“Decent facilities but you can get a better hotel !”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon - 5 nights.

We reached at 1 pm or so.. We were told our rooms would be ready by 3pm and that was OK. The waiting lounge is good and dint mind spending a couple of hors there.
However, I got my "correct" room at 4:45 pm. i was pretty calm and only walked up to reception at 3:30 to check why my room wasnt ready yet. The staff was pretty rude and to the point - "your room is not ready, please wait" - Hello, I havent seen such executives talking to customers in a luxury resort as if they are doing me a favor !!

I am a very patient person and decided to let them come to me and wait in the lounge.
There were no apologies, nothing. I finally got my room at 4:20 pm - and you know what, they gave me a basic room. I had booked a prestige room(higher category). I was frustrated and that moment I decided that even if I am floored by the resort and staff in the next 5 days. I am not coming back. You cant start someones vacation who travels across the world(I took a 26 hr flight from US) to come here like this.
Finally they agreed their mistake after 10 mins and me standing at the reception. And then got into my room at 4:45.
Tip : you need your best people at the reception - thats where the experience begins sir !!

The room was fantastic. Really well done up.
Nice pool and bar area. Bob especially from the bar was very helpful and went out of his way to make us comfortable.
The pool area and the sun beds are few with staff around a bit rude in general. THe towel system is really a problem. Most of the resorts I have stayed at, you get multiple towels with staff running to get you one. Here they give a card/paper for towel. So you carry it when you want a towel !! Luxury at its best !
Also, the staff managing the water sports keeps chit chatting amongst themselves and also noticed them pointing and laughing at some guests too. The water ski person refused stating that it is lunch time and come later very rudely. Pretty intimidating.

The bufffet restaurant(forget the name) is very crowded and staff OK. They just take away your plate if you arent there for 5 mins. Happened twice. Food was good most of the days with good variety.
The breakfast at the restaurant on the beach is excellent and great staff there. Thats service.
Nice SPA. But again, the staff !!

I really thought of checking out and spending the remaining 3 days somewhere else. My wife stopped me and she dint want to pack unpack again.

Mauritius is a very nice place ! I would rather stay somewhere else where I feel the resort takes care of their customers and pampers them.

Room Tip: Get the prestige room !!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kanishk V
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed, during your stay in November 2011, your room, the pool and bar area, our spa, the breakfast, service and staff of our beach restaurant.

I have the regret to read on the other hand that you have encountered some issues at your check in and with our staff during your stay. Kindly rest assured that each of your comments and incidents have been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned and that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services and facilities. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation or for which we strive.

We would like to assure you that nothing is more important that our guests and the level of service that we are providing to our guests.

We sincerely hope we shall be able to regain your confidence, in so doing to prove that your experience was an exception rather than the rule.

Yours Truly,

There are newer reviews for Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just return from Maritim hotel in Mauritius. Good accommodation, very good food, great gardens, nice beach. Take the tours by taxi not by the travel agencies, the driver will be also a guide, you will travel in comfort, the price will be lower and the trip faster. Try the local food outside of the hotel. Local cousine is a mixt of indian and African style. Get fresh seafood and fruits. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Vicentiu-Adrian

Dear Valued Guest,
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views and tips with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Just got back from the Maritim -consider ourselves very well travelled stayed in top hotels all over the world. The Maritim didnt disappoint us in anyway really really enjoyed our holiday there, food in Asian Fusion restaurant simply superb & La Merre on the beach is a wonderful location in relaxed surroundings - A very very well run hotel.Just one tip we paid for 3 gourmet passes costing £120 however after we used them & then paid for the supplemnts for the A La Carte food option it only cost on average £20 extra for both so we would hve been better off NOT buying the passes

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank jeff h

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Fabulous’

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your kind and warm feedback.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my honeymoon for 2 weeks in October. Lovely location & hotel very clean, but as I had spent rather a lot to stay here & booked it as a honeymoon I expected something amazing, but it was certainly not. I have stayed in hotels which are just as nice, if not nicer in other parts of the world but for a lot less money!
When booking, the hotel promised us some honeymoon 'perks' such as free room upgrade, free massage in the spa etc, when checking in & enquiring about these we were told that no we would certainly not have anything like this! We were not treated how I expected a honeymoon couple to be treated!
The standard evening buffet was good quality food and good choice, much better than I had expected, but the other restaurants on site were expensive, and the standard of food served did not match the price.
Overall I was disappointed, and feel you could definately stay somewhere just as nice for a lot less money.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Geedg

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to read that you have enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and consider it like ‘lovely’.

We have the regret to read that your honeymoon among us did not meet fully all your expectations and did not reflect the level of service and good value for money that have made our fantastic reputation especially for honeymoon.

Regarding the upgrade, as specified, we offer room upgrade for honeymooners upon availability at time of check in. Unfortunately, the hotel was running at a very high occupancy during your stay and did not allow us to upgrade you.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments as it is mainly through guest comments that we become aware about improvements that should be made and this constantly drives us to excellence.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to Maritim Hotel Mauritius.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We had the most wonderful two week, all inclusive holiday at the Maritim, Barclava in Mauritius from 15 November to 1 December 2013. What a holiday, the place is truly amazing and has the most beautiful setting. From start to finish you are treated like you are the only people that matter and we could not fault a single thing. On arrival, you are greeted with the warmest of welcomes from the staff, given a cold flannel and a cocktail. They then take your passport and hotel paperwork and everything is done for you whilst you sit in the open area reception taking in the view and the tranquil ambience of the hotel. We arrived around 10am in the morning and the staff explained that our room would be ready as soon as possible, not that we even expected our room to be available as most hotel rooms you cannot get into until at least 2pm on day of arrival. We were given special tickets so we could use the all inclusive part of our holiday and sat in the Quarter Deck Bar, overlooking the sea, what a great start to our holiday, drinking cocktails and just feeling so spoilt and relaxed. When we were told our room was ready, which was only an hour or so later, after having another drink before being taken there. The room was a great size, bed massive, spotlessly clean, bright and had everything you would need. We had a great view over the excellently kept gardens and the sea. The bathroom was a great size with a large walk in shower, double sinks and you could sit in the bath and see out the window if you pulled the Japanese style sliding doors back; it was truly 5 star quality.

We unpacked and popped to the pool area, as I wanted to catch some sun on the first day and we had no trouble finding two sunbeds amazingly right by the Quarter Deck Bar. The pool area, again was spotlessly clean and the pool was just the right temperature to cool you down, but also be able to just jump in straight away. There are two sides of the pool divided by a little bridge and the other side had an infinity pool, where you could just paddle and look at over the beach and sea, so relaxing.

We ended up having room service on the first evening as too much sun and drink first day, as you do! The food was top quality, service no problem and we had drinks in the mini bar that we could have as well. They provide soft drinks, beer, water and wine free in the mini bar, you have to pay for the snacks though, which was no problem as my fiancée always felt he had a nice treat having his twix every other day!

Next day we had breakfast in the main restaurant (Belle Vue) where you could find absolutely everything you would need or want. We were greeted by the warmest of welcome, shown to a table that overlooked the pool area and the sea, it truly felt magical. I have lovely fresh fruit, muesli and yogurt, followed by a freshly made poached egg on brown toast, whilst my fiancée had a freshly made omelette. You could have a full breakfast, or continental style, there was fish, meat, pastries, you name it and they would provide it. There was even bottles of sparkling wine and fresh orange juice if you fancied an early morning tipple.

We spent the next day by the pool and again not trouble finding beds, plus had a walk along the lovely, sandy beach. We stopped at the beach bar to have a drink late afternoon and that was just so nice, relaxing by the sea with a pina colada watching people on the inflatables attached to speed boats, a few small boats coming in with people who had been scuba diving and just generally feeling so chilled and relaxed.

At our greeting meeting we were told about the gourmet pass you can purchase, which allows you to each in three of the restaurants on the hotel grounds; definitely recommend this as well worth the money. We had one night in the Asian restaurant with another couple that we had met out there and the food was such high quality, some exquisite tastes, so much choice and the whole setting was so calm. Another evening we went to the beach restaurant (La Maree), which had such a lovely ambience in the evening, candles and low lights, the sound of the sea, man playing some lovely soft guitar music, it truly was wonderful. We went on the Friday which is steak night as other people there had recommended it and we are so glad they did, as the fillet steak is incredible, 300g cooked to perfection and your taste is making my mouth water now, one of the best steaks we have had. It was so good that we actually booked again for the following Friday. Our other special meal was at the Mon Desir restaurant, which is more than 5 star quality, the whole evening was something we will never forget. From being taken there on the golf buggy, to being welcomed by the most friendly, professional staff, hearing such soothing tunes being played on a grand piano, to the decor, ambience and service, you could not fault a single thing. The food was out of this world, tastes I am so happy to say I have experienced and you would not get a better beef wellington anywhere, it just melted in your mouth. My fiancée had the chocolate soufflé for desert and had a smile on his face like a child in a chocolate factory; he said he felt like he was in heaven, it was too scrummy. The overall experience was a memory we will keep with us forever, and value for money, well I dread to think what the sort of evening we had would cost in London.

Every day at the hotel just got better, we met some lovely people who we will be keeping in touch with and shared some great memories. The hotel has everything, you don’t want to leave it, although we did venture out on two trips, one being a sunset cruise, which despite not seeing the sunset, we had a great party on there, dancing, drinking and meeting some really nice people. Our other trip was to Casela Nature Park Zoo & Aquarium, whereby my fiancée talked me into the lion interaction, bearing in mind I am scared of cats and dogs, it was really hard for me to do this, but I can honestly say I am so glad I did. The staff there looked after me and I felt confident to stroke a large, white Lion, another memory I will cherish. The whole park is lovely and well worth a visit.

You can walk around the ground of the hotel and see the biggest turtles I have ever seen; you could actually sit on them and ride them they are that big. You can also go horse riding and visit the stables where they are kept, they seemed like ex race horses to us, as their coats were so shinny and they looked so well kept.

My fiancée also managed to get a game of golf at the hotel which he really enjoyed, you do have to pay extra for the clubs, but was not expensive and my fiancée said it was worth it. He also enjoyed the lesson he had with the professional there and felt he gained some useful tips from him. I, in the meantime visited the Spa, which is like entering a magical, rain forest and has such a relaxing atmosphere. I had an amazing full body massage and felt like I was floating when I left the room to then sit in the chill-out area, under a waterfall, listening the that lovely sound of the water pulsating down, calming smells of oils and freshness – I felt in a dream that I did not want to end.

We have honestly never relaxed so much in place from the minute you get there, the staff just made us feel so comfortable and looked after, nothing was too much trouble. There are far too many to mention, but could not fault a single person from the Reception Staff, security, gardeners, bar staff, kitchen staff, waitresses and waiters, beach towel staff, beach bar staff, boat people and as for the cleaning staff, they work 24/7 to keep the whole place looking amazing and our rooms spotless. We will remember Kaviraj, who greeted us most days in the main restaurant and was just such a kind man; we would share our experiences with him of what he had done that day or the day before and he would tell us all about his life in Mauritius and what he had done or was planning to do; he was just so lovely.

We looked on Trip Advisor before we went on our holiday and found someone had put a bad review on about this hotel, well I am sorry, but these people must have gone somewhere else, so please totally ignore what they have said. You will not find a more beautiful place than the Maritim and we would be truly amazed if you could find fault in anything. I was told about this place over four years ago, someone had been and recommended it to me, I managed to remember the name and am so glad she did. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and would not hesitate to go back. Thank you to everyone at the Maritim for making our two week holiday one of the best.

Room Tip: We had the privilege room, which is one up from standard and this was excellent with a sea view. A...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Debbie R

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review in details your stay at the MARITIM
Hotel Mauritius and sharing your kind and warm feedback with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to learn that you consider the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Simply the Best’!
The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and all the facilities and it met and even exceeded your expectations!

Thank you once again for your great review and all of us hope to see you back on the MARITIM estate for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.
Yours faithfully

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks over the Christmas and New Year period. We found the sports facilities, in particular the water skiing was excellent. My husband thoroughly enjoyed this and myself the kyaking. Jean Philipe and ALL Boat House crew were very helpful and patient with inexperienced guests.
The grounds of the estate are spectacular and well maintained. Well worth at least one walk around. We thought the £12 extra for the horse ride along the beach was well worth the cost. The horses are in beautiful condition and the stable staff repeatedly said, they were not working as they were doing something they thought as a privilege job, and this was evident.
We used the small beach near the water sports and were more than well pampered, in particular Khevesh and Sawadesh. Both were never without smiles!

Evans "Mr Versatility", made a great Archery coach, sports instructor and doubled up at night as Sax player!
Many thanks to Sandrine, who made my husbands day with a smile and a hug. Also Frederic on the sports desk.
We were in a Prestige room and for a quite a number of meals we ate in the Belle Vue, which we thought had a good range of food to suit most tastes. I enjoyed the curries and the vegetables were excellent. Vimla and Devan went out of their way to make sure everyone was satisfied and work very hard.

We managed to eat and get a table without a problem at La Maree. It really is an idyllic setting and ALL the staff including Nano, Priscilla, Vidya and Vinal (who we had a soft spot for), made us very welcome.

We really enjoyed our evenings in the Quarter Deck Bar, where we thought the service was outstanding. Listening to Jean Paul on piano and being served gin and tonics without even asking for them, was a treat in such a beautiful setting. Thanks to Pajani and Khoulash.

Housekeeping as mentioned by others is a little issue but Susanna the manageress quickly sorted us out and we were very happy with her understanding and assistance.
I do feel that the down side is travelling so far, for us from Spain via London, Dubai and finally going though 2 hours immigration in Mauritius, then an hour drive to the hotel. Arriving at night the last thing we wanted, was to go through a chat about alternative dining. Particularly for people arriving at night, I think this could wait till the following day. All you want to do is get to your room and unpack.

Wishing all the staff best wishes for 2014 thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathryn G

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you consider the service and staff at the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘First Class’ and that you have enjoyed in particular our sports facilities and your stay in general on the MARITIM Estate.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your warm feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Kindest regards from Mauritius,

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 week all inclusive at the maritim in jan. The weather was quite unsettled - warm with plenty of cloud and some storms but we still managed to have a great time. The rooms are spacious and well furnished with a lovely bathroom. We had an amazing sea view. The pool is lovely and the activities are accessible and well organised. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The on site spa is a real treat, and exploring the grounds there are ruins a waterfall and giant turtles. The only small criticism would be the dining experience. The food and service isn't quite what we have experienced elsewhere eg Dubai. Sometimes we waited a while to be seated and often waited to order drinks. The buffet has a reasonable selection- it never quite seemed to match the menu. There are 2 a la carte restaurants. We had a disappointing dinner at La maree on the beach but 2 lovely lunches. The service was consistently slow. The Banyan restaurant service was very slow, we waited 5-10 minutes before even getting a menu. The food was average and at a supplement. We didn't try the fine dining or Mauritian restaurants.
Overall we had a brilliant holiday and I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lion34

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back on the MARITIM estate for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours faithfully

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!