“Outstanding!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Belfast
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Due to the vast majority of previous reviews recommending the Maritim, we took the plunge and stayed for 9 days mid February. From our arrival after a long trip - Belfast, London, Dubai, Mauritius to the end of our stay, the staff were outstanding in their friendliness and couldn't have been more helpful, to such a degree that it would be unfair to single out individuals.

Rooms - with two teenage kids, we stayed in adjoining 'prestige' rooms on the ground floor with a sea view. I know a few reviewers have recommended an upgrade, personally the prestige rooms are very well laid out and were more than adequate.

Food/drinks - some previous reviewers have complained about the 'buffet food' in the Belle Vue restaurant and having to pay extra to dine in the other restaurants. Our experience of the restaurant was, yes, you had to go up and serve yourself. However the food was all freshly prepared, was of the highest quality and with a different selection each day. The problem was trying not to eat too much! I have a gluten intolerance and every day the staff would make fresh 'gluten free' pancakes for me at breakfast - well recommended! There are a good variety of drinks included in the AI deal, including great cocktails (non-alcoholic and alcoholic) and lovely liquor coffees as a nightcap

Facilities/activities - the facilities/sports available are excellent and there is always something to do if you do not want to chill out by the pool/beach. I would thoroughly recommend a visit to the spa area (free on AI) where there is a steam room, sauna and plunge pool - quiet and hardly used for some reason.

All in all, a fantastic relaxing holiday. Hopefully we will get the chance to return to Mauritius in the future and would have no hesitation in staying at the Maritim again.

PS - If you have a choice, fly with Emirates, like the Maritim, the service was exceptional.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor prestige rooms 267 & 268. No problems whatsoever with noise, and a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Ballyhack5
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Outstanding’!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your warm feedback.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Yours sincerely,

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leigh-on-Sea
Reviewed 27 February 2014

What a pity I would love to have given this hotel five stars which it deserved in every way except one.The wine! The A/I wines were poor but drinkable in the buffet but The Chateau was a really
great restaurant,we ate there three times,and to drink these A/I wines with the food was a shame.However, to upgrade, the prices start around £45 for a bottle of red, which I feel is a bit steep.This is a pity as the restaurant is of a very high standard, really fine dining and the food deserves a decent wine.I am sure they could stock wines at around £25-£30 a bottle which is reasonable, or am I expecting too much.
Other than this gripe the hotel is excellent, we also ate in the Banyan and Maree restaurants which were very good, especially the situation of the Maree. right on the beach.
All the staff were excellent, very friendly and providing a wonderful service, always with a smile.
The hotel is in a beautiful situation with acres of gardens which were illuminated at night, and it made a nice walk back from the chateau, although a lift is always available.

Room Tip: Prestige rooms are very spacious and worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rofert

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

Regarding the wines, we want to highlight that Mauritius Island is subject to very high taxes on alcohol and other imported goods, which reflects on our selling prices. We have however taken good note of your comments which will truly help us to monitor and improve our offer even further.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband found this gem of a hotel with the help of Tropical Sky who recommended it to us as an ideal honeymoon destination . . . and they weren't wrong! The hotel is immaculate throughout and the food is superb. All staff are lovely and nothing is too much. I am very fussy but really could not find fault and can only recommend this resort very highly and a visit to their spa is a must

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sianiem1

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your homeymoon with us and that we have met and exceeded your expectations!

Clapham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel, it has great recreational facilities and both my wife and I failed to be impressed by the excellent service offered by the staff who work there especially Kidu (oldish Barman), Hafiz & Buckdifu (Barmen) as well as all the lads on the water skiing, please excuse my inability to spell their names accurately. These individuals are assets to the hotel and were a pleasure to come in contact with.

I would regard myself as quite a demanding individual towards bar staff however, the above members of staff never failed to exceed my expectations. My only issue with the bar menu is that they Do Not Have Premium Spirits! The whiskeys are available on the all-inclusive are not what I would expect from a hotel which claims to have premium spirits, I am aware that they do have wide selection of pleasant Malaysian rums and Smirnoff vodka however, I would not regard the latter is being a premium spirit and you do have to make sure to ask for it in any cocktails. The other Volker that is available tastes disgusting!

I have noticed from other Tripadvisor reviews on the hotel that it is best to wear beach shoes due to the coral, I did not find this an issue, far from it. As the beach, although not being luscious sand, is quite easy to walk on without sand shoes. It is frustrating every morning, having to be part of the problem, to be forced to place beach towels down on the sun beds. This would not be a problem if they would have more beds available, I do understand that if you walk to the far end of the beach you will always be able to get one however, that is not necessarily the nicest location. I did hear from other tourists that certain beach waiters can be bribed to placed towels (all towels are freely available, so you don't need to bring your own) in prime locations for you however again that is not something which you should have to do.

Both the bars which are on beaches are of an excellent standard, and staff as already stated. Both my wife and I also enjoyed lunch on the beach as well as the evening fire which was quite a pleasant relief from the high humidity.

Whilst at the resort my wife and I went on several excursions, the hotel does have a taxi firm assigned to them which offers a more competitive rate than going through tour reps, these drivers can be hired out at a cheaper rate on your next trip away with them if you negotiate this via the driver. We would certainly recommend visiting the waterfalls at Black River Gorge as well as Port Louis, I would recommend though if visiting Port Louis you look up where you would like to go, as it is not necessarily clear upon arrival. Both Chinatown and the market would certainly well worth a visit, specially eating in the food hall where the locals eat at the market, seating is upstairs and quite rustic though this adds to the charm. I would also thoroughly recommend if you want to visit Port Louis you make the effort to go to Loumbic Bar and try their microbrewery beer, though the Phoenix beer available in the hotel is quite pleasant. There are designer shops nearby the hotel however, unless if you are a complete Muppet and quite easily pleased as well as oblivious to when you are getting ripped off with a fake garment, I wouldn't bother going.

After doing daily excursions, as well as an intense time on the beach due to the heat, it is nice to visit the hotels spa and use their free facilities. They have both sauna and steam room, which oddly enough is quite refreshing and they have excellent water massage taps inside the plunge pool. There are also beautiful sunsets every evening, whether permitted, over the Indian Ocean.

The bedrooms are excellent, and there is a well-stocked all-inclusive fridge inside the rooms, which obviously excludes snacks. Though it is unlikely you will ever be hungry due to the fantastic food available in the hotel, some waiters and waitresses are more competent than others and there is one particular lady who actually has the finesse of a rhinoceros. Do not be put off if they tell you there is a 15 minute wait, if you walk in the majority of the waiters will be able to have you seated in your preferred location, I believe this is an attempt just to stagger the busy times.

The gym facilities in the hotel are quite sufficient for a holiday hotel and, on request, are available 24 hours a day. The watersports available are excellent as well, with very patient staff. I particularly enjoyed the water skiing which again is free and there are twice daily snorkelling trips.

If you are flying British Airways you will more than likely have two sort out your own transport from the airport to the hotel and back again, there are various agencies available which you can pre-book for this, though we opted to take a cab from the airport this cost a total of 2000, I am aware of one firm which I was told about that offered this per person. Though I do recognise that if you are quite diligent you should be able to arrange a cheaper fare prior to arriving. If you arrive with British Airways you will also have quite a wait prior to your boom being allocated, they do have changing facilities available so it is certainly a good idea to have more appropriate clothing in a separate bag. Upon departure from the island I would certainly recommend using the airport lounge, it is equipped with a shower and has excellent premium alcohol and food.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank 78Cal

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views and recommandations with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Maritim in November 2013. We were struck by the quality of everything we encountered perhaps with one exception but there were options to avoid that.
We were on an all inclusive package - very good range of cocktails, liquor etc which were of excellent quality and of European branded names. The hotel seemed very conscious that everything to do with comfort was of a high standard from the decor to the seating to the cushioning on the sun loungers to the cleanliness and the way that the staff in general conducted themselves. Excellent beach service from the always friendly Yashine who ensured you were promptly served and frequently came over to see that there was nothing else he come get for you.
Great welcome in the restaurant form Vilma and Kayiraj. As a result of the efforts made by the staff, the quality of all the facilities and the programme of things to do ( such as archery, waterskiing etc all free as part of the all inclusive) we had a really great holiday.
Our only slightly negative comment would be the slightly canteen feel to the main restaurant. in week two the food seemed a bit repetitive and the choice of vines available as part of the all inclusive, a bit limited. This despite the fact they did themed meals. However options were available and the Maree beachside restaurant was one such excellent option. I suggest getting to know that restaurant early on in your holiday as the ambiance was great and the meals delicious.
Would we return - definitely yes which is always a good sign of a successful holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rod Munro M
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back on the MARITIM estate for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours faithfully

Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel during the first week of February with our three children. A further eight family members came too. The hotel is very comfortable and the room fantastic. The kids loved the bath being in the middle of the floor! The food is varied and plentiful and the gardens are beautiful. The hotel is very child friendly and ours loved the swimming pool and kids' club.

Best of all was the attention to detail for our wedding - Madhavi is an absolute gem and listened patiently to our requests and coped with re-arranging everything when a cyclone postponed the ceremony for 24 hours and even then, arrangements for an indoor ceremony changed to the beach when the sun came out just one hour before. The photographs of everyone enjoying themselves with the setting sun in the background are fabulous. Can't thank Madhavi enough - what a star!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter F
Dear Valued Guest,
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius and congratulations once again for your wedding!

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed this very special moment of your life and it met your expectations.Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Yours sincerely,

kent
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have just returned after the best week ever. We could not fault anything. We stayed in a Privilege room with a great view of the ocean. Taking the all inclusive option is definitely a good idea, there is a good choice of wines,beers and sparkling wines at no extra cost. The main restaurant serves a varied lunch and evening menu all the food was nicely presented and tasty. Breakfast was also good. We did treat ourselves to breakfast at La Maree which is on the beach,this involved an extra cost but was worth it! Also as a special one off we had a meal at Chateau Mon Desir, quite pricey but exceptional.
We were very impressed with all three of the Guest Communication managers, Aurelie, Kavita, Joanna who were always available during the day making sure that their clientele were happy.
We also thought that the Fair Play policy at the pool and beach was an excellent idea, meaning that the sunbeds could not be reserved and left unoccupied for over an hour
Every member of staff we met were polite and friendly. We can't wait to go back again. Well done Le Maritim for getting everything so right!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank casKent

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours faithfully

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!