This hotel is excellent value for money, gives perfect service and has a beautiful beach backed with trees so it looks natural and unspoilt.
I researched for a couple of months before booking so save yourself some time and look no further. It's position is perfect for climate in the winter as the north and west coast is the warmest, sunniest and driest in the winter. It may be rather hot in the summer when you might choose the east coast for the breeze.
The restaurant on their beach is idyllic for breakfast and lunch. Menu choice a little restricted to fish or curry but also provides one pasta dish so perfectly adequate for lunch. Once we had realised that you could eat off the set menu for either no extra or very little extra money we went there in the evenings. Try the well being menu Australian steak, excellent and included in your 750 rupee allowance for each person on all inclusive. The Mauritian kreole restaurant was not worth the supplement as you could eat their dishes in other parts of the hotel for free.
The bar is first class for service and relaxation and we met up with other guests here to share the day before going on to dinner. Try a cocktail or two.
The room we had was prestige and was absolutely stunning, no one could be disappointed with the spacious and stylish rooms. Spotlessly clean with plenty of shampoo etc.
the pool was a reasonable size and had an infinity part which looked out onto the river and sea.
Sunbeds always available on the beach. If you want front row close to hotel then maybe getting up early might be needed but since the sun set at 6pm, we were always at breakfast by 8am to make the most of the day. It seemed hottest between 9am and 3 pm. We were very lucky with weather and had only two overcast but warm days.
Definitely recommend first or second floor rooms to reduce chance of insect and animal life in your room. We had none in ours which was on the first floor. It is a tropical country after all.
Snorkelling was good only on a couple of days as there was a tide and wind that created waves for a lot of days. Swimming great though you will need hard soled shoes to swim in as there are sea urchins when you swim out after about 15 to 20 ft.
Sea sports such as kayaking excellent. Watch out though for boat trips sold to you on the beach as we booked through the parasailing guy and were promised a large boat with a loo, what turned up was a single outboard motor speed boat that was so small we all got soaked within first 15 mins of an hour trip and were rather cold. It was also dangerously small for the waves. We were given a 30% refund when we asked but still! something to bear in mind if you prefer the travel in the boat to be enjoyable rather than endured. Excellent trip though with dolphins and whales seen.
South tour rather touristy as you would expect but still a good way to see the climate change in the island and to get a feel for the tropical nature of the inland areas.
Top tips, ask the taxi driver to take you to Mont Choisy and Tamarin bay as these are both beautiful public beaches, but not at the weekend as they get very busy. Do the bike ride to trou aux biche from the hotel, the guide is terrific and the ride is manageable with lots of stops.
We went to flic en flac and weren't impressed as beach full of broken coral, waves and tide were strong.
We went to visit the Oberoi hotel which is across the bay from Maritim and found it very very quiet with only about 6 guests seen. Our visit was received with distrust and scepticism by its staff. Not very welcoming.
We walked or cycled past other hotels such as the intercontinental which looked a little down at the heels, the Westin which is due to reopen soon and looked ok but didn't have such a good beach for swimming, the plantation which we walked though and wouldn't touch with a barge pole, the meridien which again looked from the outside to be a bit jaded.
All in all the maritim was excellent on so many fronts compared to lots of others. With such good value for money you can expect a broad range of clientele and won't be tripping over prep school parents in high numbers! We found the atmosphere to be low key and relaxing. Everyone friendly.
The only downside was the lack of an adult only section of the beach and pool and the selfish behaviour of some smokers who pollute the fresh beach air with their smoke. So to be perfect Maritim, why not have an adult only smoke free zone of the beach ( which is huge )and would be easily accomplished.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava