We went to the Maritim in December 2013 on a large family holiday. There were14 in our party including 3 families with 2 children each. Overall, we had a wonderful stay. The service was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful.
We were on the all-inclusive package which I definitely recommend, especially if travelling from South Africa as the prices were outrageous on the ZAR. The food in the buffet restaurant was pretty good, and we definitely ate well. Might get a bit much if you stay longer than a week as it was more or less the same each night and sometimes seemed to be put together quite randomly without much thought. Curry with no accompaniments (including rice) nearby for example. The curry night was pretty good though and they made lovely burgers for lunch. The sushi chef needs to learn a few new types, just nori and sashimi every night. We only went to the beach restaurant other than that and it was nice, just quite a limited menu on the all inclusive. We splashed out one night and shared a seafood platter which was pretty good.
Also very random rules about ordering food and drink, you had to go and eat your burger at the restaurant at lunchtime. If the waiter (or YOU!) carried it down to the pool, they had to charge you? Very odd. There was a swim-up bar that just served smoothies of the day and 1 cocktail. How about a beer? And no one ever there to serve. Very odd.
The beach and the pool are great and very kiddie friendly. Lovely snorkelling right off the beach and lots of loungers there, more than the pool.
Kids club was pretty quiet but my children (8&5) went there a few times and they did some nice activities although did not keep to the time table at all. You just had to stay in contact and they told you what they were getting up to. It is in the most uninviting location, right at the end of the beach, not convenient at all and could do with a bit of astro turf rather than just bare sand for the kids to play on as well as a bit more shade. Seems like they added it as an afterthought.
All in all a great holiday but there was one BIG negative! I think the Maritim might rank below Heritage Awali (4 star), which was the other resort we have been to due to the poor quality of our rooms. We had rooms 446 and 447 which were interleading. The hotel said they were standard rooms (not even mentioned on their website) but they were only about 3 star in quality. Small with tiny bathrooms in desperate need of updating. Only a low pressure handshower over the bath (my pet peeve, I love a good shower) and the size of each bathroom was just the length of the little bath. 2 people could not be in there at once. We overlooked some sort of airconditioning duct on the roof and so had really uninviting views. It was a big letdown but I did not complain as I did not want to offend our host, my Dad. Beware Saffers we booked through Holiday Factory, so make sure you don't get these rooms. The other 2 families in our party were on either side of us and they had the same.
So Maritim, lovely resort but you need to ensure you give ALL your guests a 5 star room experience. Those rooms need sorting!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Travelbag, Destinology, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava