“Lovely holiday in a super hotel with caring staff”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 8 January 2014

From the moment we decided on this hotel, the staff were nothing but brilliant: even responding to emails very quickly and politely. Our standard room was upgraded when we arrived and it was lovely with a gorgeous soak in tub with bamboo screens. You do spend time in your room (afternoon naps during the thunderstorms) so it's nice to have somewhere pleasant to be. We arrived late in the evening and were quite hungry after a long flight, but all the restaurants were closed. However, when our hostess took us to our room, she was followed by two staff members carrying trays of food for us - just because she overheard that we were hungry! Now it's those little touches that will bring you back.
I'm not a buffet type of person (just find all buffet food a bit bland and I don't like crowds) but the breakfast was fine with fruit, eggs any way you like and variables like pancakes etc. We had the all inclusive package (the only way to go especially if you drink) and our favourite restaurant was La Maree, the beach restaurant, which you should book as soon as you get there. We discovered too late that if there are weddings or functions on the beach, they close the restaurant. I think this is totally unfair since we are paying guests at the hotel, but I do understand that hotels make money from functions. We couldn't get into it for 4 nights in a row because of functions on the Fri & Sat nites and fully booked the other 2 nites etc. Maybe they need to build a function room at the other end of the hotel? We ate at The Banyan twice and it was good. Both managers at these two restaurants were outstanding and deserve special mention. I've never seen anyone work as hard as the manager of La Maree! He was great. We did not go to Chateau mon Desir as everything looked unbelievably expensive. Sports: the snorkelling was fun but most days the water was a bit murky, the waterskiing was good fun too. Paid extra to do the parasailing - it was something I'd never done before so was thrilled at the chance. Not too $$. There are two pools which flow into each other with a pool bar and rim flow. No staff at the pool bar so no-one went there. Could have been fun though if you had a crowd. Plenty of loungers - if we couldn't find any at the pool we'd wander down to the beach and there were lots there, and cooler by the sea. People did tend to leave their towels on the loungers but no real issues - we always found a spot.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break. The staff are all very friendly and seem genuinely willing to help. The guest manager always stopped and chatted to us and asked if he could make a reservation for us, and he did - right there and then. Nothing was too much trouble.
Thanks so much to everyone at the Maritim! :-) Oh by the way - the spa was very tranquil and lovely.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jane W
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind entry on Trip Advisor.

The entire team is glad that you have enjoyed your stay among us and met your expectations.
Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours Truly,

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Write a ReviewReviews (3,613)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was my favorite hotel in Mauritius, and I have stayed at over 9 different hotels to date in Mauritius, and after my review on Maritim in January 2012 where i stated we would be back with my family of 12. We booked 5 suites, rooms great but not all standard, some missing part of decor, and I had a few issues that Anntje sorted out quickly for me. The location and hotel is great, facilities excellent but again the service levels were lacking compared to my previous trip in late Jan 2012. i think due to the pre xmas rush and the hotel been fully booked. My issues were dealt with by management, and the staff xmas party for the children was extended to children from guests which i found a stunning idea and the kids all had a ball.
Although I am disappointed with service, still a good recommendation from me.

Room Tip: Book a room closer to the beach area, and on the upper floors, with nice views and tends to keep the...
7  Thank DennisRogers
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to learn that you consider the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘An Excellent Hotel’!
I have the regret to read on the other hand that your recent experience at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius did not reflect the level of service that has made our fantastic reputation.

We would like to thank you for your comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

We sincerely hope we shall be able to welcome you back again and in so doing to prove that your experience was an exception rather than the rule.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We went to the Maritim in December 2013 on a large family holiday. There were14 in our party including 3 families with 2 children each. Overall, we had a wonderful stay. The service was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful.

We were on the all-inclusive package which I definitely recommend, especially if travelling from South Africa as the prices were outrageous on the ZAR. The food in the buffet restaurant was pretty good, and we definitely ate well. Might get a bit much if you stay longer than a week as it was more or less the same each night and sometimes seemed to be put together quite randomly without much thought. Curry with no accompaniments (including rice) nearby for example. The curry night was pretty good though and they made lovely burgers for lunch. The sushi chef needs to learn a few new types, just nori and sashimi every night. We only went to the beach restaurant other than that and it was nice, just quite a limited menu on the all inclusive. We splashed out one night and shared a seafood platter which was pretty good.
Also very random rules about ordering food and drink, you had to go and eat your burger at the restaurant at lunchtime. If the waiter (or YOU!) carried it down to the pool, they had to charge you? Very odd. There was a swim-up bar that just served smoothies of the day and 1 cocktail. How about a beer? And no one ever there to serve. Very odd.

The beach and the pool are great and very kiddie friendly. Lovely snorkelling right off the beach and lots of loungers there, more than the pool.

Kids club was pretty quiet but my children (8&5) went there a few times and they did some nice activities although did not keep to the time table at all. You just had to stay in contact and they told you what they were getting up to. It is in the most uninviting location, right at the end of the beach, not convenient at all and could do with a bit of astro turf rather than just bare sand for the kids to play on as well as a bit more shade. Seems like they added it as an afterthought.

All in all a great holiday but there was one BIG negative! I think the Maritim might rank below Heritage Awali (4 star), which was the other resort we have been to due to the poor quality of our rooms. We had rooms 446 and 447 which were interleading. The hotel said they were standard rooms (not even mentioned on their website) but they were only about 3 star in quality. Small with tiny bathrooms in desperate need of updating. Only a low pressure handshower over the bath (my pet peeve, I love a good shower) and the size of each bathroom was just the length of the little bath. 2 people could not be in there at once. We overlooked some sort of airconditioning duct on the roof and so had really uninviting views. It was a big letdown but I did not complain as I did not want to offend our host, my Dad. Beware Saffers we booked through Holiday Factory, so make sure you don't get these rooms. The other 2 families in our party were on either side of us and they had the same.

So Maritim, lovely resort but you need to ensure you give ALL your guests a 5 star room experience. Those rooms need sorting!

Room Tip: Definitely avoid 445 - 450, awful family interleading rooms.
4  Thank CapeTownQueenie

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MaritimHotel Mauritius!

We are simply delighted to read that you have had a wonderful family with us and that you have enjoyed our service, staff, AI offer, beach & pool.

We have taken good note of your valuable comments about the pool & bar drinks and food service as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

We have well noted your comments about the room. Please note that this category is specifically dedicated to short stay. We have however well noted your comments which will help us to improve even further our guest satisfaction which is our main objective.

We look forward to welcome you once again on the Maritim Estate in a category of room which will suit you better.

Kindest regards from Mauritius,
Maritim Hotel Mauritius

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Maritim for 9 days over new year. The hotel was very comfortable and the restaurants were of good quality with the exception of the all inclusive buffet which we found to be of low quality and a little grubby, hence we only ate there once despite being all inclusive. The Chateau and the Banyan restaurants were tasty treats and I highly recommend them. The service in our Prestige Room was poor, the worst experienced when compairing with other hotels that I have stayed in on the Island and I have stayed in 5. On many occasions we were not left clean towels and had to go and get them ourselves. We were only left face cloths on one occassion. The dressing Gowns are old and worn and I just could not bring myself to wear these shabby items. The room was not made up on some days and we again had to ask. I felt I was being a pest by asking. Tea bags and stirers were not replaced daily. Our flowers were removed and not replaced but the vase and the stale water was left. There were many little things that upset us and when added all together spoilt the overall experience. I would certainly eat here again in the Chateau or the Banyan restaurants but I would not stay here unless the service improve dramatically. In my opinion this is not a 5 star hotel, it barley rates a 4 star.
Mike: Portsmouth

Room Tip: If Booking a Prestige Room ask for one on the top floor as the view is great. You do not want a room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael R

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you consider the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like a lovely and comfortable hotel and that you have enjoyed the cuisine of our various à la carte restaurants!
I have the regret to read that you have encountered some issues with our housekeeping services during your stay. Each of your comments has been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned. Kindly rest assured that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services and facilities. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments as it is mainly through guest comments that we become aware about improvements that should be made and this constantly drives us to excellence.

We sincerely hope we shall be able to regain your confidence and that we will have the pleasure once again to welcome you at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for 15 nights over the Xmas & New Year. It was a family reunion with 15 of us ranging from age 2 to 80 years old, booking 7 rooms between us. We were looking of an all-inclusive hotel with plenty of activities to keep us all happy. We were all very pleased with the Maritim Hotel and would come back again thanks mainly to the staff especially the waiting staff in the Belle Vue restaurant – Santa, Deven and Riaz who worked hard to make sure we had a table for all 15 to sit together, got us special drinks from the bar, organised birthday cakes and generally made us feel special and welcome. The hotel appeared to be well run, well maintained and clean. For example we had a cyclone storm hit for a day and the housekeeping staff where constantly mopping the tiled floors so that no one slipped, they had specially designed floor mats to soak up the rain water.

Aurelie Bernard the Guest Communication Manager was excellent replying to several queries by email before we set off for our holiday and also booked the horse riding for me in advance. She would always say hello and stop for a chat and check we were ok and sort out any minor blips we may have had.

Dave at reception made a special effort to look after us and created small crib sheets with all our room numbers as we had to provide these room numbers whenever we ordered drinks, collected towels, had food etc.

Maritim made a great event for New Years Eve outstanding food at the Belle Vue and beach party by the Maree Restaurant with guest DJ, fun furniture and tents. What could be more magical than celebrating new year dancing on the beach on a hot humid night!

Most days there were plenty of sun loungers by pool and on the beach as we wanted to be in the shade protected from the very fierce sun. We saw many sun burnt people around us so be warned. We never had an issue with the sun lounger /towel fair play system and felt it worked for us. Especially as there was such a large number of us trying to sit together.

Wifi is free throughout the hotel ie down at the beach, by the pool, in the restaurants - really handy for us as we were using whatsapp to keep in contact with each other around the hotel complex. The wifi speed runs at less than 1mb so not good for downloading music etc and it did drop out annoyingly often but good enough to surf the net & checking fb etc.

All 15 of us tried many of the free & paid for activities. Its not like Club Meds (we have been to about 5) where the activities & instruction are at a good/high standard and they regularly organise competitions. The activities are set at the "taster" beginner level, eg if you do yoga or Pilates on a regular basis you may find the classes light on content. The setting for the yoga in the spa pavilion is lovely (but make sure you spray your self with insect repellent first, it seem to be the only place where we got bitten) Pilates is held in the gym and was a bit squashed when there are 15 people attending the classes. There are only one Pilates & yoga classes on alternative days Monday to Friday only at 5pm. Mats are provided.

Gym well air-conditioned, 2 running machines, 1 cycle, 1 stepper, 1 cross trainer, a few weight machines and a large selection of dumb bell weights, yoga mats, 2 balance balls. All in good working order.

Archery - book at towel station - instruction & experience variable depending on what else the instructor had to whizz off to do next. The same instructor took the archery as well as the kayaking tour. The bows were in varying condition and they provided forearm protection but not finger protection – so expect sore fingers!

Croquet – lawn set in the gardens just outside the spa, there were plenty of wooden mallets and luckily 4 balls. Lovely setting in the shade of the trees.

All the water sport equipment eg sailing boat, pedalos, kyaks, life jackets, flat bottom boat etc were in good working order.

4 Pedalos & free to use, from the boat house and great fun, they provide life jackets for you to wear if you are short in height you may have to lie flat down to reach the pedals - good fun
4 hobie cats - 3 single main rigged and 1 also with a jibe. 3 single sail lasers, boat equipment in good working order.
As it was Xmas and new year activities had to be booked a couple of days in advance and the Maritim was obviously fuller at the weekends, it's seems that outside guests can book in for a day and use the facilities.

The one swimming is very shallow and not designed to do laps, it was more of a leisure pool, it was very clean and again well maintained.

I would recommend you bring plastic swimming shoes as there are rocks and the occasional sea urchin and the water is a bit cloudy so you can't really see what you are treading on, sea temperature was warm and inviting.

Mini/crazy golf is free and collect balls and putts from towel station.

There is a short 9 hole golf course well cared for, with water and sand pits to challenge. The green fee is free to hotel guests but there is a 800 rupee charge to hire a mixed bag of clubs and obviously you have to buy tees and balls on top which were about 600 rupee for balls.
Horse riding - about 6 horses & 1 Shetland pony kept at the outer rim of complex by the giant tortoises & goats. The horses are ex race horses, well looked after and in good condition. The horses are use to going on hacks (walk, trot & fast canters) along the beach or into the sugar cane fields & swims in the sea. They provide lessons at a beginner level. The horses aren't use to "flat" work or dressage. The horses seemed to be well use to English or American riding styles. Very good value indeed for an hour’s hack 750 rupees (£15) – one of our party did 4 rides and really liked the horses as they were very forward going.

Turtle club for 3 year olds and up was excellent, and a good way for children to meet others. The 6 year old in our party loved spending time there and was very happy with Annette, they did have fun, water skiing, swimming, feeding the animals in the farm, face painting, crafts.

Food: non stop and we all found plenty to eat and enjoy. As we were a large group we found we preferred the Belle Vue as it suited our needs. Santa, Deven and Riaz looked after us very well and laid out a special table out in the terrace which mean we could relax knowing we wouldn't be disturbing other guests.

Spa treatments – we all had massages with varying degrees of satisfaction, some felt that they weren’t deep and strong enough even though they had requested it. They cost about £45 each. Those that want a strong deep massage ask for Ani & Binita. All guests can use the Jacuzzi spa, steam & sauna room whether you have treatments or not and it’s a lovely space, but quite small (so don’t tell too many people!)

Understanding the difference and the value of the All-inclusive food package and the gourmet passes was very confusing. Evaluating what is included and what isn’t at different the restaurants and on which theme nights. It also made it quite stressful working out the best value for the 15 of us including two children. Aurelie did email us with an explanation but I think until you see the menu for each restaurant you can’t make a decision on whether a gourmet pass is best for you or not. We decided not to buy the gourmet passes which cost an additional £75 which you could use for 3 meals. We tried the Banyan Asian restaurant and the food was good there but we didn’t eat there again as we preferred the wider choice of the Belle Vue. We did really like the “Grill” restaurant behind the beach restaurant “La Maree” – the pig roast was amazing, and eating out on the beach was lovely. Breakfast and lunch at La Maree was lovely, although the lunch menu is very limited. We also enjoyed the Steak & Lobster night recommended by other trip advisors, well recommended.

Be warned men to pack long trousers -required for all evening meals in most of restaurants including belle Vue and in the pool bar.

When on beach there is a Beach menu -which includes ice cream - you are not offered the menu as a matter of course so ask for it, this is different from the Bar menu, which is offered at the Pool Bar.

The Departure/Arrival Lounge is a great idea. A place to leave your hand luggage, shower have towels etc. Also if you are an All inclusive guest you have access to all the restaurants even if you haven’t been able to check into your room.

Rooms are fabulous we had 6 privilege rooms and one junior suite between us and we were all very happy with the views. It would have been nicer to have the rooms closer together but the hotel did its best. Our elderly parents Suite no 108 was at the very far end near the beach restaurant but at least on the ground floor, but a long walk if you have mobility issues to get to the swimming pool and Belle Vue and wasn’t really near the rest of the family.

Overall an excellent experience for all of us and we would consider going back, many people we spoke to were repeat guests says a lot for the hotel and its staff. Well done.

Room Tip: beware that the neighbouring hotel by the boathouse has regular loud party music on the beach at nig...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank LondonChiswick

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review in details the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and the New Year's Eve with us and it met your expectations. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your family reunion and hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We chose Maritim for our wedding. We booked prestige room. I requested room not in ground floor from the start because of our 16 month old daughter. When we arrived at 9am after not sleeping for 24 hours, we've been told that our room will be ready at 3pm. However there is arrival/departure lounge and we could have drinks and food from the start so it wasn't that bad.
Aurelie, the guest relation manager, came to see us and told us that they even gave us ground floor room because of our daughter. I must say I was not happy. There is not any fence, it is open plan so it just was not safe because our daughter would just run away. I told her that and she sort it out and gave us room on first floor which was much better because we could sit on balcony a our daughter could not run anywhere.
She suggested that the turn down service will be done 18.30 because our daughter is going to bed early but the housekeeping haven't been done for the first 4 nights. We mentioned it to her and we did not have any problem since.
Aurelie was lovely and tried her best to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.
If you stay 2 weeks, like we did, you may find that the food is constantly the same. Curry, chips, same sushi and chicken nuggets..... So if you like curry, you'll be fine. Breakfast is not great but if you booked prestige room and above, you can go to beach restaurant and I would definitely recommend it. The food is much nicer and you've got perfect view.
The staff is amazing. I cannot fault them at all. They all were lovely with our daughter and she loved there attention. There was 1 or 2 rather lazy waiters in the bar but the rest were spotless.
The thing I could not stand was that people just put their towel on sunbeds and left even thought there are signs not to do that. Nobody did anything about it so by 9-9.30 am there wasn't empty bed by the pool. Well to be precise there were empty sunbeds but with towels on it.
The pool is just too small for the amount of people in hotel and not enough sunbeds.
When we had our first meeting with wedding coordinator, it left bitter taste. Be prepare for lots of extra money you'll have to pay. We decided to go for life band because just to use our iPod and hotel speakers was £50 which we thought was ridiculous. The band was great and we were glad we chose them.
There was minimum 1 wedding a day EVERY day. We stayed a week before our wedding and it got a bit tiring to see 1 or 2 brides every day so I didn't feel special at all when it came to mine wedding. Despite all this, they tried there best to make it special for us and we had a lovely day. I find my photographer Jocelyn Fayolle online. We couldn't choose better person to capture our memories.
Our wedding dinner was in beach restaurant which was all inclusive. I must say the afford they put into it was great. Food was very good and we enjoyed it very much.
So if you don't mind to meet other bride on your big day and not to feel as special as you would like too, you will have a great time.
Over all it was pleasant holiday but would I recommend it? Probably not and I would choose different hotel if I went to Mauritius next time.

Room Tip: we had room 333 and it was lovely
2  Thank Jana V
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Maritim Hotel Mauritius and congratulations again for your wedding from the entire team!

I am glad to read that you have found our staff amazing and that our Guest Communication staffs have been able to offers you a personalised service and meet all your requirements. Our 24 years experience has indeed positioned the Maritim Hotel Mauritius as one of the best wedding destination in the world. We have thus the chance to welcome many wedding ceremonies all benefitting from our unique Estate of 25 hectares which allows all our guests to find space and comfort. We know how important a wedding day or honeymoon is, that is why we consider each wedding as unique and that our dedicated team is doing the outmost to make it as perfect as you imagine it to be.

Rest assured that we have taken good note of your other comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Thank you once again for your review. We hope to see you back on the Maritim Estate for your wedding anniversaries. Rest assured that we will do the outmost to make you feel more special as we deeply consider that all our guests are.

Yours faithfully.

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Amazing staff, service is exceptional, as was the welcome upon arrival. The all inclusive option is really worth it, as all food and drinks are included.
Beach is very good, the sea had an area of rocks near the shore, but was a good place to see small fish.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Faru L

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we have met your expectations!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!