“Relaxing....”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I will be totally honest,Hotel & service excellent,Food & drinks amazing.Rooms spacious & clean.However we had to change rooms as damp in previous (265) dehumidifier in room to prevent this which kept us awake during the night.Moved to room 107 (prestige) much better room...Weather was mixed throughout our 10day stay.Had rain most days!!!! & cloudy. Book Catamaran trip on the beach as much cheaper then hotel reps!!!! Good day out well worth the trip to the other side of island.Maritim was lovely along with the very hard working staff my only disappointment was lack of evening entertainment!!!!!! No atmosphere,& I felt isolated in the evenings.This was a special Birthday Celebration for myself (50th) & reading several reviews looks like I was the only one who received nothing!!!!! No extras like other guests how can this be!!!!! Guess it's luck of the draw!!!! Mauritius is lovely if I return I will stay in the south as more cosmopolitan.I am a very well travelled person & glad to of visited this island......However do we need to travel such a long way to see, blue seas ,amazing beaches & islands!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to prestige room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful to you for taking the time to pass on your much appreciated comments concerning your stay at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

Each of the incidents has been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation, or for which we strive.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments as it is mainly through guest comments that we become aware about improvements that should be made and this constantly drives us to excellence.

Yours faithfully,

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Write a ReviewReviews (3,674)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a lovely time at the Maritim in Mauritius.

Other reviews sum it up well.

View from beach/rooms/restaurants all lovely.

Here are my tips.

If you have a prestige room or higher, do enjoy breakfast at La Maree

When going to the buffet restaurant, if the waitress puts you towards the area on the left do ask for a better place to eat. I thought the buffet was very average and the portions meager and a few of the chefs did act as doing a favor giving you anything. The beef was cooked basically extra pink and this put people off, I was fine with it but my partner not. It would not be difficult to cook one joint extra rare (like they did) and another one medium, then all customers catered for.

Steak night at La Maree is worth paying extra for. I do agree for an all-inclusive to have so many restaurants all to pay as extra when pre-paid is average buffet was disappointing.

Beach and pool service I thought was very poor, hence overall rating.

Just go to the bar if by the pool and get drinks yourself. On the beach do use the red service flag. You will get served but it is a shame have to put a flag out.

Snorkeling I thought was very good considering lot of fish a meter from the beach.

Room service - we kept getting turn down service which was more like large bath towel delivery. So complained and asked for no turn down but has all towels replaced when room cleaned.

Room throughout holiday was getting cleaned later and later, final straw was going back to room at 16:45 and being cleaned.

Complained again and again was remedied.

If you are looking for a lively holiday, not the place for you. It is relax...

Evening entertainment - fine for what it is, guitar and a male singer....

Summertime tours - you will be taken to a model boat shop, clothes shop, trinket shop and an awful overpriced restaurant for lunch. Lindley took use to the Kashmiri (we read reviews Ebony a rip off), paid over the odds for poor/average meal. Shame as we asked for an authentic Mauritian meal.

Wish we had gone on a boat trip but next time.

As other tour guides turned up, we realized being ripped off. I expect they get commission.

Some staff very good such as Neelam, Anousyla. They should give lessons to miserable beach and pool waiters who made an effort to look busy when actually loathing. I did want to tip them but as service was bad from day one I could not bring myself to do it – even in an attempt to get better service. You do have the hotel customer advisors asking you how everything is, you just do not want to make a fuss as on holiday. Also the people behind the main bar I also thought did a good job of looking busy and doing nothing. A few times as pool service so bad had to get one of them attention at the bar for a drink. I would add this was for soft drinks in the day and not alcohol.

Coming back the airport duty free was a lot more expensive than London Gatwick. Everything priced up in Euros as well. Could not believe perfume at least 20% more expensive than UK duty free. Very disappointing.

We would go back to the Maritim and just hope bar/beach service is greatly improved and some better evening entertainment.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Worth upgrading.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jotoole2

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I have read your post with great attention and I regret that your stay has not been up to your expectations.

Each of your comments has been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned. Kindly rest assured that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services and facilities. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation.

We would like to thank you once again for your comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further. I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

After returning to Mauritius for the tenth year we decided to try Maritim. This was one of our best breaks ever. We stayed in a suite that includes a butler. Everything that was presented was 5 star. Service,quality,food and overall experience was wonderful. First holiday that everything went 100%. Well done Maritim and keep up the good work

Room Tip: Book a suite for a little more you get a lot more
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum.

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we have met with your expectations. All of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've recently returned from a 10 day stay at The Maritim and cannot recommend it enough. My husband and I are celebrating our 50th birthdays this year (mine the day we arrived) and our 26th wedding anniversary whilst we were there, the staff could not have made us feel more special if they had tried.

We arrived on the early flight from London and after a short meet and greet we were taken straight to our room where we discovered we'd been upgraded into a very beautiful Junior Suite; there was champagne and fruit platters waiting for us along with stunning see views! Our adult children had also flown out as a surprise for my birthday and they had also been upgraded into a Privilege room next door. We discovered to our delight that we had not only had our rooms upgraded but they gave us the whole suite package of VIP beach area & service, a gourmet pass for my husband and I for our entire stay, a free horse riding session for 2, 30% off any spa treatments and the services of a butler!

The hotel is extremely we maintained in both the rooms and communal areas with beautiful gardens too, but the outstanding feature as many before have said is the staff. From arrival to departure everyone was so friendly and helpful and made us feel very pampered. Each day one of the guest liaison managers would come through the hotel and make a point of stopping for a chat, booking any activities or dining options and ensuring our stay was as we wanted. It didn't matter whether staff were from the bar, restaurants, reception, housekeeping, maintenance, spa, horse riding or management we were greeted with smiles by everyone and nothing was too much trouble.

We had gone on an AI basis which would have given us free use of the Belle Vue restaurant and a set menu at La Maree, with allowances towards the other restaurants. Our upgraded Gourmet Pass however allowed my husband and I to eat at any restaurant in the resort free of additional charges which we made good use of. The Belle Vue is fine for a good buffet breakfast and the lunch we had there was lovely, it had a good variety of dishes but may have been a little monotonous for a whole 10 day trip. La Maree is delightful, right on the beach with excellent food for both daytime and evening and Mithun entertaining us with origami. We ate at The Chateau twice, on my birthday and our anniversary, the food was excellent and the service attentive yet discreet; 2 lovely, very special evenings. Our favourite though was probably the Banyan Asian fusion restaurant, delicious food and very well looked after by Kumar.

My husband and son played golf everyday which they enjoyed, not too challenging but fun enough in the heat; they took their own clubs with them so there were no additional charges. My daughter and I went horse riding twice (once for free) which was a fantastic experience, again we were looked after very well by the stable staff. The horses are ex racehorses so not the usual plodders used for hacking! We rode at 5pm both times, cantering along the beach at sunset is an experience I will always remember and can thoroughly recommend.

We were looked after throughout our stay by Reaz our butler, who was very attentive and did a great job of decorating our bed with towel origami and petals on our special nights!

But over and above all the other great aspects of our holiday I have mention Jay who runs the VIP beach area with such fantastic attention to detail and humour; being welcomed to a wonderfully comfortable bed with a glass of Kir every morning is something I could get used to! Jay comes round regularly with drinks, snacks, even the odd iced towel all delivered with a smile and a joke; a really great guy.

We definitely plan to return some day, a truly fabulous holiday; thank you Maritim you most certainly do yourself proud.

Room Tip: We had room 213 which is a beautiful, large suite with a huge bathroom/dressing room, lounge, bedroo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jackiecakes

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius as “fabulous”.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your helpful and useful feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Rather than having a whoop up party here my husband wanted to take us to Mauritius to celebrate his half century. My daughter helped choose the hotel as she wanted to ride horses in the sea and this hotel had a riding stable. She did manage it with her dad but you have to ride bare back! I attended the spar on these occasions which was idyllic. If you waited to book on the day they were offering up to 30% off treatments. My husband and son dived most of the holiday and were very happy with the sea life, actually met up with a couple of sharks.
The staff in the hotel could not do enough for you. Always greet you with a warm smile and hello. Our beach waiter did a sterling job keeping us topped up on tropical smiles and bamboo surprises. We had a prestige room which was spacious and over looked the sea, kids had a premier room (difference was a small walk in wardrobe) and we were able to eat in the beach bar for breakfast which was not included in their room offer. We ate in all the restaurants abet we had to pay supplements in those but the restaurant that offered the buffet was just great. Good choice of food and plenty of choice.
We did one excursion, a speed boat trip across to the west f the island. A great day out and we felt like Miami vice.
Evening entertainment was limited not sure if it was due to being the winter season but it was relaxing to sit in the quarterdeck bar with a cocktail and listen to the background music.
I would recommend the hotel, it was clean, the staff attentive and food excellent.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracie H
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I treated ourselves and stayed here for 7 nights on a fully inclusive package (all food and drinks included)

Our stay was unbelievable from the time they off loaded our luggage right til the end. When you arrive, you are greeted by the hostess and presented with chilled drinks and hot towels. You are then seated and while taking in the most amazing view they do the check in process for you.

Our room had an amazing view but all rooms at the Maritim have a view of the beach.

We tried out all the included sport activities. We especially enjoyed the canoe tour. I would recommend doing that. I wish I remembered the gentleman that took us on the tour because he was incredible.

We also ate at all 3 restaurants including the fine dining one. I thought that the beach restaurant was the best but you have to make a booking because its so busy. Really romantic eating dinner on the beach. I also like that you are required to dress up for dinner. The buffet restaurant always has something different to offer evey night with a different theme so you really won't get bored of the food and it is delicious!! The fine dining restaurant is good for a special night out. The prices are similar to any other fine dining experience.

I have absolutely no complaints about this amazing resort. We enjoyed it so much that I paid for my parents to stay there when they visited Mauritius this year.

The location of the hotel is also incredible. We only left the resort twice to do some touring. The resort has a free scooter hire service which we used to ride around Mauritius. Really great!! We then went on a submarine tour.

Mauritius is a place where you mainly stay at the resort so I would recommend just splurging a little and booking a really amazing resort. If you're gonna travel all the way there then you might as well stay at the best place. The Maritim is exactly that. The BEST resort to stay at in Mauritius.

5 star service all the way. Thank you for an incredible time!!! Look forward to the next visit.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa.Mley
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Lovely clean hotel. Excellent breakfasts and good choice of buffet in the evening. Also nice to have the choice of eating in the buffet restaurant or eating at one of the other restaurants, more formally. The staff throughout the hotel were excellent, helpful and very friendly. Our only criticism was the evening entertainment. Yellow Submarine and My My My Delilah are not exactly Mauritian and although the musicianship was good, the content was poor. It would have been nice to have a few more Mauritian "themed" evenings.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beachbelle_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!