a bit springy but still ok but what really is annoying are the quite soft pillows - There are two pillows that are just ok but the other one's are very cheap and thinned out sponge. We asked for more pillows but just got more of bad ones so next time I shall carry my own real dunlop pillow.
- concierge is terrible and you will not get any proper answers if you call and keep asking who is your agent etc and give you the run around. so prepare your own reading and do your reserach before - Mind you the resort is so lovely you can just spend all your time there and be really happy.
Inspite of my points of improvement for them
It is actually quite a good choice and yes i would recommend it and if they just train staff better with towel management, add more serving cutlery - beautiful flowers - It would be converted into a POSH five star. Instead of 'an excellent value for money five star' .
I think you will enjoy your stay and it is a huge huge huge beautiful property and already has a lot of excellent things going for it and I for one would go back without the slightest hesitation.

Room Tip: we were very happy with the rom on level 2 which was on ground level because of short walk to all am...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank roxinparis
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stayed at the maritim recently on a business trip. I found the leisure facilities at the hotel excellent, the service generally good and the food tasty. The evening buffet did get a little tedious after a while and an a la carte option would have been welcome, aside from the seafood and the fine dining restaurant. Food and drinks were pricey for those not on an all inclusive rate. Breakfast was excellent. My room was dated and a little small but with a lovely view and perfectly adequate amenities. Unfortunately I was not able to check into my room early after a long overnight flight, nor was I able to keep my room for a late checkout (even at a cost) which was frustrating for a business traveller. Wifi was free which was definitely a bonus. I did not have time to use any but the hotel offers many leisure activities and trips for holiday makers. Staff were always friendly. If looking to holiday in Mauritius I would certainly consider this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at the Maritim Hotel, you always worry when returning to a hotel that it will be as good as the first time, no worries here if anything the stay was even better than the first.

We were met with a cold drink and face flannel after our journey and a personal welcome from the manager who had done his homework and realised that we had stayed before.

We stayed in a prestige room 430 which was lovely, comfy huge beds, the pillows always a problem for me were changed on request as the first too bulky, the room was cleaned daily with clean towels twice a day and water, also there was always a little treat jar when you came back in the evening from the beach. The mini bar was well stocked tea and coffee provided. There were plenty of toiletries for your use and the really handy thing was a British type plug hole on the dressing table.

The pool area was great although beds were reserved very early in the morning and you do get drawn into doing the same if you want a bed round the pool, fine if you are going to use it all day but some stayed empty until lunchtime and after. The staff at the pool were great always asking whether they could get you a drink special mention goes to Rajesh.

We mainly ate at the Belle Vue restaurant and could not fault it, there was always a huge choice of food and you could always find something you fancied, the staff here were also great Vimla and Danette at breakfast and Rankarrum (Shakil) in the evening. We also ate at the La Maree on the lobster evening which was great and a lovely setting being serenaded by the guys on guitars.

The spa was great and we used it on a couple of occasions for massages and a facial very peaceful surroundings.

My husband and friend spent time at the dive centre unfortunately, not until the middle of our second week due to the cyclone which passed close to the island and affected the visibility, however, when they did get out there they thought it was fantastic as were the instructors.

Whilst we were there our friend who we travelled with had to visit the nurse with an infected finger and ended up going to the local clinic with the doctor for treatment, she was so impressed with the care she received both at the hotel and the clinic and had made a full recovery before we came home.

Do try to get out and see some of the Island the scenery is breathtaking so lush and green.

We would like to thank all the staff at the Maritm hotel for making our stay so enjoyable everyone of them had a smile from the cleaners upwards and couldn't do enough for you, we will definitely be returning to the Maritm.

Room Tip: prestige rooms have that little bit extra
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank lisamag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!