“Can't wait to see you all back in 2016!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to see you all back in 2016!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Maritim from the 16th of June as the first part of our twin centre. The grounds, the rooms and the people will not disappoint, which luckily enough for us this hotel delivered above and beyond. This was especially important for us as we had seen the Maratim and were interested in our wedding being held here, with quite a few quests joining us so we were here to check out its suitability etc for our guests with children, and the All inclusive option.

Well we sealed the deal for our wedding in a matter of 3 days for August 2016 if that's any indication of how much we loved this place!! The hotel is beautiful from the grounds to the general ambiance of the place. There are so many names to mention I really would be here all day!

Jean who takes care of the Maritim dogs, who are just LOVELY!!! there is apparently a overbreeding dog issue in Mauritius. The hotel has taken in around 5-6 dogs all with their own "maritim" dog collar and all just so sweet they really are harmless. The way they are treated and cared for for me being an animal lover was just lovely to see. And endearing the hotel embraces this problem and helps with the cause on the island, through an organisation called PAWS. And Jean who looks after the dogs, you will never meet a kinder more compassionate man if you tried, I'm really looking forward to seeing how he's doing when we return for our wedding and working on my French hahaa!.
And don't worry if you don't like dogs they really don't bother you, if you love dogs well they will happily sit and have their tummy tickled all day and come on a little wander with you, they just love a bit of TLC! I easily tried to steal bacon from the breakfast buffet and they didn't want to know, that's how well fed and cared for they are! But the work Jean does I though he deserved a special mention as well as all the beach guys, such kind and polite people, again people I hope to still be there in a couple of years time!!

Food is beautiful from La Maree this was one of our favourite restaurants to eat at and on a few occasions didn't even go over our All inclusive credit, breakfast at Belle Vue always had plenty to offer and the view looking down to the pool and sea is a beautiful way to start the day, especially after all those mojitos the night before (yes included in the A/I) Les Fialos was another big hit with us burger and chicken burgers with chips a variety of side salads would be great for kids and was with my partner who eats like one. (again included in your A/I) unless you want a rack of ribs or specialty dishes like we did a couple of times at La Maree on lobster night don't expect to go over you All Inclusive option at all!

Weather when we was there on my iphone it read 22C everyday.....which was rubbish it ranged easily from 24-27c maybe slightly higher one day during our week there. So again if you've any worries on weather it was glorious in the day time, at night time a shawl I would highly recommend it does get a bit nippy!!

As for the pool as another reviewer has picked up on......it was just too cold to enjoy :( and I love a good swim but it was positively too cold, I wonder if it is heated?! if it is that I think should really be addressed as it was just empty most days people taking 5mins to bravely dip in then straight out!
As when I return in august 2016 with my wedding party apparently the weather will be slightly cooler so a bit of a worry if realistically it will be able to be enjoyed during Mauritius winter months, which is a shame!! Especially for the children too!!

As we were there just for a week before we moved on the next leg of our holiday (where after 3 days we wished we would of just stayed put at the Maritim!!) We didn't really get out of the hotel, we tried the free snorkelling expedition from the water sports centre, although there is not much to see and the reef is quite lifeless. I always say having been to the Maldives we were spoiled and everywhere else is a bit of a disappointment in comparison!!
I'm sure on the excursions on the east side there would be more colour and marine life so again to us wasn't a big deal, as we hope to do all that when we return. But if you're off here soon and want to do some snorkelling, apparently excursions by catamaran over to Flic en Flac will not disappoint!!
But as for previous reviews commenting on the hotel beach and needing sea shoes to go in the sea......hmmmm didn't quite get that, wasn't an issue for us at all! In face it was the VIP beach area (For those in suites or higher categories of room to the privilege rooms) I think that was possibly the worst part of the beach in terms of needing shoes from washed up coral anywhere on the beach. But again I found those comments unfounded and a bit silly about needing shoes on the beach!!

Evening entertainment consists of the most amazing acoustic singers and musicians the vibe is truly so laid back it's lovely. I do think with children evening times could become a bit boring so maybe a bit more could be done in other parts of the hotel for a bit more liveliness and those who like to get up on their feet, obviously In a tasteful way evenings could just be a bit more lively to break up the evenings a bit!

We've made one of the biggest decisions of our lives to get married here because of its beauty and the impression we were given off all the staff who work here, we really did fall In love with the place!
And another special thank you to Madhavi our wedding co-ordinatior for putting our mind at ease over a few things for the wedding, although we are still awaiting some important information we were promised weeks ago........which we are still awaiting graciously, but feeling slightly frustrated haha.

But all in all our stay from arrival to departure was phenomenal. We can't wait to bring our family and friends to such a beautiful place. And the all inclusive is great value for money with the credits at other restaurants, which is yet again another reason we feel so comfortable bringing our loved ones over.
This place is truly gorgeous and exceeded our expectations and only hope it does for our family and friends! And that goes to any of you thinking to go yourself.....book it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
9 Thank shivon1000
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your helpful and useful feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

We would like to thank you once again for your comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further. I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back in 2016!

Yours sincerely,

Jens Lassen
MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 week stay, joined by our 3 sons and wives. We had high expectations after reading the previous reviews and are delighted to say that these were not only met,but also exceeded.
Location was great, less than an hours journey from the airport, and the view from reception made it all worthwhile. Between the family we had both privilege and prestige rooms,both well furnished and spotlessly clean. We loved breakfast at La Maree because of the wonderful setting but the Belle Vue provided you with more extensive choices. Service at the beach for drinks/ snacks was superb with the staff pre-emoting your every wish.Evening meals were split between Belle Vue and La Maree generally. We loved the ambience of eating by the beach but the menu was slightly limited compared to Belle Vue buffet (don't miss Seafood night!) Plenty of activities if you wish so that you can be as busy ,or not ,as you please.I found it refreshing that there was no pressure to join in and it was left to you to persue.The staff are one of this hotel's main assets,friendly and efficient,always with a smile on their faces. Guest communication staff interact daily with guests,checking that there are no problems.
Great attention to detail as I witnessed with staff using rope lines to ensure all the chairs in the restaurants were perfectly lined up,even doing this with the sun loungers! All in all, a wonderful holiday and I envy anyone waiting to go.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank JohnVB
Chestfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have just returned from 2 weeks at this amazing hotel. I cannot rate this hotel enough. We would like to thank all the staff that made our visit so memorable for my partner's 60th birthday. Thanks especially to Sanjeev and Harish, our two butlers, who worked tirelessly to make everything so special. Also Dave and Jay on the beach who served us Pina Colladas, Champagne and food on the beach each day. We ate in all the restaurants but the one that was amazing was Le Chateaux where a piano is played and the service is excellent. Outside are tall trees where there are fruit bats jumping around. Breakfast in the Belle Vue was good but the only criticism I have is that in the evening, the food was not brilliant in this particular self serve restaurant.
We stayed in a suite which was really lovely, so we had access to the private beach and had a Gourmet Pass which enabled us to eat where we wanted at no extra cost.
The weather could only be described as "tropical". It is Winter in Mauritus at this time. The daily temp was around 24C and there was alot of cloud and showers at times but that was very short lived as the sun always came out, so it was always nice and we came back really suntanned.
I can honestly say that this was our best holiday ever. The hotel is described as Beyond Paradise and actually, it is.......................

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Junior Suite if possible - it is really worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Linatchestfield
Swanley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My partner & I stayed here for a week in May 2014, which now seems so long ago! Having had to endure two seven hour flights, being personally welcomed by the hotel staff and being sat down in the reception overlooking Turtle Bay with the Indian Ocean literally metres away - amazing! We were provided with ice cold flannels to freshen our faces and also a non alcoholic cocktail. Definetly what we needed!

Throughout our entire stay the staff could not do enough, from making sure we were ok every day through to ensuring that everything met our requirements. Of the 7 days, we visited the spa on 4 days - definitely a must do whilst you're there! Having not ever visited a spa before I was quite sceptical, however having various treatments, I walked out a very relaxed person!

The food was great, so much variety and lots to choose from to suit all needs. Although the hotel did let us down one evening when they planned an evening meal where everything was fish based! My partner doesn't eat fish, so they left little to choose from. We made the hotel aware that we weren't happy and they apologised, although it seems that they scrapped that idea as I don't think it was very popular with many people!

The beach and pool areas are amazing and again the staff are more than happy to bring drinks to you (I wasn't complaining!). There is much to do, or little to do - however you decide to spend your stay there is something for everyone.

The evening entertainment was fantastic with three guys playing acoustic songs in several of the beach bars - definitely a hit with everybody. A return trip will definitely be planned as we really did have the most enjoyable experience! I'm glad that there were only a few children too, we planned it right as we were leaving just as they all came during half term!

Room Tip: Pick a room that faces the sea!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sam H
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

After in excess of 2 years planning we were blown away by both the country and hotel we’d finally chosen!
The Maritim was everything we’d expected and much much more. From the truly wonderful staff to the basics of the mini bar absolutely everything was fantastic.
We had booked via a local independent travel agent (Westway Travel) who in turn used a tour operator “If Only” who we’d never heard of. We’d found the “big” tour operators were overpriced and “unhelpful” as we’d already decided on most of our choices they simply didn’t want to accommodate us at all.
We arrived at the hotel tired but ready to expect that our room wouldn’t be ready for quite some time. Like other reviewer’s we’d prepared for this by packing a change of clothes etc. in our hand luggage. However, we weren’t expecting the perfect arrivals/departure lounge. We were checked in quite quickly and then taken to the lounge where we were given a more than adequate private locker with a key where all of our hand luggage fitted nicely. We were then able to use one of the shower rooms to freshen up [towels/toiletries provided] and get started on our holiday.
The first thing we wanted was a drink so we quickly found the bar and the first of many cups of vanilla tea were drunk. We proceeded to watch the water skiing taking place from the jetty and unbeknown to us this would become a daily ritual as laughing at someone’s attempts at water skiing is entertaining - although it also assured that we never tried it!
The main bar overlooks the beach/pool/jetty and is open from around 9am for all drinks including hot/cold/alcoholic and non-alcoholic. The seating stretches around the bar itself and spills around the main pool and we never struggled to find a seat at any time of the day.
There are an army of staff serving drinks from each bar in the hotel and they covered the beach and pools too so if you’re inclined to be lazy you can be served at your sunbed. We never used this service but it looked like there was a flag system involved.
Although there is no bar service there are beautiful sofa’s/chairs around the reception area that are so comfy we found ourselves dropping off to sleep on that first day while we waited for our room. They are the perfect place to curl up with a book – not that there aren’t plenty of other places to sit and read.
Unlike most other hotels we didn’t encounter any loud music during the day and weren’t approached at all to “join in” with anything, which we found a refreshing change as it can become very tiresome having to justify simply being left alone to holiday in peace! There was entertainment most evenings in the bar and the volume simply depended on where you sat.
The food was good and plentiful and a good selection for veggies. Like most hotels they have weekly menu’s so it does repeat but we do the same thing at home so I don’t see a problem with it personally. After all you don’t have to cook it or wash up so what is there to moan about! There are multiple restaurants with clear indications of the All Inclusive (AI) choices. We didn’t feel the need to go off the AI choices with the exception of afternoon tea at the Chateau – we fully recommend this @ £10 per head.
As we’d booked a Prestige room breakfast at the La Maree was included. Unfortunately we didn’t use it for the first few days and we wished had had tried it sooner as it was lovely. The setting was unbeatable, the staff were lovely and to top it off the food was great and cooked/prepared to order! We would spend hours at breakfast just looking out to sea with our feet in the sand.
If like us you “need” chocolate/snacks take the free shuttle to La Croisette and stock up in the supermarket avoiding hotel shop prices. No one wants to pay £2 for a Twix from the mini bar! Talking of the mini bar we were very cheeky and asked the lads to remove the wine/soft drinks and just fill it with beer - you can get 8 bottle of beer in those fridges.
The crowning glory on this review has to be the staff/people of Mauritius. They simply wanted to ensure that you wanted for nothing and had a wonderful time. It was slightly weird that they remembered your name and often sought you out to check on things but a nice touch nevertheless.
I feel it would be unfair to single out individual staff members as they work together so well as a team, many of them behind the scenes.
Mauritius is a truly wonderful country/people/place and we will be back…….. after all it would be rude not to!
Any Questions feel free to PM me

Room Tip: All rooms are good :)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank UKRemus
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the Maritim Resort for 10 days in June (2014). We arrived very early on a sunday morning. The staff were very friendly and welcomed us with drinks and a cold towel. We traveled with our little girl of 12 months. The check-in process was for some reason quite lengthy and we were not told why we were kept waiting. Eventually the concierge said that our room was being 'refreshed' (not really sure what that meant). Our room was lovely and they also asked us if we wanted and changing table set up in our room.

The belle vue restaurtant has a weekly rotating menu. The food was freshly cooked each day and fresh fruit available at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The staff were happy to warm milk for our daughter and make food for her if we felt there wasn't anything suitable from the buffet. We dined at the Le Banyan restaurant three times and the food was lovely, waiters again were very accommodating and even provided a birthday cake for our daughter.

The best food was at the Chateau where we had brunch on a sunday. They had a buffet layout but we could also order from their menu which had some nicer food. This was a very nice fine dining restaurant. The only downside was that there was no changing table in the bathroom for babies.

The la maree restaurant was nice, but some days there were a lot of flies which were difficult to get away when you are eating. The german restaurant was lovely as you could have meat and fish grilled freshly for you. We had lunch her and at La Maree a number of times. Both these restaurants are right by the beach so a lot more convenient than going all the way to Belle Vue.

We spent most of the time on the beach as our daughter loved playing in the sand. The kids club was well stocked with toys but only for children over 3 years, but we were allowed to borrow toys for the beach. This was helpful as we didn't have to keep bring our own bucket and spade to the beach. We did spend a couple of days by the pool, but the pool was freezing, this is the main down point of the resort as their pool is not heated and was not suitable for baby's. We even had to brave the cold water to have a quick swim. This is reason I have not given Maritim 5 stars.

The farm on the resort is brilliant for kids. The horses are amazing and kept well. We walked up to the farm a number of times on the holiday. The waterfall is also a must but a bit difficult if you have a buggy, but its possible.

We went snorkeling a number of times out to reef but the coral is mostly dead and not many fish. You have to really look and get close to the reef to see anything good. The tides were quite rough some days so it got difficult to get close to the reef without hitting them.

Be careful of the sellers on the beach as one couple lost their money to one of the seller after they were sold a dolphin trip which was not what they were expecting and were told.

Staff on the resort are brilliant, everyone is very friendly and happy to help. We played archery most days which was fun. The archery staff give you lots of tips and we also had a go on the crossbow.

They have daily deals on the spa so don't pre-book as its not worth paying the extra. I had a back and neck massage which was amazing. Definitely recommend a massage if you have a bad back.

We didn't go on any trips outside the resort but a number of people recommended the walking with lions tour and going to the south.

Overall I would definitely recommend Maritim and would visit again.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room if you have baby and buggy as you don't want to take the buggy up an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pri14
Newmilns, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

A wonderful holiday booked through Emirates Holidays with a Privilege room balcony overlooking the palm trees and the Indian Ocean. The Emirates part of it was just immaculate with private pick ups and beautifully organised tours.
The hotel is set in a stunning location in an extensive and wonderfully kept estate with every facility and activity on and off the water that you could possibly want. The staff throughout were superb - warm, friendly, courteous and efficient. The view from your dining table is breathtaking, the rooms were superbly appointed, clean and cool.
There is so much to do you don't really ever have to leave the hotel, but Mauritius is such a stunning island it would be folly not to explore far and wide as we did.
I stayed at the Maritim fifteen years ago and the hotel, good then, has improved and tastefully expanded and developed since then.
What has changed in fifteen years is the reef and the sea - there are less fish, damaged coral and the water is less clear in the bay outside the hotel. If you are a diver, the Maldives have miles better diving but the Maritim still gives decent snorkelling.
The food in the main (all-inclusive) restaurant from Tuesday to Sunday was splendidly good buffet style food themed each night - African, Indian, Mauritian etc - with a great mixture of tastes. The real eccentricity was a fixed three course meal on Monday nights which on both the Mondays we were there was, frankly, and sadly, pretty poor being pretty tasteless and not at all interesting. The alternative La Maree beach restaurant has an equally uninteresting similar menu but maybe we are just picky.
We have just had the most perfectly wonderful holiday there and I would recommend it to anyone - particularly if you like doing lots of activities. Just go to the local restaurant on a Monday night for your dinner!!

Room Tip: We were in the first floor level rooms numbered in the 300's and the balcony view through the pa...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AilishhII
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Le Morne
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,287 reviews

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!